Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jordan Rudess/Marco Minnemann blues jam.

Mr. L

For me there's no "hate", rather I find his playing to be emotionally vacant, particularly as it relates to American music. There's just no vibe there, and when you sit down to play some blues, regardless of the setting, the lack of vibe becomes painfully apparent. I want music to talk to me, not at me.

Here.

Skip the first minute (they're goofing off) and tell me there's no vibe or emotion.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zikd_mf66yQ&feature=related

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also Griff, point out to me where he was run off I you could. I have a very different recollection of that whole thing than you.
My recollection is similar to Griff's, that JR just hung out and a bunch of people posted about how he sucked. I would not know how to find those posts, nor if they were in one thread or more.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I was a progger for many years. What I find in most proggers that I've heard play other styles... (including myself for several years once I started branching out) is what appears to be an inability or unwillingness to play with the mindset "when in Rome...". To me, a true stylist will embrace a genre head on and find ways to integate his / her personality into the music, as opposed to forcefeeding their chops into a set of changes and add a few cliches along the way for good measure.

This of course from someone without a hope in hell of ever having anything remotely close to Mr Rudess' chops, so I suppose there could be a little jealousy weighing in. :(

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I'll concede that at least one member who was particularly petulant about it (from my recollection) is now banned (no introduction necessary for those who knew him), but in between those of us who were legitimately asking questions and kinda trying to let the guy get comfortable were plenty of really nasty posts not dissimilar to the above (and virtually every other thread that gets started about him) where dude was just being flat disrespected by people because, well, the guy's been in prog bands his whole career, and that's kinda how prog bands roll...

I'm sorry guys but you are just waaaaaayyyyy too cerebral about this. It was just a little vid to show how much fun we had just among dear friends.

Check out another yet another fun moment among us good buddies!

It's been so long, you're welcome back my friends......to the show that never ends!!!

I'm sorry guys but you are just waaaaaayyyyy too cerebral about this. It was just a little vid to show how much fun we had just among dear friends.

That's what I saw. :thu:

Check out another yet another fun moment among us good buddies!

See that, Jordan has no feel for Russian folk music either, the robotic bastard! :rimshot::D

In the thread where he introduced himself, he was welcomed by many.

There was another thread about the Zen Riffer that might be the one Griff is talking about.

JR only posted in one other thread, about the DSI Keyboard Evolver.

I did not look for negative comments about JR in other threads from that time period.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

JR plays the way he wants to and THAT means he ain't gonna change to please anyone except himself. Like his playing or not, but it's really pathetic that forumites comment on how he should change or emote "feeling" in his style.

None of you would like to read that kinda BS about you in this forum. Frank Lucas was just sharing a great time in his studio. No wonder JR doesn't hang out anymore.

There was another thread about the Zen Riffer that might be the one Griff is talking about.

JR only posted in one other thread, about the DSI Keyboard Evolver.

I did not look for negative comments about JR in other threads from that time period.

Thanks Joe. That's kinda what I remembered, that he seemed to register more to pimp his website and whatever the latest bit of kit he was endorsing that week than anything.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Wow. Everybody was bending over backwards to be very nice indeed, even those that have professed that his music isn't their thing. A high moment on the forum methinks.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

That's kinda what I remembered, that he seemed to register more to pimp his website and whatever the latest bit of kit he was endorsing that week than anything.

While I agree that his posts were mostly related to whatever newest gear he was endorsing, the fact that, being in his position, he gets his hands on gear before the rest of us, I think posting his experience with it is legitimate. I think it shows restraint and character to not respond to all the flaming that I'm sure he read.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This whole thread was worth it just so I could discover Belinda Bedekovic. Albeit belatedly. Belatedly Belinda . . . albeit Bedeokovic . . . damn, I'm losing it.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

JR plays the way he wants to and THAT means he ain't gonna change to please anyone except himself. Like his playing or not, but it's really pathetic that forumites comment on how he should change or emote "feeling" in his style.

None of you would like to read that kinda BS about you in this forum. Frank Lucas was just sharing a great time in his studio. No wonder JR doesn't hang out anymore.

Who cares if he does or not?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Apparently not you. :freak:

Personally, I'd like to see famous people feeling comfortable enough to hang out here when they have breaks in their schedule, not to have hero worship, but rather to have another layer of thoughts and opinions on subjects we visit often (gear, techniques, and general bullshitting). I'd like to think this place is comfortable enough for someone like JR as much as it is for you or me, because there's no doubt he'd have some interesting perspective to offer regarding the usual forum topics.

Of course, one could assume that every possible angle is covered by people already here, in which case we may as well cut off any and all new membership, because... :freak:

Dangerous thread. Really interesting how Rudess has become utterly polarizing around here. Mentioning him might as well be as dangerous as a Religious/Political post.

That said, here's my honest reaction.

I don't like it. I don't HATE it. There's some blues vocabulary there, no doubt about it. But those blues scale runs aren't the vibe, and neither is the feel or the setting.

I thought to myself while listening/watching, 'now what if I hadn't seen who was playing'. Would that have changed my reaction? Actually no, not at all. I would say I heard some chopsy and competent keyboard playing, but it was off, tweaked, too chopsy in a bad way. Chopsy blues playing is great when there's soul and emotion. James Booker played shit much much more complicated and chopsier than what was in this vid. But it made your soul ache. This makes something else ache.

Rudess sucks at blues, plain and simple. He excels at other thing though, don't know why he chose to jam blues...

Rudess sucks at blues, plain and simple. He excels at other thing though, don't know why he chose to jam blues...

He has the feel of a progressive fusion player. It doesn't bother me given the context.

These guys can't play blues either.

[video:youtube]

Apparently not you. :freak:

Personally, I'd like to see famous people feeling comfortable enough to hang out here when they have breaks in their schedule, not to have hero worship, but rather to have another layer of thoughts and opinions on subjects we visit often (gear, techniques, and general bullshitting). I'd like to think this place is comfortable enough for someone like JR as much as it is for you or me, because there's no doubt he'd have some interesting perspective to offer regarding the usual forum topics.

Of course, one could assume that every possible angle is covered by people already here, in which case we may as well cut off any and all new membership, because... :freak:

That's fine and I understand what you mean but there are far more talented people to worry about. If it was George Duke I would rather hear about him than someone that is all chops and no soul. Not saying he is not a nice guy but I wonder why people are up his ass all the time all over the web. I guess I don't get him at all.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

He has the feel of a progressive fusion player. It doesn't bother me given the context.

These guys can't play blues either.

You kidding right? Korea can play anything. Check his Expressions album, especially Blues for Art.

Ladies and gentlemen, the diagnosis of the equine is...

:deadhorse:

Hi, well I think it is great musicians with and without name can communicate their doodles and preferably also in some nice way ("hdtracks for europe" ?) their arts for public consumption.

Without going into the "Calvin meets Jude" theme, I felt I'd hook up the S90 I have standing upright most of the time over USB midi to the Kurzweil PC3 to get something remotely associated with a grand piano in the studio, dialed a effects edited "Ken's upright" patch on the Kurz, added some double lexicon effect with a slightly delayed version of the digital output of the PC3, and played some blues.

For a short idea, with some nasty PC3 clippings and inadvertently in mono (I don't even know wether the Lexicon reverb and the PC3 out got mixed to mono or the Left channels were used) but it also (like the above examples) only slightly goes into what probably is the main meaning of the word Blues:

bluesajr.mp3

a little note about what I perceived to be a major theme in the blues when I was first trying it out on my new digital piano in the end of the 80s from mr BB King, with some good piano in the band:

Oh and I agree: robot-blues is worse as a blues attitude than no blues.

Theo Verelst

Archived