Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jordan Rudess/Marco Minnemann blues jam.

Mr. L

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about the blues (-like) acts I remember I saw live apart from smaller or bigger constellations I did myself or (about some time ago) unfamous friends/acquaintances or local acts I forgot, like: Jeff Healey, Rory Block, B.B. King, R. Cray, B. Guy, Lenny Kravitz, Living Colour, John Hiatt, Micheal Brecker, H. Brood, T.O.P., M. Miller "Miles tribute band", de Dijk, T.J. White, Gruppo Sportivo.

I'd sure not hope lesser then they would get too much of the spirit or the letter of the "Good Man Feeling Bad" concept to play global leader with...

Disjointed is the word that comes to mind. He has some phenomenal chops but it like reading certain posts from people whose native language isn't English. Just when your starting to dig a groove off he goes! I'm not hating, its just my take. Its the same issue I have with some Jazz players, find a groove and let it simmer a little longer. Otherwise its tiring on the listener when your all over the place.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I don't think anyone hates him, common man. Just for kicks, listen what James is saying about Jordan's blues @ 1:03 ;)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zikd_mf66yQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=60s

I noticed none of the haters bothered to address the video I posted. God forbid he show some soul, even if it's not "blues", and they have to acknowledge that he did so...

Around 2:30 he starts putting some feeling into his playing. The first minute seems like it was intended as a joke. And they succeeded in their intent. I don't think this debate needs to have the word "hate" in it. I think it's just an illustration of how someone who is great at some styles can be terrible at others. Why would I spend 15 seconds listening to JR play blues, when I could be listening to Memphis Slim?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Adan, I didn't say everyone who was criticizing him was hating, but...

http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/download/file.php?avatar=4674_1263587685.gif

Rudess certainly does a lot of that.

This is hate. This isn't valid criticism, it's hate. Him hate me for has mor chops. :rolleyes:

Its the same issue I have with some Jazz players, find a groove and let it simmer a little longer. Otherwise its tiring on the listener when your all over the place.

It's really apples and oranges. Some "get" what jazz is trying to express, may it be simple or complicated. Some don't, but that's alright. However, " finding a groove" is open to discussion and maybe a new thread. My point being, JR is "in the groove", having fun and that's what matters to me.

Adan, I didn't say everyone who was criticizing him was hating, but...

This is hate. This isn't valid criticism, it's hate. Him hate me for has mor chops. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure who you're accusing of hating, but in case it's me, get a grip, and read my comment in the context it was given.

Blues is party music, dancing music.....fucking music. If that's how those cats commence to makin love, I feel sorry for their partners.... :laugh:

That said, his hands are quicker than mine!

And that said, you dont need to be a chef to know when food does not taste good, but it sure helps when diagnosing WHY it doesnt taste good.

You know.kind of like the Geoff Downes thing.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

And that said, you dont need to be a chef to know when food does not taste good, but it sure helps when diagnosing WHY it doesnt taste good.

The food analogy is a great one. :thu:

A master chef in Malaysia may pull off a great nasi goreng, and completely underwhelm us when he's fooling around with a pack of Hebrew Nationals and a hot backyard Weber. We shouldn't prevent him from cooking for his own pleasure though.

Personally, I like them boiled, placed in a New England style roll with mustard and relish. Or you can replace the franks, mustard and relish with some fresh lobster and I won't complain. :)

The video reminds me of some one that has all chops and but nothing to say.

But apparently it didn't remind you of what's already been said by numerous people in this thread. :rolleyes:

:deadhorse:

So what do you care? You always have shit to say about something or someone. No wonder why I don't post much on here anymore. It's getting to be more like Harmony Central every day.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I noticed none of the haters bothered to address the video I posted. God forbid he show some soul, even if it's not "blues", and they have to acknowledge that he did so...
I'm trying not to say anything at all....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'm going to work some on *my* blues reverb. English aside that's and interesting subject, and the studio grand above somehow could do some stuff (like certain *types* of fifths) I tried quite a while ago on grands and before that on digital pianos too... How many percents of blues people would be offended by a bad man playing the blues ?

------------------------------------------------

"Go ahead, make my day"

How many percents of blues people would be offended by a bad man playing the blues ?

zero percent. Blues is supposed to be played by bad men (and women).

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Actually, it's neither. It's my opinion. It was a comment on what I consider to be his "masturbatory playing." I have nothing further to say on the matter.

Actually, it's neither. It's my opinion. It was a comment on what I consider to be his "masturbatory playing." I have nothing further to say.

I agree with you there.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

...too bad some of you don't invest as much vitriol on guitarists as you have on a fellow keyboardist in this thread.

Would you rather be listening to his playing, or yet another six-stringer playing licks we've all endured since the Marshall oozed across the Atlantic ?

I'll side with this and any other keyboardist...

It's simple. What is JR trying to say? Is he saying something or enjoying how his fingers run?

Blues is spirit music like Gospel. Two sanctified sides of the same coin. No spirit here, just chops.

He's no James Booker (or Jan Hammer.....ironically I remember seeing him in a video with Jan and Tony Williams as a support keyboard player...) but his tech demo videos are masterful and he does the music world a true service with them...

Just my $0.02...

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I'll side with this and any other keyboardist...

+1. I'll never understand how a player can ever bust on another player. :idk:

I quite like Jordan's playing. I find some of his work more to my taste than others, but that's to be expected with just about any artist. I saw him with the Dregs in the 90's and he completely killed that gig, and I think the Liquid Tension Experiment stuff is lotsa fun.... :thu:

He's tremendously skilled, and I'm not sure how anyone can argue with that...and right there I think he deserves respect for his talent and the years he's spent working at it.

Not trying to lecture anyone or anything - just suggesting you give a brother a break. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Jordan is a great keyboardist.

Word on the street is he's made friends in every city he tours and is a real nice guy. I don't know him personally but I've only heard good things about him from friends who would know (1-3 degrees of separation).

I hope he has a good sense of humor about this stuff, he should, he's too good a player to let a few 'not-so-nice' opinions bring him down. Jordan's career speaks for itself. In the grand scheme of things, he's the man and no amount of talk (good or bad) from opinionated dudes should have any impact on that.

:)

Now, that wanker Herbie Hancock, don't get me started :D

Archived