Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jordan Rudess/Marco Minnemann blues jam.

Mr. L

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very white left hand. :D

What there was of it. But he can play a lot of right hand notes.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Haters will hate... :rolleyes:

Meh. Just being honest.

Indeed. Blues isn't a form and a scale, and it ain't about chops. Blues is party music, dancing music.....fucking music. If that's how those cats commence to makin love, I feel sorry for their partners.... :laugh:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Blues is real easy. It's just 3 chords.

Then why was he using that chart? :D

Thanks for sharing Mr. L. I never heard anything like that from Mr. Rudess before.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

His right hand really can't "sing" the blues. His left hand . . . fuggetaboutit.

Maybe it's just a pavlovian response, but I want to buy that piano he's playing.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I love Steve Vai's guitar playing. I don't know about currently but he used to be ( by his own admission also ) a terrible blues guitar player. Is Jordan Italian also? :D

Blues is party music, dancing music.....fucking music. If that's how those cats commence to makin love, I feel sorry for their partners.... :laugh:

http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/download/file.php?avatar=4674_1263587685.gif

That said, his hands are quicker than mine!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Dangerous thread. Really interesting how Rudess has become utterly polarizing around here. Mentioning him might as well be as dangerous as a Religious/Political post.

That said, here's my honest reaction.

I don't like it. I don't HATE it. There's some blues vocabulary there, no doubt about it. But those blues scale runs aren't the vibe, and neither is the feel or the setting.

I thought to myself while listening/watching, 'now what if I hadn't seen who was playing'. Would that have changed my reaction? Actually no, not at all. I would say I heard some chopsy and competent keyboard playing, but it was off, tweaked, too chopsy in a bad way. Chopsy blues playing is great when there's soul and emotion. James Booker played shit much much more complicated and chopsier than what was in this vid. But it made your soul ache. This makes something else ache.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

If someone posted a video of Dr. John trying to play prog rock, I'd probably respond with something like "dude should stick closer to his genre." This is no different, except that one does sort of expect that most pro level musicians have played enough blues to be a little better at it than that.

I didn't hate it, and found some elements of what he was comping interesting. What I didn't like was when he machine-gunned some fills at some points in that Rudessian style.

OTOH, I didn't think the drummer ever got the feel right. JMO.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It's better than I can do...

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If he were on stage, and this was a performance people were paying for, one that he rehearsed, I'd be inclined to agree.

However, it was a strictly off-the-cuff jam after a session. He was having fun. He and others in the studio were laughing - that's how seriously they took it. Don't tell me you've never wanked just for the sheer joy of it in a casual jam situation...

I wish I could just "jam" that hard - on any instrument.

Yeah, we have some awesome players around here, and when they're performing for an audience and pouring their heart and soul into that performance, they play better blues than what you heard on that recording. I don't really see where JR was doing any such thing there, and therefore it's idiotic to roast him over your snobby, purist bonfires because he didn't just ooze blues when he was goofing off and having fun.

If someone posted a video of Dr. John trying to play prog rock, I'd probably respond with something like "dude should stick closer to his genre." This is no different, except that one does sort of expect that most pro level musicians have played enough blues to be a little better at it than that.

Blues is funny. You seem to either have it or you don't. I have found Classic Country and Bluegrass to be sort of the same way. The guy is a good player. It is like me trying to play Latin stuff. I have no Latin blood in my body whatsoever.

"snobby, purist" and "blues" really don't belong in the same sentence. Of course your point is well taken that JR probably had no intention of anyone outside the room ever seeing this. I don't think any less of him, having watched that. But since we're here to educate and learn, it might as well be pointed out that that is NOT how to play the blues.

Blues is funny. You seem to either have it or you don't. I have found Classic Country and Bluegrass to be sort of the same way. The guy is a good player. It is like me trying to play Latin stuff. I have no Latin blood in my body whatsoever.

Good point. You're absolutely right.

"snobby, purist" and "blues" really don't belong in the same sentence. Of course your point is well taken that JR probably had no intention of anyone outside the room ever seeing this. I don't think any less of him, having watched that. But since we're here to educate and learn, it might as well be pointed out that that is NOT how to play the blues.

A fair enough criticism, and a fair enough way to frame it. I would not have launched into such a tirade if this were the response from the forum at large.

However, the forum at large (as I recently mentioned) saw fit to run JR straight off the forum when he was trying to just hang out a bit and talk to people back a couple years ago. The forum at large pretty much hates JR, and delights in any excuse to roast him.

However, the forum at large (as I recently mentioned) saw fit to run JR straight off the forum when he was trying to just hang out a bit and talk to people back a couple years ago. The forum at large pretty much hates JR, and delights in any excuse to roast him.

It's true, and that's why I responded in such a measured fashion. I wanted to make sure my impression of his playing had nothing to do with who it was DOING the playing.

Also Griff, you make a fair point about this being a casual jam never intended for the public's serious consumption.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Also Griff, you make a fair point about this being a casual jam never intended for the public's serious consumption.

It's comical, really. Tony's icon response (masturbation) was pretty much an appropriate assessment of the situation - they were just jerking off - not trying to engage an audience...

What I didn't like was when he machine-gunned some fills at some points in that Rudessian style.

Bingo. This is my main issue with the guy. He seems to be incapable of NOT doing it. Every demo, every YouTube clip, there's blazing speed. And to what end? Everyone knows he can play fast. How about playing something with taste and restraint? Something with feeling that doesn't sound like he locked himself in his studio for a week perfecting it? Maybe he's a swell guy in person but his playing leaves a LOT to be desired.

For me there's no "hate", rather I find his playing to be emotionally vacant, particularly as it relates to American music. There's just no vibe there, and when you sit down to play some blues, regardless of the setting, the lack of vibe becomes painfully apparent. I want music to talk to me, not at me.

He seems to be a keyboardist who appeals to guitarists a lot more than one who appeals to keyboardists.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived