Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm still a Casio snob

The Piano Man

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only people who have EVER asked me about my rig were other musicians.

The only people who ever asked me about my rig were the ones helping carry it. That was decades ago. :facepalm:

You had people help carry it? How do I get that gig?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Please don't cover the Casio or Privia name on the PX-5s with black tape. It does not match the white color and would upset my artistic sensibility.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

http://static.hardwarestore.com/media/product/464610_front500.jpg

:laugh:

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The folks 'round here have NO clue as to what's a "professional" keyboard vs a "toy" keyboard. They simply see a "keyboard".

Same here. And quite a few local keyboardists I've seen live are playing some seriously old gear. No Casio's though...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Never was a Casio snob-owned the first Casiotone-still have it-but was not impressed with the PX350 sound(s), key action or effects, preferring instead the Yamaha (P105 to be exact).

However....I found the Yamaha to be not right for me as upon every bootup I had to transpose a half step down (darn those drop tuned guitar players), and adjust the reverb as nothing is saved when the board is shut down. Simple enough 'cept the the procedure for those two functions involve holding one button and one key which I always seemed to miss the correct one for some reason, and then you really never know if you've transposed correctly as there is no display..

Sooo...I took a chance on the PX 5S and yes, it's everything it's cracked up to be. Very impressed with it all...and I will gladly fly the Casio flag (or name plate as the case may be)...

I don't have much in the way of Casio products myself except for a watch and and old CSM-1 sound module but I have more respect for Casio than I do for companies like Bose for example. Casio gets a unfairly bad rap while Bose is overrated. I am familiar with products from both companies.

It's a mindset we have and we need to play, listen, drive etc. with an open mind when testing out products.

Not to go too far off-topic, but this is one of my all-time favorite internet pages, which has apparently been removed via pressure from the famously litigious Bose lawyers.

Fortunately, it is archived on the Way Back Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050211033741/http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Just don't click any links, as they are all dead. <<

Happy reading!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Not to go too far off-topic, but this is one of my all-time favorite internet pages, which has apparently been removed via pressure from the famously litigious Bose lawyers.

Fortunately, it is archived on the Way Back Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050211033741/http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Just don't click any links, as they are all dead. <<

Happy reading!

Let me hot link that for you.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

If you feel it's necessary.... ;)

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 4 months later...

Well I started this thread some time ago and I thought I should update by saying that, after trying several boards as a lighter weight alternative to my Nord Stage, I finally ended up buying...

A Casio PX5s. It should arrive later this week. I will post some photos when it does. I've got to say, I can't wait to get editing my stage settings and then packing an 88 key, 11kg piano into my car for the gig.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

A good sounding / feel board is essential, but the "look at the name" game always feels like the guitar god syndrome to me. Our guitar player brings seven & sometimes ten guitars, lines them up in front of my one keyboard so all the "vintage" faces of his trophys' can be seen. He's not a good player but dammit he's got a a guitar mu$eum.

The poetic justice is, people come up to him and say "what a great custom this or is that an original?" while I'll have people come up and say cool signature keyboard parts or nice piano lick! In the end it's how you play, not what you play.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Since we live in a wide world of vinyl, one simple fix is to sidestep the logo with an array of charmingly vulgar stickers. With an Xacto knife and a little care, you could easily configure a vista wherein a barbarian warrior is stabbing SpongeBob over a FUTURAMA set. You could also simply pull a Simpsons stunt and label your gear with a MORG logo. Presto, instant Yamasinordland. As of late, its been made more clear that keyboardists are often seen as the ugly bridesmaid, so you may as well flaunt it.

As to the idea of a bigger Casio... are you really ready for a $2k flagship, just to have a blend of the PX-5S with a WX control panel on top? I'm not yet convinced that an iPad is a necessity, but using one as the control panel for the giant synth in the PX seems wise. Smaller units almost always sell better than pricey flagships. If Casio released a Mega model, most of the crowd would just hoot and call it living bloatware.

I can't fault a company that serves its niche with measured forethought. Besides, our best secret weapon will always be handing out some SHUT UP to occasional detractors by making The Good Sound. As the great Elizabeth Taylor once said, "Success is the best deodorant."

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I can't fault a company that serves its niche with measured forethought. Besides, our best secret weapon will always be handing out some SHUT UP to occasional detractors by making The Good Sound. As the great Elizabeth Taylor once said, "Success is the best deodorant."

Even though people have ask me what kind of keyboard I'm playing since I painted my PX350,many times I get that quizzical look when I say "Casio".

I then immediately rip into a Rachmaninoff or Joplin, etc.. riff. That's my "shut up" Works like a charm. :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Our guitar player brings seven & sometimes ten guitars, lines them up in front of my one keyboard so all the "vintage" faces of his trophys' can be seen. He's not a good player but dammit he's got a a guitar mu$eum.

That's just sad! I have a dozen guitars, but would never dream of taking more than two anywhere with me. Occasionally, the second is for a different tuning, but it's usually just a spare, in case I break a string.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I'm not even a guitarist and I was taking 5 to gigs.

- My butterscotch Tele because it is my favorite.

- The black Tele because it has the b and g benders that I use.

- Something with humbuckers. Usually an old early 70s Swede.

Half the show was in Eb tuning so I was taking Eb guitars but the Morpheus fixed that problem.

I would also carry a Guitar setup with a Dobro style action and sometimes my old Ovation acoustic.

It was ridiculous.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived