Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hiromi tears it up on "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat"

Jazz+

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her contract with Stanley calls for getting paid by the note. After that solo, Hiromi had enough for the down payment on a 2BR NYC condo. One more chorus and she could have a place with a view.

There was a OLD Doonesbury cartoon with Jimmy Thudpucker in a recording session and his guitarist (parody of Jay Graydon) says something about getting paid by the note. Wish I could find it.

Is that David Krumholtz from Numbers on the Motif?

:snax:

Ruslan Sirota. I have the whole gig on DVD-R here.. he is a great player...

Yes, I was just amazed by the resemblance.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Thank you for starting yet another "Jazz+ Loves Hiromi" thread.

:rolleyes::deadhorse:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Didn't work for me either. I think part of it is my opinion that GBPPH, played properly, should feel like you're dragging some hideous swamp beast through muck and mire. Of course, someone might come along and do an upbeat version that changes my opinion, but that wasn't it.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

No, it definitely wasn't that kind of rendition at all ... in fact I was thinking it sounded like a smooth jazz/fusion tune in a compositional/presentation style that I didn't particularly care for, if I were to take it as a piece of music standing on its own, ie, no expectations of what that song should sound like because of its origins ... an openness of mind I try to keep when hearing an arrangement that is so different. (That kind of reminds me of a sub-discussion about presentation/context vs. song I was pondering in another thread about audience ...)

Nevertheless I did think she was shredding ... it wasn't the most soulful solo I'd ever heard, but I definitely respect her. That's just MHO.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

That's a cool sounding band, straight fusionalicious. I like it for what it is too. Not the most soulful version of course, but what do you expect, it's fusion! It doesn't invalidate it, it just might not be everyone's cup of tea.

She's bad though, and that's a nice solo. I like the concept of having a dude playing a mellow RnB synth sine bass under Stanley. Cool.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

No, it definitely wasn't that kind of rendition at all ... in fact I was thinking it sounded like a smooth jazz/fusion tune in a compositional/presentation style that I didn't particularly care for, if I were to take it as a piece of music standing on its own, ie, no expectations of what that song should sound like because of its origins ... an openness of mind I try to keep when hearing an arrangement that is so different. (That kind of reminds me of a sub-discussion about presentation/context vs. song I was pondering in another thread about audience ...)
I'm a pretty big believer in context, and in particular when it comes to a tune like Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. It's a song that was basically a musical eulogy for a true giant of the music. Turning it into some kind of happy-happy-joy-joy thing is unbelievably inappropriate IMO. There's a reason the tune is hauntingly beautiful, and that spirit should be evident whenever the tune is played. Again, IMO, KCMMV and all that....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Okay, it ceases to go anywhere a minute or two into her solo, so yeah, it's a little boring. Also it's a poor mix so that doesn't help.

And the other keyboard player's solo is obnoxious.

And Stanley looks a little out of place in such company. I wish it was Herbie or Chick and not these two kids.

And Stanley's quoting 'Bad Mama Jamma' a little bit.

Argh argh argh argh.

ARGH, I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE, I'm turning it off!!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

KCMMV and all that....
What's this? Couldn't find it in a quick search. The first thing I thought it might be was KCKMA, but it obviously didn't fit. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

KCMMV and all that....
What's this? Couldn't find it in a quick search. The first thing I thought it might be was KCKMA, but it obviously didn't fit. :D
Keyboard Corner's Mileage May Vary....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Hi Kanker, thoughts on context duly noted and entirely valid point. I too think context is indeed very important, which is why some people can love this song and hate this version. I didn't really consider that this version could be offensive to people because of the song's history. I imagine there are some other versions that rub some people the wrong way too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye_Pork_Pie_Hat

I was thinking perhaps, since Joe brought it up, that this version was getting strong negative reactions because Hiromi had been debated here before, and championed by Jazz+ before ... an occurrence which I either forgot in my time away or was not aware of. :)

Bobadoshe, would be cool to see Chick up there IMO. FWIW I feel I may have made some comments that may be taken as sweeping generalizations that I don't want to make ... I do love a lot of jazz that is classified as fusion and even smooth jazz, though like with any musical genre, I don't like every artist in it. For example, I've always thought Larry Carlton and Mike Stern were incredibly soulful guitarists who by and large seem to be labeled in the smooth jazz and jazz fusion categories for much of their work, respectively. I always loved Return to Forever, but admittedly Stanley Clarke wasn't the main draw for me ... Chick Corea was, and I thought the stuff that band did with Flora Purim was divine. Blah blah, OK I'll shut up now.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I'm a pretty big believer in context, and in particular when it comes to a tune like Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. It's a song that was basically a musical eulogy for a true giant of the music. Turning it into some kind of happy-happy-joy-joy thing is unbelievably inappropriate IMO. There's a reason the tune is hauntingly beautiful, and that spirit should be evident whenever the tune is played. Again, IMO, KCMMV and all that....

I agree..

While I think Hiromi is a great player, this did nothing for me. It seemed too clinical. Maybe live it was different, but it didn't connect at all with me.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Taken at face value as a fusion performance (with the bar lowered), it succeeds at that level. Clarke plays some soulful stuff, and Hiromi showcases her phenomenal chops.

But kanker's point is relevant. It waters down the original intent of the song. If you know the tune, you find yourself asking "what's the point?"

I'm no expert by any means, but I know what I like. I find her jumping up and down and smiling annoying at best. It takes away from actual music.

Within one minute of her solo I was bored stiff. Now for reference sake, I can watch a video of Monk playing Ruby, My Dear or Bill Evans doing ANYTHING for hours.

She must be the Ling Ling of Jazz. Not trying to make an Asian reference, it just seemed appropo since he is the MASTER of classical music and technique but plays with about as much soul as Mozart does now. If you know what I mean.

I find her jumping up and down and smiling annoying at best. It takes away from actual music.

I'm on the fence a bit with her showmanship (or is the PC version "showpersonship"?). It's a bit over the top, but she does look like she's having a blast. If it were a guy with a guitar playing ACDC, we'd think nothing of it. OTOH, if she were sitting with perfect posture and expressionless, she may have gone unnoticed as I'm sure so many with her talent have.

Being a connoisseur of the finer works of the likes of such composing teams as Jagger & Richards, I find myself a bit out of my element listening to jazz. Not being familiar with the original work or its intent, I couldn't be annoyed as Kanker was, but I understand why he doesn't like it.

I just wish I could play like she does. Like her, I'd probably be grinning ear to ear & flaunting it in everyone's face too! :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Taken at face value as a fusion performance (with the bar lowered), it succeeds at that level. Clarke plays some soulful stuff, and Hiromi showcases her phenomenal chops.

But kanker's point is relevant. It waters down the original intent of the song. If you know the tune, you find yourself asking "what's the point?"

True, dat. On the other hand, devil's advocate and all, it's quite common in jazz to take tunes and play them in a different context. You can only stick to the original script for so long; after a while, it just becomes a tune with chord changes, to some extent. I'm not saying I necessarily approve of that particular version or anything. Although, I might. There's a few pretty choice subs in there amidst the funk.

Archived