Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Clone Dilemma

surreal mccoy

I've been away from the "Hammond clone scene" for quite some time. My last venture was with a 2000 Korg CX3 many years ago. Although I have a 1963 A100, I'm hoping to acquire something light & portable for gigs.

I was fortunate to spend a little hands on time at NAMM with the Hammond SK1(listened to the SK2). While the Hammond sounds were quite acceptable, the various pianos & synth voices left somewhat to be desired (IMO).

It was a pleasure to run into Markyboard while checking out the Studiologic Numa organ. We both had some positive impressions of this single manual clone. :cool:

Finally; I listened to a brief demo of the Nord double manual clone. From what I could hear (at NAMM), this board seemed to be close to what I was hearing from the SL2 (organ wise).

Then I come back to this awesome forum and begin to read about the Mojo, Key B & Hamichord!

I feel almost at a total loss! :confused:

Is there anywhere in Ca to demo a Key B or Hamichord? I understand the Mojo has to be ordered from Italy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

thanks ahead. :idea:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was fortunate to spend a little hands on time at NAMM with the Hammond SK1(listened to the SK2). While the Hammond sounds were quite acceptable, the various pianos & synth voices left somewhat to be desired (IMO).

Yeah, they're nowhere near as good as the piano/synth voices on the Numa, Mojo, Key B or Hamichord.

Oh, wait... :snax:

To piggy-back onto what Sven is implying, you're not really comparing "apples to apples" here.

The SK1 and SK2, as well as the Nord Electro keyboards are "Clones +", i.e. keyboards that are excellent clones but also have a fairly high degree of additional sounds that allow more sonic flexibility than just Hammond sounds.

The Numa, Key B, Mojo et al, as well as your old Korg are all in the "dedicated clone" camp, whose sole purpose is to replicate a Hammond with no real additional sounds to speak of. Which are you looking for? As someone with an A100, are you looking for a dedicated clone for just Hammond, or do you need the other stuff?

Lastly, is "Ca" Canada or California?

are you looking for a dedicated clone for just Hammond, or do you need the other stuff?

Or are you looking for the best Hammond sound, which you can add to later with sound modules? EMU Proteus 2000 better sounding than the junk in the Hammond SK (IMHO). I wouldn't even consider the SK (IMHO). I have owned it and gigged with it. I will say one good thing about it, it is VERY light 7KG for SK1, but then the end panels are a little bit tacky plastic. Have to loose the weight somewhere.

The Mojo is sonic heaven, 20 really different tone-wheel sets/organs to choose from, from bright and nasty to mellow and warm. Great over drive, just superb. Great leslie sim too best I have heard from the clones, I have owned, B4II, XK33c, XK1, Nord C1, and now Mojo and I am satisfied 100%, plays, clicks and growls like the real thing.

My biast opinion for you, enjoy! :bor:

Tonewheels!!

KeyB Duo MkII

I keep going from SK2, to Mojo+MIDI (in my case, a Kurzweil ME-1). Now that Craig McDonald's been out of here for awhile, I haven't heard any complaints about Hammond. For the other sounds, does anyone out there in the audience tell the difference? Or give a shit? No.

Today, the balance sways in favor of the SK2.

Here for the gear.

:laugh:

Sorry that I failed to elaborate....

I realize that none of the other "clones" could really compare as they didn't attempt to incorporate other voices into the Hammond mix.....but then again....if you're going to build a Hammond clone and feature other voices....why not do it better justice...? :(

The sound! ;)

+1!

You know, LyonsT, I know where you are 'coming from'. When you play the VB3-2 it is kind of mind expanding and you want to tell others about the accuracy.

Typical user of the VB3-2 will have a 'Ventilator-moment', being, "wait!! I am losing it it can't be THIS good". I hesitated to write about the Ventilator (one of first in US) because I thought my view was crossing into hyperbole of the quality and thought I might be 'losing it'.

Might be easier for surreal-mccoy just to get the HS product as he wants the pianos and needs to play it unless someone local can provide a Mojo anyway. Certainly the HS product will provide a good organ emulation.

Those guys are back-ordered too and getting hard to get. (BTW: you know what happens when something is not let up from backorders: vender needs to up price to temper orders sometimes, maybe dropping free shipping as defacto price increase. Who knows ???????). It should be also pointed out with the free shipping they offer, I paid around 4 or 5 bills, DHL, for my HC to ship to US, SO, a few bills of those orders are shipping built in. (not affiliated)

(it was 3 years, if I remember correctly and was around $440 shipping East Coast - they offer this 'free' now in the price)

W.

I don't know what it is about Hammond Clone threads . . . just . . . can't resist.

I think the SK1 is the best at what it does: good Hammond sound in a very small package with useable meat and potato sounds that can be played at the same. I can strap mine to the back of my motorcycle, ride over the bridge to Oakland, do a funk band rehearsal, feeling breezy about the whole affair. I love it at jam sessions, where in-n-out ability rules the day. If I have to fly with it, I'm ready.

For someone who doesn't put much value on this kind of shite, but who just wants the best Hammond sound possible, there might be better choices. I haven't checked out the Numo or Mojo in person, so I'm no more qualified to compare them than anyone else who can listen to a youtube video. But to my ears they sound better than the SK1.

The extra voices on the SK1 get the job done. I've especially enjoyed using the wurly in band contexts. Cuts through nicely.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I was driving into work this morning and heard Another Brick in the Wall part 2 on the radio.

I want whatever clone the guy from Pink Floyd was playing during the guitar solo.

:D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I got the Mojo after only having the chance to play an Xk2 and Sk1. Both sounded pretty good, but I decided I wanted a light 2 manual B3 clone. I only could base my decision on the Youtubes and what others have said about it. I also felt I didn't want to wait with possible inflation or whatever. The only problem I have is I'm still waiting for a halfmoon switch. Was told it might be held up by a trucker strike in Italy. Other than that, when I brought it to a band rehersal they were simply amazed at the sound.

I ordered a Mojo today.
:thu:

Have you tried one yet?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I ordered a Mojo today.
:thu:

Have you tried one yet?

Nope - I bought it on faith. There is one a few hours from me, but I won't be able to hook up with Mitch and hear it for some weeks. I didn't want to get caught goofing around while Crumar exhausts their stock, and I have a new band project starting up that is organ centered.

My custom controller is not ready for live use - it still needs an organ engine. The rehearsal space is in a basement, so 37 lbs, VB3-2, and the possibility of driving my Receptor from the Mojo means it could be my mini rig.

One can never have too many organs! :thu:

Moe

---

I don't know what it is about Hammond Clone threads . . . just . . . can't resist.

I can't either... So I will sum up my feelings with the following (just having some fun, so keep your heads from exploding please):

1. Hammond/Suzuki (AKA Those EVIL Corporate Stooges) "Drawbars? Drawbars? Your talkin' about DRAWBARS?"

2. Nord... those crazy Scandinavian designers in their hermetically sealed rooms creating strange red keyboards with funny lights. Now they follow Suzuki's lead and put draw-FADERS on a C2 and charge as much as a mint real B3 and Leslie. Their products are so expensive because in Scandinavia our dollar is worth as much as a sheet or toilet paper. "Sir? May I have some more?"

3. Diversi.... Are they still in business? Seems like the curse of Joey has done them in...

4. KeyB .... Who would have thought that the Italians, the masters of chaos, would kick everyone's ass when it comes to recreating the Hammond sound?

5. VB3/Mojo... See #4.

Seriously.... They all sound great! We have come a long way from the XB2...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Nope - I bought it on faith. There is one a few hours from me, but I won't be able to hook up with Mitch and hear it for some weeks. I didn't want to get caught goofing around while Crumar exhausts their stock, and I have a new band project starting up that is organ centered.

When I bought the Hamichord it was so long ago (3 years?) and when it first came out the B4II was standard, loaded sound. (I still have the B4II in there too that can be turned on easily, though no point to it)

Never regretted it and the HC has really advanced through sound engines (meaning B4II and VB31&2/Crumar only) B4II, EVB3 (Apple) via Event Processor + mapping, VB31 and various builds of VB3-2 and now the Crumar final build.

Still after 3 years totally satisfied even though a newer version is out. The classic, vintage organ interface can't be upgraded, imho. Everything else I can upgrade eventually like the board, etc.

W.

I think the SK1 is the best at what it does: good Hammond sound in a very small package with useable meat and potato sounds that can be played at the same time.

I agree completely! For the travelling musician (without roadies!), it's a brilliant solution.

2. Nord... [...] charge as much as a mint real B3 and Leslie.

Here in Sweden, a mint B3 WITHOUT a Leslie will cost you anywhere above the equivalent of $15,000... And we pay 50% tax on an invoice! ;-)

Do many here agree that the "mojo" has an edge based on sound?

Can someone give the site for me to learn more about it

Mojo would be difficult eg to search ;)

Thank you

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I'm seriously tempted by the Key B, I like the 11 pin out, which the Mojo doesn't have and the B3 like layout. They both sound really good though.

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

so 37 lbs, VB3-2, and the possibility of driving my Receptor from the Mojo means it could be my mini rig.

Cool,- now waiting for your real world rehearsing/gigging report.

A.C.

Cool, I'll be curious to know what you think of it and how you tweak it, if at all.

Hammonddave - Ha ha, nice post. :D

missRichardTee - The video posted above by ewall is great and has me sold on the Mojo. The full product web site is http://www.crumar.it

[irony dept: It was Guido's videos comparing the Mojo to his A-100 that convinced me to to go after to the A-100 that I bought. :) Mojo is still on the top of my list for when I need a portable two-manual organ, though.]

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wish the Mojo and KeyB were more accessible.
At the rate people are buying the Mojo, it may become so. If I were Crumar, I'd set up a network of users that were willing to demo their Mojos (and possibly Hamichords). I'd consider giving them a fee for each unit they helped sell. I'm not sure what the fee should be though.

I'm seriously tempted by the Key B, I like the 11 pin out, which the Mojo doesn't have and the B3 like layout. They both sound really good though.

Darren

I believe they can include an 11-pin as custom work or did custom work like this before if I am not mistaken (verification needed).

W.

I think the SK1 is the best at what it does: good Hammond sound in a very small package with useable meat and potato sounds that can be played at the same.

The extra voices on the SK1 get the job done. I've especially enjoyed using the wurly in band contexts. Cuts through nicely.

My only experience with the SK1 was at NAMM listening thru headphones. What mostly bothered me was whenever I called up a piano, rhodes, etc. voice, they all seemed to sound very compressed and dwarfed compared to the onboard B3 voices. FWIW... the actual YouTube videos actually sound better than what I experienced at NAMM via headphones.

Alan

Archived