Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm still a Casio snob

The Piano Man

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a couple people taking the "Peavey" off their amps in the early 80s :)

I agree that the bigger problem is that we are keyboard players, no one cares and I dare say you're lucky if anyone can hear you at all, including the other band members....

Last gig we did an "encore" for the remaining folks after they got rowdy with "one more song!!!". I had already removed my in-ears and put my pack away, so I said screw it, I'll hear something in the front wedges or drum monitor. Nope. I could hear no keyboards at all other than an echo from the mains. How nice to be the most important member of the band!

Crazy, isn't it? In my experience if your stage volume is approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of the geetar player's, the sound guy is jumping up and down about how you are so loud on stage he has to pull you out of the mains, etc, etc, but when there's any question about chord changes or harmonies (you know, music theory 101 stuff) everyone onstage is looking at you for the answers.....

Crazy, isn't it? In my experience if your stage volume is approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of the geetar player's, the sound guy is jumping up and down about how you are so loud on stage he has to pull you out of the mains, etc, etc, but when there's any question about chord changes or harmonies (you know, music theory 101 stuff) everyone onstage is looking at you for the answers.....

Truth!

As far as this logo thing goes....

I remember in the mid 70's when an ad appeared in DOWNBEAT magazine that featured Shelly Manne playing set of PEARL drums.

It was almost an outrage.

Pearl drums were considered to be toys before this. Strangely enough, some of the early sets are becoming popular because people are staring to discover that the light weight asian mahogany they used actually gets a good drum sound. We are seeing boutique U.S. drum manufacturers using " Luhan" mahogany woods now.

It was also considered to be unusual around the time that Steve Gadd was coming out to see him playing YAMAHA drums. And of course a bit later the first Yamaha electric grand came out.

And the rest is history.

I would play an AJAX organ if it had the right sound.

I think that non-musicians definitely associate the word casio (and maybe Yamaha too) with the keyboards that they have at home for their children. However, I am not sure that many of them realize that those 'toys' that they bought are in fact toys. I constantly get the 'Oh you play keyboards? I have a keyboard at home. I couldn't believe that how expensive it was at 200$!!!'

Personally, IMHO, I think that whenever anyone recognizes a brand name, it's a good thing. It's good for the brand, but also a reason to start a conversation with you. "I see you play a CASIO, I thought all CASIOs were toys...." -- "well, you see that is no longer the case, blah blah...."

If you tape the names, sooner or later you are going to get asked 'why?'. Short of the 'they don't endorse me' answer, I don't really know a good way of saying, "I don't want people to know I play a CASIO" without sounding pretentious. (Actually, it's hard to say 'they don't endorse me' without sounding pretentious too :) )

I say own it. Play your board, and be proud. They make damn fine boards.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

+1

This was my first Casio. All plastic, tiny keys... but I loved it. Never heard any complaints about the sound, and nobody called it a toy.

http://www.madtheory.com/CZ%20article/czsounds_cz101.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I think that non-musicians definitely associate the word casio (and maybe Yamaha too) with the keyboards that they have at home for their children. However, I am not sure that many of them realize that those 'toys' that they bought are in fact toys. I constantly get the 'Oh you play keyboards? I have a keyboard at home. I couldn't believe that how expensive it was at 200$!!!'

Personally, IMHO, I think that whenever anyone recognizes a brand name, it's a good thing. It's good for the brand, but also a reason to start a conversation with you. "I see you play a CASIO, I thought all CASIOs were toys...." -- "well, you see that is no longer the case, blah blah...."

If you tape the names, sooner or later you are going to get asked 'why?'. Short of the 'they don't endorse me' answer, I don't really know a good way of saying, "I don't want people to know I play a CASIO" without sounding pretentious. (Actually, it's hard to say 'they don't endorse me' without sounding pretentious too :) )

+2 :).

Brett

We must have very different audiences.

Mine realize that if they pick up a Casio at Toys-R-Us, it's not meant for the pro market. (Perhaps something in the Toys-R-Us name is a tipoff, huh?)

So if they see the Casio name on the back of your keyboard after buying one at Toys-R-Us along with a Rock 'em Sok em Robot and a couple of Barbie dolls, in their mind, you are playing the toy they purchased for their kids at Christmas. And what's up with that?

Again, if you like your Casio, but don't want your audience thinking you just picked it up at a Toys-R-Us pre-Christmas sale, cover the name, play it and be proud.

For the money, they make damn fine boards.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Gigged tonight with my Casio WK-7500 at a Tributefest. It was used primarily for AP, EPs, Syth,String and horn sounds. I used a controller (a converted Yammy MM6) as my top board with VB3. The Casio logo was displayed proudly, although it is not real prominent on that board being gray on black. I was real pleased with the way it sounded in the mix and monitors ,esp. the piano patch that I souped up. The two keyboardists from the bands before and after us ( who were both playing Nord Electros) came up when we were done and told me they thought I played great and that they were really impressed with how good my rig sounded. The word "Casio" was never even mentioned. I also had the 76 key WK-7500 programmed with splits with songs that called for piano and organ just in case the Vb3 setup had issues.Luckily it worked perfectly with my netbook.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

What I don't understand is that if Casio is such a toy brand and someone in the audience would even come up to the keyboard player and say that it is a toy, I can't imagine that the person doing that is much of a musician. In all my years of playing, I've never had that many 'professional' musicians hanging around at every gig I've played to critique the equipment I use. Damn, if the rig the keyboard player sounds good, then it sounds good! By the way, in the late 70's, I used to think that the brand name Roland sucked! JMO at the time but I don't think that any more.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

I love the stage presentation of my Casio PX-350 as much as the sound and feel. It's a good looking keyboard. It's black and it just says "CASIO" on the back. I'm proud to display the deserving Casio brand.

It's the name "Privia" makes me queeby. It's like a contraction of "prissy" and "quivery" with a lilting "ia" at the end.

I'm glad the PX-350 only has that word on the front, facing me, in small letters. When I step up to a PX-5S, I WILL need some white tape (or black spray-paint). I don't want to explain to anyone what a "privia" is.

I never need to explain what Casio is, except to my friends who see $200 Casio keyboards at Walmart and Costco, and think it's the same as what I play.

My 2 suggestion would be:

- Drop the name "Privia" and play up "CASIO" as the pro/semi-pro keyboard brand.

- Bring back the "CasioTone" brand for the low-end/department-store keyboards.

MR61,PX350,VR-730,1402,ZLX-12Px2

Casio is cool. Spread the word.

:)

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2luugyv.jpg

LMAO

I love the XW-P1 on chains. Best keyboard "stand" ever! If you look close at he PX-5S you will see it has been painted yellow. That is Junior Carelli from the Brazilian metal band "Noturnall".

:rawk:

Casio is cool. Spread the word.

:)

I hear that band is looking for a drummer. :laugh:

ummm.. yeah.. these guys definitively are not a "synth" band.. they are loud, though. :) I didn't post this as a joke.. I wanted to illustrate that Casios are turning up everywhere... with no tape over the name!

Actually, the fact that it says "Casio" on the back increases the 'WOW" factor when they hear it.....I played a gig Sat night with a buddy of mine subbing on bass. It was his first opportunity to hear my PX5s and his response was "Holy sh*t! THAT'S a Casio?!!"

So he too had the impression that Casio was primarily a manufacturer of toy keyboards. Right?

I rest my case. :)

Again, my point is not that Casio doesn't offer some good keyboards these days.

It's that many people don't know that. They only know Casio for the toy keyboards.

Don't shoot the messenger.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Don't shoot the messenger.

I wasn't shooting the messenger, I was merely responding to the silly notion of placing black tape on the logo. And I will say once again, keyboards were never the focus of attention here. I have fielded some questions from a few fellow musicians and some audience members about my rig, and most of the questions were about the "B3" sound they were hearing. No "wow, that's a Casio??!!" stuff here. I'm only telling ya what I'm hearing here.. I have no clue what goes on in your hometown.

I stand by my experienced observation that placing black tape on the logo is downright silly.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I stand by my experienced observation that placing black tape on the logo is downright silly.

And your experienced observation is fine... if you want to believe that, tucktronix. :)

However, musicians tape over the logo of their keyboards all the time.

Go back and read what I said in a previous post:

Because of my rebel nature, if I loved the Moog keyboard enough to buy it, that means I've already thought about how I would look on stage playing it. Therefore, I wouldn't think twice about the opinion of the people in the audience.

So what if you ARE concerned about what people think about the name on your keyboard, be it MOOG or CASIO?

Then the solution is to put a piece of tape - black, brown, polka dot - whatever, over it.

If you thing that's downright silly, then perhaps you have a better idea?

Would that be to:

Have a few shots before going on stage to lessen the anxiety?

Pop a Xanax?

Or just leave your CASIO at home?

No. It's been stated over and over in this thread that for many people - the general audience as well as musicians - the CASIO brand is associated with toy keyboards.

Again, if you are a musician and you are concerned with this, then either leave the Casio board at home, put a piece of tape over the logo, or do whatever you do to lessen anxiety.

Tucktronix, are you questioning whether this perception exists?

Or are you thinking that there are no musicians who are concerned with this perception? The OP surely is.

Or do you think I'm just posting to bash Casio, even though I have praised it in previous posts.

BTW, I own a Casio keyboard and have gigged with it - no tape over the logo. :cool:

Identify the focus of your argument, tucktronix, or let it go.

This is getting downright silly.

Archived