Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THIS is what I want to hear out of an organ

Dana.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't get any more BADASS than this.

Fixed....

This reminds me of my dreams when I am trying to sleep off a hangover after tying one on.....a really big one!

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

Haters gonna be hatin', but I love that track. I've watched a bunch of live (mostly bootleg) DVD's of the Dark Magus era band, and it seems like Miles used the organ as to disrupt the proceedings when things got too comfortable.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Love this stuff. Saw the Dark Magus era band a few times. On one of the CD's liner notes they called it Metal Jungle music. After the first time I saw them with Miles playing that Yamaha organ, I said to myself "I have to get one of those". And I did. Heavy as hell, but great sounds. Wish I still had it. And what can you say about the late great Pete Cosey and the grooves these guys would get into? Relentless and sublime.

http://bigfun3.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/BigFunThree

...and it seems like Miles used the organ as to disrupt the proceedings when things got too comfortable.

By sitting on the keyboard?

BTW. I don't hate anything. I just don't get it at all.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Haters gonna be hatin', but I love that track. I've watched a bunch of live (mostly bootleg) DVD's of the Dark Magus era band, and it seems like Miles used the organ as to disrupt the proceedings when things got too comfortable.

Nobody is being a hater here. We are just offering up our opinion. I own about 15 of Miles Davis' albums/CD's and I must say that he is quite an enigma. He has managed to make tsome of the best music I've and also some of the worst music I've heard.

On a side note, I do not buy or use bootleg materials as they hurt the artist, his legacy, and art in general.

Just my $.02.....

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

What a potentially false accusations, but here we go with my (hopefully not somehow retentive or repugnant in any way, but serious) opinion: I suppose a highschool class would respond different, probably less appreciative than a student environment. May some would understand what I hold for relatively self-evident, Miles is being anti-god of the new age music form that is so annoyingly present nowadays, and of course he speaks about good and bad in "tone" and "mixing".

The organ sound reminds me of a Linux organ Mark Schmieder made me download a couple of years ago, nice but of course a "small" Yamaha sound.

In a juvenile seedy mood I could imagine Bob Harris (Old grey whistle test, TOTP, see e.g. here ) saying in a very relaxed soft dark voice "And that was Miles Davis,...". :)

On a side note, I do not buy or use bootleg materials as they hurt the artist, his legacy, and art in general.

Please explain how this hurts Miles, his legacy, and art in general.

Please explain how this hurts Miles, his legacy, and art in general.

Typically the artist or his estate does not profit from the sales of bootleg materials. If someone made a bootleg recording of your material and they sold it to others, you would not see a dime of that money. On the other hand, if the bootleg was simply a recording that someone made at a performance but did not sell it, then not so much.

Typically the artist or his estate does not profit from the sales of bootleg materials. If someone made a bootleg recording of your material and they sold it to others, you would not see a dime of that money. On the other hand, if the bootleg was simply a recording that someone made at a performance but did not sell it, then not so much.

Well, Miles is dead, and I don't think his estate is hurting for money. So, again, how does this hurt Miles, his legacy, and art in general?

Well, Miles is dead, and I don't think his estate is hurting for money. So, again, how does this hurt Miles, his legacy, and art in general?

An artist being dead does not justify stealing his work. Nor does the fact that his estate is well off. And, unless you have personal knowledge of his estate's financial affairs, you do not really know his estate's condition.

The term "Bootlegged" may be used to describe something that's not necessary illegal. If an artist is having their performance recorded and plans to sell that recording, then you record it yourself, that competes with the live recording. If it is not being recorded, then really it's up to the artist to decide if he wants to allow it to be recorded by fans or not. If it's posted that no recording devices are allowed, then it's wrong. If it's not, then why not be able to capture that moment? Especially with someboy like Miles Davis where I'm sure each live performance was unique. You're not going to compete with recorded material from the artist because the performance is so much different.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

An artist being dead does not justify stealing his work. Nor does the fact that his estate is well off. And, unless you have personal knowledge of his estate's financial affairs, you do not really know his estate's condition.

Who said anything about stealing? We're talking about live DVDs. The concert is over. Attendees paid to see the performance. Presumably, the band and everyone else got paid. Done and done.

You still haven't answered my question as to how this hurts art in general, but I won't press any further. I've never been a fan of the Grateful Dead but I agree with their stance on documenting live performances.

I saw Miles somewhere in the mid '70's at The Etcetera in D.C. He was playing that Yamaha organ trough a Shure Vocal Master on 11. It was great, but you had to be there.

My first road rig was a Yamaha CP30 (and a Roland RS09, and an ARP ProSoloist) through a Shure Vocalmaster. That thing was brutal.harsh, solid state, brute volume. It made my CP30 actually sound like an organ. I loved it. But it sho wuz fugly.

And count me in with those who just think this track is the Emperors New Clothes.albeit old and vintage now. If I played like this on any gig, my band mates might think I was suffering from a stroke.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

.... If it is not being recorded, then really it's up to the artist to decide if he wants to allow it to be recorded by fans or not. If it's posted that no recording devices are allowed, then it's wrong. If it's not, then why not be able to capture that moment? ....
I agree that a wise artist might want to take responsibility for their rights, as a measure of precaution ... but they shouldn't have to. Piracy is piracy whether it occurs against stated policy or occurs against the lack of stated policy, simply because of implied and legal ownership rights.

Unless an artist gives prior permission for others to record their performances, either permission should be asked for and granted, or it is simply piracy.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

I agree if they're trying to sell or distribute the recording. But if you buy a ticket and go to the show and want your own memorabilia, I don't see a problem.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

That track doesn't do it for me, either the tone or the composition.

Shure Vocalmasterdisaster

Fixed. I disremember those!

Don't candy coat it... how do you really feel?

:D

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm a believer that when you die, your copyrights should become public domain. If you failed to use those copyrights to build a nest egg for your family when you go, well that is your fault. I also believe that you should not be able to transfer a copyright only lease it for a period of time say 10 years, after which a publisher would have to renew the lease. How many artist have been screwed into selling their rights dirt cheap? This would give the artist an upper hand.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Archived