Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm still a Casio snob

The Piano Man

My M-16 was a Mattel. I was told later it is not the same entity as the toy company.
Unless some other company was stamping the Mattel logo in their stocks, it was the toy company who made those Springfield stocks.

And I think the reason is the same one that allows Casio to make great keyboards at a low price: the large-scale economics driving good engineering for low variable cost.

I always wondered about that. According to the internet it is the Toy corporation and what they did was make plastic parts that went into M16s. Someone had told me it was a seperate entity.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. D-Bon, I can assure you that one of these

With an XW-P1 sitting above it can hang in any profession setting.

I don't recall saying that it couldn't.

To base your opinion on what you've seen in the PAST 1000+ live shows is just like saying you've got it all figured out without looking at the present and a very real future.

Got all what figured out? I don't think you understood what I said. I look at the present every time I see a live show. Not seeing any Casios. As for the future, well, it's yet to be written.

And to be clear, Casio's keyboards don't presently meet my needs, but I am not anti-Casio.

Makes me wonder if anyone here grew up poor. You have at your disposal an amazing instrument with a plethora of incredible features for under $1k and you're worried about the name?!?

I was that kid that always had the off-brand sneakers because we couldn't afford Nike and Adidas, etc. I put about as much weight on name brands when it comes to judging a product as I do with names and judging people.

Let go of your shallowness, buy the board, and be thankful you live in an era where such an instrument is possible for such a low price.

Louis C.K. on how everything is amazing and nobody's happy

[align:right]##

##[/align]

I still have a tough time playing a Nord for more than five minutes that red look really does something to me in a bad way.
:rolleyes:

No big deal. Get a black one.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/393/dscf0155xm8.jpg/

http://www.forat.com/allpictures/Madonna2/Madonna

Forgive me for the angry tone, but all the Casio haters need to get off their "wannabe-booshy" high horse and play some damn music! One person even suggested something as ridiculous as putting black tape on the name.. WTF!! I've owned my PX-5S for about a few months now and I've been receiving nothing but compliments on how great it sounds from fellow musicians and folks in the audience alike. For them to manufacture a great-sounding keyboard for a fraction of the cost of an entry from one of the big three, with support that is second to none.. that's highly unheard of in this market. It's been 2 months, and the novelty hasn't worn off yet ;)

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I do think there is "casio bias", simply due to the large number of consumer cheap keyboards made by them compared to the number of pro boards. I recall one band I was interested in joining ask me what gear I had, "just to make sure it wasn't a casio" or something like that. I've heard similar before where the name is used as a synonym for "non-pro cheap gear". As others have mentioned, it seems very similar to various car companies and their reputations when starting out vs what they became. I mentioned the p5s to a buddy after watching a video and he's like "what? a casio?!" yada yada yada.

Personally I love what they are doing and hopefully the brand will continue to grow and expand in the pro circles. I might have gotten a p5s but I just couldn't get on with the white plastic. I'm no great, or even good, player but I'm comfortable enough with my playing to feel ok regardless of what anyone thinks. If I got one and someone in my band starting objecting I'd start pointing at pot bellies, enough said....Hey even if you don't like Casio boards it's new competition to the fat old guys to up their game :)

Forgive me for the angry tone...

One person even suggested something as ridiculous as putting black tape on the name.. WTF!!

tucktronix,

Forgive me for the angry tone, :) but I am the guy who recommended the black tape. And I stand by my recommendation.

If someone likes Casio keyboards - enough to buy one and gig with it - but is concerned with audience perception, then simply cover the name and keep on playing.

Problem solved.

This thread stems from the OP having second thoughts about purchasing and gigging with a Casio keyboard because of audience perception.

Many here are confused about this being the original reason for his post so I've taken the time to copy it here:

There is nothing to compete with the Casio PX5s.

Excellent hammer action

Compact body and light weight

Zoning and other features

£850

Unfortunately, I still see the name "Casio". I know it's just a name, and I know I can't justify what I'm saying on any rational grounds, but I don't want a Casio.

If that exact keyboard said Korg, Kurzweil or Roland, I think I would have ordered one by now.

I need to take a good look in the mirror...

I stated, and I stand by it, than many people were introduced to Casio products when they received their first keyboard at Christmas or a birthday. It probably was a Casio, right?

Casio is known for these, as well as watches and calculators.

That's a fact. And that's OK, right?

However, many forumites - like you - posted replying how much they love their Casio keyboards. :love:

And I think that's OK too. But it's not the point of this thread.

The Piano Man listed four qualities that he really likes about Casio keyboards. Refer to his post above.

So the board itself is not the problem. The problem is that he believes if the audience saw Korg, Kurzweil, or Roland imprinted on the back of the keyboard instead of Casio, they would have greater approval of his choice of instrument and therefore, by association, would think more highly of him.

You can choose to believe that I am wrong when I state that many people equate Casio with cheap toy keyboards, calculators, and watches - and NOT premium-quality professional keyboards.

That's OK. But I stand by my belief.

Again, the OP was concerned with the audience's perception - not the features or quality of the instrument.

Personally, my advice is not to worry about it. But if you are worried about it, just put a piece of tape over the name.

Moog makes a fine instrument. We all know this. However, if I loved that Moog keyboard that I had purchased with my hard-earned money, but felt that the audience associated the Moog branding with a cheap toy, I would choose to either not worry about it, or put a piece of black tape over the Moog name and keep playing.

Because of my rebel nature, if I loved the Moog keyboard enough to buy it, that means I've already thought about how I would look on stage playing it. Therefore, I wouldn't think twice about the opinion of the people in the audience.

Casio makes a fine keyboard for the money. I believe that their business model is to build to a certain selling price point and sell it to a market that puts a great deal of importance on value - bang for the buck. So if they price the PX-5S at $1,000, it may have compromises that a $5,000 keyboard doesn't. But that's OK because Casio is pursuing a different market.

Sound reasonable to you?

For the money, Casio is one of the best boards available on the market today. And I think most guys here agree.

Forumites may also say that the Nord Stage 2 88 has some great features - but at $4,200 it's over-priced. Others may proclaim that the Nord Stage 2 88 is exactly what they want, and they're willing to pay $4,200 for it.

And that's OK because Nord has a very different business model.

My point is this: most of the guys here think Casio is building some worthwhile keyboards. I think so too.

On the other hand, I believe there is a perception from many people - some of who may be in your audience - that Casio is a manufacturer that primarily makes cheap (as in inexpensive, not necessarily in quality) toy keyboards like the one they got for Christmas when they were a kid.

So your angry tone is OK, Mr. tucktronix.

Really.

I understand.

But I'm sticking with what I said about the black tape. :)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

My M-16 was a Mattel. I was told later it is not the same entity as the toy company.
Unless some other company was stamping the Mattel logo in their stocks, it was the toy company who made those Springfield stocks.

And I think the reason is the same one that allows Casio to make great keyboards at a low price: the large-scale economics driving good engineering for low variable cost.

I always wondered about that. According to the internet it is the Toy corporation and what they did was make plastic parts that went into M16s. Someone had told me it was a seperate entity.

Further research shows that Milton-Bradley, the board game company, did make stocks for Springfields. They were also located in Springfield, MA, which may be a coincidence.

It's quite possible that I mixed MB with Mattel in my memory.

Back to the subject at hand. I agree with Tom, but still think we oughta shut him up by sticking a beer in his hand.

Meanwhile, I'm reminded of a keyboard player some time ago, who put a Bosendorfer logo on his electronic keyboard. :laugh:

And I'm the guy who gave Tom a +1 because I HAVE put black tape over the Casio name - as well as every other logo of every other keyboard I've gigged for the last ten years.

It makes no difference to what I play. But audience perception is a very real factor where I work and gig. Someone want to disagree with my practice, fine. Want to get angry about it and dismiss it as ridiculous without walking in my shoes, fine.

I prefer a Rolex Watch over a Timex. They both tell time. But I can rely on the Rolex to keep its value and be durable over time.

I just think of those cool $40 Casio keyboards I played as a kid from WalMart. Let's not forget the Casio watches, Casio Calculators, etc.

I am sure a Casio is a good keyboard - I never played one recently. But I just could not get over the fact that it is in the same lineage as a $40 keyboard.

Nord Stage 3-88, Kronos 2-61, DSI OB-6, Roli Seaboards / Blocks, Crumar Seven / Mojo61, iOS apps, Arturia Lab 61...

I prefer a Rolex Watch over a Timex. They both tell time. But I can rely on the Rolex to keep its value and be durable over time.

I just think of those cool $40 Casio keyboards I played as a kid from WalMart. Let's not forget the Casio watches, Casio Calculators, etc.

I am sure a Casio is a good keyboard - I never played one recently. But I just could not get over the fact that it is in the same lineage as a $40 keyboard.

And how many Rolexes do you own?

They are looking at the lead singer first, the guitarist second, the drummer third, ... They do not care about the keyboardist...

So sad.... And so true....

Yeah.... That's why I briefly switched to playing drums in crappy hard rock bands in the late 70's. In a couple of years of bad drumming, I got laid more than in all of my years of playing keyboards, which I equally suck at. The bottom line for me is that if a "cool image" is what you are primarily concerned about, you probably shouldn't be playing keyboards in the first place. I play keyboards because I love to, not because I worry about my "image".

WRG to Casio... I have a PX330 and really like it and don't worry about the coolness factor. I just wish Casio would focus on making a lightweight B3 clone with good tone and waterfall keys, but without all of the bells and whistles of the XW-P1. If it was good enough and cheap enough, I would sell my Hammond SK1 and pick up the Casio despite the on-stage "image" of Casio.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Roland, Yamaha, and Korg all made/make cheap crap keyboards too.

Moe

---

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/Komano/YamahaPSR-77.jpg

:laugh:

One person even suggested something as ridiculous as putting black tape on the name.. WTF!!

tucktronix,

Forgive me for the angry tone, :) but I am the guy who recommended the black tape. And I stand by my recommendation.

If someone likes Casio keyboards - enough to buy one and gig with it - but is concerned with audience perception, then simply cover the name and keep on playing.

Problem solved.

This thread stems from the OP having second thoughts about purchasing and gigging with a Casio keyboard because of audience perception.

Many here are confused about this being the original reason for his post so I've taken the time to copy it here:

Excellent hammer action

£850

Unfortunately, I still see the name "Casio". I know it's just a name, and I know I can't justify what I'm saying on any rational grounds, but I don't want a Casio.

If that exact keyboard said Korg, Kurzweil or Roland, I think I would have ordered one by now.

I stated, and I stand by it, than many people were introduced to Casio products when they received their first keyboard at Christmas or a birthday. It probably was a Casio, right?

However, many forumites - like you - posted replying how much they love their Casio keyboards. :love:

The Piano Man listed four qualities that he really likes about Casio keyboards. Refer to his post above.

So the board itself is not the problem. The problem is that he believes if the audience saw Korg, Kurzweil, or Roland imprinted on the back of the keyboard instead of Casio, they would have greater approval of his choice of instrument and therefore, by association, would think more highly of him.

You can choose to believe that I am wrong when I state that many people equate Casio with cheap toy keyboards, calculators, and watches - and NOT premium-quality professional keyboards.

Again, the OP was concerned with the audience's perception - not the features or quality of the instrument.

Personally, my advice is not to worry about it. But if you are worried about it, just put a piece of tape over the name.

Moog makes a fine instrument. We all know this. However, if I loved that Moog keyboard that I had purchased with my hard-earned money, but felt that the audience associated the Moog branding with a cheap toy, I would choose to either not worry about it, or put a piece of black tape over the Moog name and keep playing.

Because of my rebel nature, if I loved the Moog keyboard enough to buy it, that means I've already thought about how I would look on stage playing it. Therefore, I wouldn't think twice about the opinion of the people in the audience.

Casio makes a fine keyboard for the money. I believe that their business model is to build to a certain selling price point and sell it to a market that puts a great deal of importance on value - bang for the buck. So if they price the PX-5S at $1,000, it may have compromises that a $5,000 keyboard doesn't. But that's OK because Casio is pursuing a different market.

Sound reasonable to you?

For the money, Casio is one of the best boards available on the market today. And I think most guys here agree.

Forumites may also say that the Nord Stage 2 88 has some great features - but at $4,200 it's over-priced. Others may proclaim that the Nord Stage 2 88 is exactly what they want, and they're willing to pay $4,200 for it.

My point is this: most of the guys here think Casio is building some worthwhile keyboards. I think so too.

On the other hand, I believe there is a perception from many people - some of who may be in your audience - that Casio is a manufacturer that primarily makes cheap (as in inexpensive, not necessarily in quality) toy keyboards like the one they got for Christmas when they were a kid.

Really.

I understand.

Tom

Great write up Tom :).

I reckon these later Casio's are very impressive , and especially - bang for buck.

To me , they don't LOOK professional at the back facing the audience , they look too 'brick like' , not enough shape and color refinement.

Brett.

I am so glad that I consider myself an amateur and at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to musicians. Some All of these posts about covering the name with black tape is ridiculous. If I do put tape on mine can I use white or maybe some other color? Thanks to some of you, I've finally learned the true meaning of 'prima donna'. You guys are so 'pro' in my book. Out of here.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

Thanks to some of you, I've finally learned the true meaning of 'prima donna'. You guys are so 'pro' in my book. Out of here.

Oh the irony is delightful. Thanks for the chuckle jcazzy! :wave:

Just call me the 'Good Humor' man! :laugh:

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

tucktronix,

Problem solved.

Excellent hammer action

£850

Sound reasonable to you?

Really.

I understand.

Tom

I don't have a clue about how the brand is perceived in your area, BUT around here.. keyboardists are kind of an afterthought. NOBODY here gives a damn about the name on the back of your keyboard.. and even if anyone is familiar with Casio's toy keyboard history, they will care mostly about what they hear coming out of it. And lets face it, you're a keyboard player. You already blew your chances of picking up chicks by the moment you get behind your rig ;)

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Archived