Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do YOU deal with LOUD stage volume vs. your ears?

I use strips of Starbucks napkins; they don't fall apart, are adjustable density and flesh colored, kind of.
I thought I read here that doctors warn against this, because bits can be left in your ear and cause infections that can really hurt your hearing. Toilet paper would be even worse in that regard.

I'm an anesthesiologist, not an ENT, but I would bet any kind of paper could be a problem. Toilet paper wouldn't seem to be worse than any other.

It's just more likely to leave bits behind.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can't be understated how important it is to protect your hearing outside of music.

How many people love to cruise on the highway with windows half or fully open? That can be a lot more damaging than being on a blues stage. There are a large number of examples that people mostly just don't think about at all.

I am very sure that the most stress I've put my ears under was in non-music situations...'cause like I said, with only a few exceptions, if it's too loud, I leave.

+10000 for not playing too loud, especially on small stages.

Personally, I like to use the live drums on stage as the volume ceiling, and then adjust everyone's amp and monitor volumes accordingly.

Then add touches in your monitors of instruments you're lacking.

Once everything is set, anybody who touches the volume on his amp should be killed. No volume creep. That's the whole point of soundcheck. Set it and forget it.

If you can't hear yourself on stage, someone is too loud, plain and simple!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I use strips of Starbucks napkins; they don't fall apart, are adjustable density and flesh colored, kind of.
I thought I read here that doctors warn against this, because bits can be left in your ear and cause infections that can really hurt your hearing. Toilet paper would be even worse in that regard.

I'm an anesthesiologist, not an ENT, but I would bet any kind of paper could be a problem. Toilet paper wouldn't seem to be worse than any other.

Assuming, of course, that it's unused toilet paper. :sick:

I hear (pun) that used toilet paper makes a better seal though!

Custom fitted earplugs... works for me...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I use these, this exact color design in fact. Over the years at shows or at gigs, I've tried nearly everything, and these are the best. Completely flat attenuation, so much so I sometimes wonder if they're doing anything.

http://www.westone.com/hearing-protection-products/custom-fit-hearing-protection-products-4

Thanks for this recommendation! I just sat down at the computer to research this exact topic.

Which filter do you use?

Our entire band uses IEMs. Greatest thing since sliced bread! But only if you have a good mix / volume.

Regarding telling your band members to just turn down, that's all great unless the amps they use sound like shit at low volumes. Some amps HAVE to be at a higher volume in order to sound the way they should. A Marshall at 1 sounds like shit. I would always tell our guitar player to bring a smaller cabinet. He finally was able to convince me that the size of the cabinet doesn't make a bit of difference in the volume, just the overall tone. So I said, "get a smaller AMP!!!". Hasn't happened yet.

Thanks for this recommendation! I just sat down at the computer to research this exact topic.

Which filter do you use?

I use the 15s, though they also came with "full stops," which don't allow any sound through, but it gets in via other means like my skull. No joke. :laugh:

I rarely use the full stops except at some concerts where the band is particularly loud. I've thought about ordering the 25s for such occasions, but haven't gotten around to it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A Marshall at 1 sounds like shit. I would always tell our guitar player to bring a smaller cabinet. He finally was able to convince me that the size of the cabinet doesn't make a bit of difference in the volume, just the overall tone.

That's why I use a modeling system! I also have used a 15watt Blues Junior into a mic! These days you don't have to be loud, just smart. Get one of these and your guitarist will have more versatility than any Marshall:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElevenRack/

I used to do the Marshall Stack bit. I'm nearly completely deaf in my left ear. Though my right ear is fine.

For years I used ear protection on the flight line in the Air Force. I wish I had done the same on stage! Thank God my right ear is fine!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Well, I went to the audiologist on Tuesday.

Surprisingly, after working on jets in the USMC, and conducting concert bands and playing in rock/jazz/motown bands for the ensuing 25 years, my hearing is still "Excellent" with a little bit of taper-off in the higher freqs, but still within the normal realm of hearing. I'm astonished.

This isn't to say that I don't have my moments where I have trouble hearing with a lot of background noise, etc.

At any rate, they did a mold of my ears and I should have some brandy-new custom-fitted plugs in about a week. I opted for the 9dB filters, but also ordered the 15dB filters which can be switched in without too much trouble.

We'll see if this helps.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

For me, it's the crash cymbals that are unbearable. I'm usually able to set up at least 10' away, preferably on the drummer's left. I actually stick a finger in my right ear during the "trash can" ending of some songs.
"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

Last Friday night the guitarists started the show so loud I thought they'd gone deaf. Since I play keys and keys bass I laid back and only played bass. After the song the lead guitarist asked me why I didn't play keys and I told him I'd play keys when they turned down.

Last Friday night the guitarists started the show so loud I thought they'd gone deaf. Since I play keys and keys bass I laid back and only played bass. After the song the lead guitarist asked me why I didn't play keys and I told him I'd play keys when they turned down.

KeysBear, you just became my hero!!! lmao

http://futuresonics.ypguides.net/store/image/30p1a/Accessories_Custom_EarPlugs.jpg

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Hey Jazz+

Can you include some information to go with the photo of those ear plugs? They definitely look interesting, and I'd like to check them out. The filters look a lot thicker than the ones I bought 15 years ago with my custom ear plugs. Mine filters are L-shaped, about the thickness of an overcooked strand of spaghetti, and stick out from the plug by a good half an inch (I think so you can swivel them toward the sound source). Somehow yours look more credible than mine -- which I almost never use because they muffle the sound too much, even with with the filter that allows the most high frequencies.

And why does one plug have to be extremely hot while the other one is very cold? (I'm totally kidding here.)

Thanks

Archived