Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jordan Rudess/Marco Minnemann blues jam.

Mr. L

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe he's a swell guy in person but his playing leaves a LOT to be desired.

Actually, he's not that either. I could confirm from a very serious and reliable source who worked closely with him for several years that the guy's a total arrogant douche!

I guess the playing reflects the man. Just sayin'.

Interesting. I saw Jordan open for Blackfield last month in Seattle. After his set he was signing CDs and was very gracious and seemed appreciative of everyone who talked with him. While talking with me, he seemed genuinely interested in my background and aspirations as a beginning keyboardist - very supportive and positive. I was impressed with him, not only as a musician but as a nice person (can't say that for a few members of Yes, but that's another story...)

I don't know Jordan at all, but Mr. L is a helluva nice guy, and if he and Jordan are maintaining a real friendship (and I believe they are), I'll have to assume that Jordan is a nice guy as well.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

You know, one time I made a snarky comment elsewhere about another keyboard player in an old video clip. When he joined the list shortly after that, I was embarrassed and ashamed at my bad behavior.

If I don't connect with somebody's style of playing, I feel that's a fair comment to make. But I try to keep it positive these days.

Moe

---

I ripped Chick Corea a new asshole here once when he played with the Foo Fighters on the Grammies. I was wrong but hey, sometimes we get carried away on the infernets.

I remember that very well. That shit was terrible. Surprisingly terrible.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

That shit was terrible. Surprisingly terrible.

That's because the Grammys are terrible. At this point, it shouldn't be a surprise. I'll spare everyone and not post the clip of the "jam" between Herbie, Stevie, Howard, and Thomas as proof of how that show causes players many of us admire total embarrassment.

I'll spare everyone and not post the clip of the "jam" between Herbie, Stevie, Howard, and Thomas as proof of how that show causes players many of us admire total embarrassment.

Thank you. That clip was indeed cringe-worthy. I watched it live when it happened and I was so embarassed for them.

Moe

---

That shit was terrible. Surprisingly terrible.

That's because the Grammys are terrible.

Except for when they're awesome.

Lang Lang and Herbie comes to mind.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Wow...I had never seen that Chick / Foo thing before. That was not good. What I kept thinking was how Hornsby would have killed it. He knows how to weave jazz concepts into standard rock songs better than just about anyone.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

It wasn't that bad. It probably went better than if the Foo Fighters tried to play on Dear Alice or Rhumba Flamenco. :laugh:

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If someone posted a video of Dr. John trying to play prog rock, I'd probably respond with something like "dude should stick closer to his genre." This is no different, except that one does sort of expect that most pro level musicians have played enough blues to be a little better at it than that.

Blues is funny. You seem to either have it or you don't. I have found Classic Country and Bluegrass to be sort of the same way. The guy is a good player. It is like me trying to play Latin stuff. I have no Latin blood in my body whatsoever.

Good point. You're absolutely right.

Wait, didn't Dr. John play on side 2 of Relayer when Patrick Moraz' cape got stuck in a limo door?

There are sometimes great exceptions to these rules though, like John Paul Jones' charming take on Floyd Cramer on Down by the Seaside. It's partially because you wouldn't expect it, though not at all ironic, that it works.

Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

Too much reverb, Theo. Sorry man, honesty is the theme of this thread, and I'm just being honest.

If honesty is the theme, why didn't you recommend a good metronome? :freak:

Good thought. While I'm at it, I'll propose another couple life boats for the Titanic.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

He excels at other thing though, don't know why he chose to jam blues...

I guess I shouldn't play golf anymore.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

He excels at other thing though, don't know why he chose to jam blues...

I guess I shouldn't play golf anymore.

But do you jam golf then make it public? Golf is not music, blues is. In fact it's the essence of modern music!

Lord, Emerson, etc all in the same class as Rudess and the did play very good blues as you sure know.

But do you jam golf then make it public? Golf is not music, blues is. In fact it's the essence of modern music!

No, but if another golfer videotaped me playing and posted it online, I wouldn't be too happy about people criticizing my game. "he's a sales guy - he should be able to pay golf better than that!"

JR didn't record and release this for public consumption. He was screwing around having fun and it was caught on video.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

No, but if another golfer videotaped me playing and posted it online, I wouldn't be too happy about people criticizing my game. "he's a sales guy - he should be able to pay golf better than that!"

JR didn't record and release this for public consumption. He was screwing around having fun and it was caught on video.

Exactly. What a poor comparison by Rost. So if i'm a metal guitar player i can't play blues in a jam/fun environment? Wrong! i will, even if it's not as good as B.B. King, Clapton and other blues men. Geez, it's a jam, not something he released. :deadhorse::facepalm:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Chopsy blues playing is great when there's soul and emotion. James Booker played shit much much more complicated and chopsier than what was in this vid. But it made your soul ache. This makes something else ache.

+100000

He sounds like he "learned" to play blueslicks, sounds like a machine. No feel and depth at all. In other words no blues at all.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Folks, you all have valid points!

I am just being disappointed because I expected much better from Rudess. Seems to me that a player of his statue should have no trouble with any style.

This thread reminds me of an old joke. Insert your your instrument of choice...

How many musicians does it take to play a solo?

Ten:

One to play it, and nine to say they could have done it better.

:freak:

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

I don't think anyone hates him, common man. Just for kicks, listen what James is saying about Jordan's blues @ 1:03 ;)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zikd_mf66yQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=60s

I noticed none of the haters bothered to address the video I posted. God forbid he show some soul, even if it's not "blues", and they have to acknowledge that he did so...

He has weird phrasing. It does not sound natural. I had another keyboard player than me in a band one time like him. The video reminds me of some one that has all chops and but nothing to say. The other keyboard player in the bad I was in the 90's had all kinds of chops, could solo in tough keys but there was something missing in his playing. He even had some good ideas but sounded soulless, almost like he had no instincts. I cant relate to musicians like Rudess. The singers also cheesy.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived