Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm still a Casio snob

The Piano Man

You guys are right (sigh).....I'm boxing mine up to ship it back even as I type this.....oh how I shall miss you PX5s........

........not. I could give a toss less......it's the best sounding stage piano I've ever owned. Period. Plus, at 56, I take a certain perverse joy in giving less of a sh*t what other people (musos in particular) think about me every single day!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. It's been stated over and over in this thread that for many people - the general audience as well as musicians - the CASIO brand is associated with toy keyboards.

I have to go with Tom on this. Last night at practice I unveiled my new PX350 that now sits below my MOX. My band mates all basically said, "a Casio???? Really???"

Then they heard it and all was well.

I saw a band a few months ago where the keyboard player was using a new PX5s. My friend who went with me, kept saying ," look, that dude is using a Casio...must have been a sale at Walmart."

The perception is out there for people who don't know any better.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Do you think that the first time some jazz guy like Jimmy Smith was seen playing a "Hammond organ," some people thought, "that's the same kind of organ my mom plays at home/at church"?

Do you think that the first time someone saw some heavy rocker like Jon Lord was seen playing a "Hammond organ," some people thought, "that's the same kind of organ my mom plays at home/at church" or "that's the same kind of organ those wussy jazzers play"?

:snax:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Do you think that the first time some jazz guy like Jimmy Smith was seen playing a "Hammond organ," some people thought, "that's the same kind of organ my mom plays at home/at church"?

Do you think that the first time someone saw some heavy rocker like Jon Lord was seen playing a "Hammond organ," some people thought, "that's the same kind of organ my mom plays at home/at church" or "that's the same kind of organ those wussy jazzers play"?

Sure! There were Hammond organs in lots of churches when Jimmy Smith made his debut.

There were probably some musos in the audience who recognized it as a Hammond. Same with Jon Lord and all the rest.

What your point, Joe? :)

But when the rubber hits the road I'm with this guy:

I could give a toss less......it's the best sounding stage piano I've ever owned. Period. Plus, at 56, I take a certain perverse joy in giving less of a sh*t what other people (musos in particular) think about me every single day!

:thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I stand by my experienced observation that placing black tape on the logo is downright silly.

And your experienced observation is fine... if you want to believe that, tucktronix. :)

However, musicians tape over the logo of their keyboards all the time.

Go back and read what I said in a previous post:

Because of my rebel nature, if I loved the Moog keyboard enough to buy it, that means I've already thought about how I would look on stage playing it. Therefore, I wouldn't think twice about the opinion of the people in the audience.

So what if you ARE concerned about what people think about the name on your keyboard, be it MOOG or CASIO?

Then the solution is to put a piece of tape - black, brown, polka dot - whatever, over it.

If you thing that's downright silly, then perhaps you have a better idea?

Would that be to:

Have a few shots before going on stage to lessen the anxiety?

Pop a Xanax?

Or just leave your CASIO at home?

No. It's been stated over and over in this thread that for many people - the general audience as well as musicians - the CASIO brand is associated with toy keyboards.

Again, if you are a musician and you are concerned with this, then either leave the Casio board at home, put a piece of tape over the logo, or do whatever you do to lessen anxiety.

Tucktronix, are you questioning whether this perception exists?

Or are you thinking that there are no musicians who are concerned with this perception? The OP surely is.

Or do you think I'm just posting to bash Casio, even though I have praised it in previous posts.

BTW, I own a Casio keyboard and have gigged with it - no tape over the logo. :cool:

Identify the focus of your argument, tucktronix, or let it go.

This is getting downright silly.

Seriously dude, get over yourself. If you care that freakin' much about whatever name that's on the back of your rig, go ahead and cover it up. You won't see any black Lincolns show up at your house at night. If you really took the time to actually READ the last few posts, nothing was ever mentioned of me DOUBTING that there was any kind of brand perception. I've already said this several times before.. NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT in this area. In pretty much every band I've played in this town, I've seena few folks from the audience approach the guitar player or the drummer asking about their respective rigs, but hardly anyone dissing a particular brand. Even if there were any that I weren't aware of, I wouldn't give a rat's ass because those SAME folks are still hanging 'round, buying drinks and watching the band.

This is a town with a rich musical history... Eastman School Of Music, Hochstein, etc. Brand names take a back seat to what's being played on your gear. If you ain't got the skills to pay the bills, your nice little Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Nord or whatever won't save ya ;)

Oh BTW, the reason a lot of folks tape up their logos on the back of their keyboard, IIRC, usually have something to do with not wanting to display branding of any type.. and nothing to do with being embarrassed with the name, itself...???

And yes, I stand by my opinion that taping up logos(for the sake of embarrassment) is downright silly.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

:)

Easy, tucktronix.

It's not me who has the anxiety about the perception of the Casio brand. It's the OP (Original Poster).

And gosh-darn it, it really doesn't matter to me where you're from with the rich musical history and the black Lincolns. :facepalm:

The thread was started by a guy who had anxiety over the perception of the Casio brand. As far as I know, this has nothing to do with the Eastman School of Music. :rolleyes:

(Do they use Casio keyboards?) :)

Seriously tucktronix, dude, get over yourself.

LOL. :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

:)

Easy, tucktronix.

It's not me who has the anxiety about the perception of the Casio brand. It's the OP (Original Poster).

And gosh-darn it, it really doesn't matter to me where you're from with the rich musical history and the black Lincolns. :facepalm:

The thread was started by a guy who had anxiety over the perception of the Casio brand. As far as I know, this has nothing to do with the Eastman School of Music. :rolleyes:

(Do they use Casio keyboards?) :)

Seriously tucktronix, dude, get over yourself.

LOL. :laugh:

Again, you're missing my point..

My point(which was ALREADY stated several times during this "posting exchange") that I felt it was silly to tape up the logo on the back of your keyboard out of embarrassment(sorry if wasn't clear about that earlier).

And yes, there are Eastman students(or a lot of music schools for that matter) that do use Privias, outside of the real thing. Yamahas are not the only boards in music schools. And why not?? They're cheaper and the sound and piano action are just as good.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

No worries, tucktronix. I understand your point, and feel that it is valid.

You said that you felt it was silly to tape up the logo on the back of your keyboard out of embarrassment.

And I agree.

On the other hand, the OP expressed genuine anxiety about the topic. I gave him a solution. And later posted a few additional solutions.

My point is that his anxiety, although some folks here believe that it's unjustified, was very real - to him.

No, I've never taped up a logo. But I can't dismiss his point of view.

So let's talk about the quality of the Casio Privia keyboards.

I was looking for something smaller than my Kurzweil PC2X - an 88-key, 50 pound keyboard (plus a SKB hard case). When I bought it new, I was younger. I had never had an 88-key keyboard and really wanted it for the hammer action.

Years later, I surveyed the market for a 73/76 key keyboard with hammer action. There were just a few. I believe Yamaha had one, and there were a couple of controllers with it.

I was in Best Buy the first time I played a Privia. I had an open mind and so I gave it a shot. Well, I was astonished at the great action and pretty good tone I was getting from the onboard speakers. I liked it.

But I really wanted a 73/76 key keyboard with internal sounds.

Many years ago Dave Bryce posted that I didn't need no stinkin' 88-keys. I responded that if I have to haul that monster to a gig, I was damn sure going to play each and every one. :laugh:

To try out the size, I went ahead and bought a 76-key Casio WK-200. It doesn't have hammer-action, but I liked it for the price, the tone, and the portability. And when I took it home and connected it to my audio system, I was impressed. It has some quality sounds, including a velocity-sensing keyboard and stereo acoustic piano samples - all for $200!

I still have that board, and still play it... and I would recommend it to someone looking for something similar.

But Casio didn't make a 73/76 key keyboard with hammer action. And I still wanted one.

So when Nord came out with an Electro 3 HP, I bought it. It fit my needs.

I like the Nord a lot. However, if Casio had a 73/76 key hammer action keyboard on the market at the time, I certainly would have considered it.

My point is, and has been all along, that the OP had some very real anxiety. And whether it was silly or not for me to recommend taping up the logo, I'm OK if we have a difference of opinion there. However, that was just one of the many ways that he could alleviate his anxiety.

So - it's all good. I'm no Casio basher. I do think the OP has a valid point. And I do believe that some people think of Casio as the manufacturer of toy keyboards (along with Yamaha and others).

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing - as long as Casio can get the word out not only to musicians, but to other folks, that they now produce some very fine instruments that many of us are proud to own.

Now I saw that Jim Alfredson chimed in a few posts ago. He plays a Casio board. And I think Jim's music with Organisimo is... well, frankly, I'm in awe. Don't tell him this, but his stuff is very tasteful. Plus, when he came to my little town and played with Janiva Magness, BluesKeys and I went to see them. He did NOT disappoint. :thu:

Thanks for the spirited debate, tucktronix.

And for anybody else on this forum who thinks I'm a long-winded old fart...

Buy me a beer. I'll tell ya all about it. :cool:

Tom

You are correct, as usual, Tom. In my view, OP's problem is not the brand name on his instrument. If he tapes over the name, he will be anxious over the taping job or the brand of the tape. The problem is anxiety over what he imagines other people think about him. They have Rx medicine for that. ;)
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

You said that you felt it was silly to tape up the logo on the back of your keyboard out of embarrassment.

And I agree.

On the other hand, the OP expressed genuine anxiety about the topic. I gave him a solution. And later posted a few additional solutions.

My point is that his anxiety, although some folks here believe that it's unjustified, was very real - to him.

I was looking for something smaller than my Kurzweil PC2X - an 88-key, 50 pound keyboard (plus a SKB hard case). When I bought it new, I was younger. I had never had an 88-key keyboard and really wanted it for the hammer action.

Years later, I surveyed the market for a 73/76 key keyboard with hammer action. There were just a few. I believe Yamaha had one, and there were a couple of controllers with it.

I was in Best Buy the first time I played a Privia. I had an open mind and so I gave it a shot. Well, I was astonished at the great action and pretty good tone I was getting from the onboard speakers. I liked it.

Many years ago Dave Bryce posted that I didn't need no stinkin' 88-keys. I responded that if I have to haul that monster to a gig, I was damn sure going to play each and every one. :laugh:

To try out the size, I went ahead and bought a 76-key Casio WK-200. It doesn't have hammer-action, but I liked it for the price, the tone, and the portability. And when I took it home and connected it to my audio system, I was impressed. It has some quality sounds, including a velocity-sensing keyboard and stereo acoustic piano samples - all for $200!

I still have that board, and still play it... and I would recommend it to someone looking for something similar.

But Casio didn't make a 73/76 key keyboard with hammer action. And I still wanted one.

I like the Nord a lot. However, if Casio had a 73/76 key hammer action keyboard on the market at the time, I certainly would have considered it.

My point is, and has been all along, that the OP had some very real anxiety. And whether it was silly or not for me to recommend taping up the logo, I'm OK if we have a difference of opinion there. However, that was just one of the many ways that he could alleviate his anxiety.

So - it's all good. I'm no Casio basher. I do think the OP has a valid point. And I do believe that some people think of Casio as the manufacturer of toy keyboards (along with Yamaha and others).

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing - as long as Casio can get the word out not only to musicians, but to other folks, that they now produce some very fine instruments that many of us are proud to own.

Now I saw that Jim Alfredson chimed in a few posts ago. He plays a Casio board. And I think Jim's music with Organisimo is... well, frankly, I'm in awe. Don't tell him this, but his stuff is very tasteful. Plus, when he came to my little town and played with Janiva Magness, BluesKeys and I went to see them. He did NOT disappoint. :thu:

Tom

No worries, here. It's all good! Like I said, if the OP, or anyone for that matter wants to tape up their keyboard, it's a free country :) FWIW, I never discounted any idea of brand perception. Of course there is. There are people who bash Fords, Chevy's, etc. Mac vs PC.. it's a common thing.

What I'm saying is that keyboard brands are not taken seriously here. Not to say that there may not be any talking, or whispering "under the breath", but not enough to warrant any kind of anxiety over the name on your rig.

When it's all said and done, we're keyboard lovers here. So have fun with your board, Casio or otherwise, taped or otherwise. My point is don't worry about other's opinions, perceptions or whatever they think. Do what you do, and sound good doing it :)

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

The audience is there to pay me, enjoy the music, and blow smoke up my pipe. If they have a problem with me or my gear they are cordially invited to GTFO. Sometimes the invitation is less than cordial. Same deal for band leaders.

I got all that anxiety stuff out of my system a long time ago. If I gave a crap about what folks think I'd probably work harder on my grooming issues.

--wmp

And I agree.

Tom

Tom, my brother in law just bought a house in Blowing Rock. Is that near you? If so, I might want to buy you a beer sooner rather than later. It's a "vacation home" for him. I can stay there pretty much anytime...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Just another 2 (Canadian) cents here: Hammond has a good name for organs but they have had their share of crappy home organs too. I know as I had one for a while. Only a handful of horrible sounds and it included a very basic and non-realistic auto-rhythm and auto-accompaniment as well. The same deal goes for Yamaha keyboards.

I've lurked here for a while, and have been an experienced, working keyboardist for over 40 years. If I were to buy a Casio, it would be because it fits my needs as a player and I wouldn't blink an eye over my choice. But I would likely tape over the name on stage. Why? For all the reasons so well started by ITGITC. Public perception. If or when Casio manages to shed the 'toy' reputation, that might change my thoughts. But for now, the general public's perception is Casio = toy, and rather than risk that reflecting on me, I would choose to respect it with 30 seconds and a piece of tape. Simple.

And I'll take the cream-filled, if no one else wants it, thanks.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

And I'll take the cream-filled, if no one else wants it, thanks.

I'd recommend a good chocolate stout to go with that. :laugh:

http://www.maltedbarley.org/blog_post_pics/bcs.JPG

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Tom, my brother in law just bought a house in Blowing Rock. Is that near you? If so, I might want to buy you a beer sooner rather than later. It's a "vacation home" for him. I can stay there pretty much anytime...

Jimmy,

Blowing Rock is a resort town near Boone, NC where my daughter went to school. If you enjoy the (NC) mountains, Blowing Rock is a very nice little town.

But Raleigh is 3 hours to the east, and since she graduated, I don't have much reason to make it back.

Thanks for thinking of me, Jimmy. I hope things are going well for you!

Tom

PS If you'll buy the beer, I'll bring the donuts! :laugh:

Jimmy,

Blowing Rock is a resort town near Boone, NC where my daughter went to school. If you enjoy the (NC) mountains, Blowing Rock is a very nice little town.

But Raleigh is 3 hours to the east, and since she graduated, I don't have much reason to make it back.

Tom

I have been known to drive almost 3 hours for a beer...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Jimmy,

Tom

I would be a shame to be that close and not have a beer. If I decide to go, I'll let you know and I will make the beer happen...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

http://www.coldjet.com/blog/en/uploaded_images/iStock_000003152404XSmall-751774.jpg

Must have been really good beer!

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

....actually I'm considering attaching one of those LED stand lights to my Px- aimed at the name so even on a dark stage you can still see it's a Casio.....but then I DO like to occasionally tick random people off....
:thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not to drag this any further, but I have an interesting tidbit that I thought I'd throw out there. It's a common scenario that I've come across some gigs I've played. During break, someone approaches me, asking me about the keyboard I'm playing(note: example given is pre-PX-5S). I tell them it's a Yamaha MOX8. The person replies with "Cool. I have a Casio" at home. The folks 'round here have NO clue as to what's a "professional" keyboard vs a "toy" keyboard. They simply see a "keyboard". And let's not forget, Yamaha makes "toy" keyboards as well. Just sayin'

But I'm still good for beer... never too keen on doughnuts, tho

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

This thread is still going? :laugh::facepalm:

That's what I'm talking about. The most entertaining thread in a while. Please don't stop!!

Here's how Casio fixes their perception among the musician community that still has issues with the name. Release a CZ-10 (or whatever) with a touch screen, a VA of the CZ-1 and VZ-1, and throw in a new take on Synthesis a la V-Synth or something. Charge $3k for it after wrapping it up in a medal case. Six months later they're the talk of the town. I mean, isnt that what we see from the others these days? Capitalizing on their legacy with new technology? (Roland Jupiter 80 or D-50 card for V-Synth, DSI Prophet series, Korgs M1 / Triton soundset for Krome, Yamahas milking of the DX legacy)

Just a tongue in check thought If youre not laughing, you dont get it and are probably going to criticize me. LOL

~ That guy

In terms of the name, i think its kind of cool and unique the PX130 says "Privia" on it. I took to a songwriting event and many people (who weren't as versed or knowledgable about keyboards like all of us) enjoyed it and didn't really focus on the casio portion.

I think the only people who know names are other musicians. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the average audience member knows nothing of Nord, Kurzweil, Roland...they probably know Yamaha because of stereo components. But they will know Casio, and I doubt they would have any ill opinions of it. The only people who have EVER asked me about my rig were other musicians.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived