Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

Philip Clark

24 minutes ago, Dave Weiser said:

I can't get enough of this - the Cinema version of Yes's It Can Happen, from the deluxe edition of 90125. Jon Anderson is notably absent. Chris Squire handles the vocals, and it really drives home for me what a huge part of Yes's sound Squire's voice was. I also love the detuned synth parts.

I had never heard that... I like it much better than the originally released version! Yes, Squire's voice... in fact, when I bought Fragile as my first Yes album in 1972, I discovered from the start that I liked Squire's voice better than Anderson's. But also the arrangement... in the sections that are different, the melodies/rhythms/changes are all better on the pre-Anderson version. Other Anderson-less Squire work (Drama, Fish Out Of Water) also has some of my favorite "Yes." 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random trip down Bonnie Raitt rabbit hole. Great Live jam from 1972 radio station gig.

Of course her famous “I can’t make you love me” songwriters song. It’s amazing how far BR’s singing pocket is behind the beat. Tough to do that and have it sound perfect.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

On 11/13/2022 at 7:16 PM, Docbop said:

Think a big part of why I was in the music biz no matter what gig it was because I could hear stories like James Poyser is telling about the making of Chicken Grease.   This was also the birth of the Soulquarians doing these sessions for D'Angelo's Voodoo,  Erykah Badu Mama's Gun,  The Roots Things Fall Apart, and Common Water For Chocolate all at the same time and everyone playing on each others albums. 

This was great.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

4 hours ago, 16251 said:

I really dig the Emmet Cohen and his trio with Russell Hall bass and Kyle Poole drums.   Emmet does educational streams occasional on FB and for the first one it was Emmet with Russell and Kyle.    Emmet's knowledge of the early Jazz pianists is always impressive and so is his bandmates.    Then the subject of Barry Harris came up in the discussion.   Emmet, Russell and Kyle all have spent a lot of time in Barry Harris workshops especially Russell.   When talking about practicing Russell says he mainly plays piano when he practices not bass.   Guess that's why Russell is such a musical bass player all that time spent with Barry Harris and mainly practicing piano.   

FYI  this isn't Russell in this video but check Emmett's regular Monday YouTubes and Russell is playing. 

On 11/16/2022 at 3:22 PM, Dave Weiser said:

I can't get enough of this - the Cinema version of Yes's It Can Happen, from the deluxe edition of 90125. Jon Anderson is notably absent. Chris Squire handles the vocals, and it really drives home for me what a huge part of Yes's sound Squire's voice was. I also love the detuned synth parts.

Squire has such a unique voice. Band was originally gonna be called Cinema before Anderson's return and involvement, and the instrumental Cinema is a nod to that. Eddie Jobson was also to be the keyboardist (and is visible on the rooftop in the Owner of a Lonely heart video) but Tony Kaye came in, I believe due to record company wanting a minimum of original members??? jobson was quite bitter about the whole affair (his rantings are online). The whole Yes history is fascinating, even Wakeman's return and Moraz' sacking. And of course the latest Two Different Versions of Yes, despite the namings.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Found via a Marty Friedman post:

This is Kohmi Hirose, living legend, singer and composer. Her music was one of the first things that got me interested in Japanese music.

Her songs are pop, but they are all based on rather sophisticated jazz harmony and what I like to call, “expensive” chords, meaning any chords that have words and numbers after them.

In the late 90s, I asked Rick Beato to teach me her music, as I was not familiar with much of that. Like many musicians, I could play much more than I could understand.

That means that I could play most things if I was shown them, but there was no way I could come up with anything of that depth if I didn’t understand it in the first place. Make sense?

So when Rick taught me a lot of the basic theory behind her music and some of the chord voicing, it all just clicked and a completely new world opened up.

A fan made a pretty nice video with my version of one of Kohmi Hirose’s songs.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:42 AM, Redknife said:

Of course her famous “I can’t make you love me” songwriters song. It’s amazing how far BR’s singing pocket is behind the beat. Tough to do that and have it sound perfect.

I must have heard that song 1000 times, and this performance is still perfectly fresh, and entrancing. It's proper old-fashioned singing. I like that her phrasing and enunciation is completely natural, completely unmannered. And perfectly on pitch without assistance.

Cheers, Mike.

12 hours ago, 16251 said:

I'm listening to this now.

I am not sure who will read this but after watching this concert I must say the pianist has amazing chops and abilities but I feel his setup/sounds was a fail (IMHO.)

Steinways are my favorite but here I thought it sounded bad. A Yamaha CFX, etc should of been supplied. The Roland Wurlizer sounds sucked and felt out of place; Rhodes would of killed. Hated the cheesy transistor organ patch (thin, uninspiring,) the strings - meh. And lastly, what about big red for some Rhodes tones? Once again, great player but get a better tech. I kept asking myself where was Stanley's input?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Billy Cobham/George Duke. I never saw this before; thanks YT algorithm. I saw same group in Boston, also 1976, at Symphony Hall.  I can easily tribute each musician but y'all know about them.  BTW - at 32:00 George killing Rhodes solo and if you continue he plays solo and goes into Zappa-inspired, so great.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251