Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2010 Grammys

Bobadohshe

The final performance by Lil Wayne, Eminem and Drake sounded best when the censors had to mute the audio for as many as 5 seconds at a time to kill the expletives (thanks guys). What a waste to watch. Do you think it's possible for any of these guys to get through 30 seconds of performing without unleashing an F-bomb? They did realize it was national TV, right?

It is bad enough that they get away with it in the studio, on CDs and radio airwaves. Still, I find it hard to believe there isn't one responsible person around these cats asking them to clean up the lyrics prior to performances of this magnitude. :cool:

But lets give them awards... :thu:

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually watched pretty much the whole show last night (it was pretty much picking the lesser of two evils between that and the defense-less joke that is the NFL probowl). Mixed bag of reactions for me.

Lady Gaga: still don't "get" her. I think of her more as a circus act or gimick than an atual singer/musician. And she actually didn't sound too bad, but I couldn't get pass the whole visual aspect. By the way, smh at all the fashion "experts" praising her for being creative and artistic with her outfit. That was ridiculous.

Gotta agree with you guys about Beyonce being the head of her generation. Don't think I've ever heard her have a "bad day" vocally in a live performance setting, and that's saying something (especially compared to her peers). Last night was no exception.

Not a country fan, so I had never heard of Zac Brown, or his band. I enjoyed the performance though. It was more than just country. It had that whole church-tinged, soul element, especially in the intro.

Mary J. Blige: Never thought she was a great singer, and last night didn't do anything to change that. Bocelli was Bocelli though.

Pink was pretty good, especially considering she was spinning at 100 rpm about 50 ft off of the floor.

Black Eyed Peas: never really "got" them either. Just not my type of music I guess.

Taylor Swift and Stevie Nicks: pretty bad vocally.

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

I wouldn't blame Steve Nicks for the pitch issues; if you had sing with Taylor Swift's caterwauling in your ears, you'd have a hard time knowing which way was left, which way was right.

I was going to say in my earlier comment that I thought Taylor was the real offender;it seemed to me that Stevie was OK until Taylor starting singing "harmony" Then they both got off and it continued into Taylor's hit.

I can't believe I'm defending Stevie Nicks. One of my favorite South Park episodes has Stevie Nicks portrayed by a goat.

Taylor's harmonies were off. Stevie sang her own song better than her.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'm surprised that there's no kudos for Maxwell's performance here. I just wish that Roberta Flack had stayed home. Max was great until she came on stage plastered as usual.

It took me a while to recognize Narada Michael Walden behind the kit on the LP tribute. I'm glad he's gigging with Jeff. I hope to catch them if they get close.

I think we may owe Kanye an apology after seeing Taylor sing last night. She was awful.

The Styx tribute by Black Eyed Peas to Mr. Roboto didn't work for me. Not enough synth in the mix. ;)

Black eyed peas are actually growing on me. They were able to capture a specific mood with that song "I got a feeling".

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Grammmy's? Who gives a flying [signal temporarily muted]?

Almost every performance was overblown, save for Jeff Beck and Zac Brown. It was cool to see Leon Russel, but it was on the verge of redoing the disaster which was Jerry Lee Lewis a few years ago. Not as bad though, the guy could still play, albeit with slow-motion reflexes.

Too many talentless SOB's trying to sing when they can't (at least Jamie Foxx and company used autotune, what's Taylor Swift's excuse?). And in almost all the performances, the real talent which is the musicians backing these "artists" are almost always in the dark.

Pink's performance was pretty incredible I must say. Whether her vocal was pre-recorded or not doesn't take anything away from her. The girl can sing.

Am I the only person in the world who finds Beyonce's voice incredibly annoying? Don't get me wrong, she could sing (somewhat), but all that vibrato and timbre of her voice drive me up the wall.

Was Jeff Beck a good pick for a tribute to Les Paul? Of course he was! So what if he's been using Strats for the last 30 years. The guy is a disciple and could play your mother if he had to and still make art out of it. Completely authentic, yet still sounded like Beck. Best performance of the night.

When did Mary J. Blige become the great singer she's thought to be? Every time I see her perform all I hear is yelling and screaming being passed as soul power. That ain't singing if you ask me.

And Bon Jovi?? WTF???? They haven't been relevant for AT LEAST 15 years. What was the point of them being there? Let alone performing an internet request of Living on a Prayer. Are kidding me?

But ask me how I really feel about the Grammy's :D

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

And Bon Jovi?? WTF???? They haven't been relevant for AT LEAST 15 years. What was the point of them being there? Let alone performing an internet request of Living on a Prayer. Are kidding me?

I know it sounds incredible, but they released a new album last year and it debuted #1 on the Billboard charts.

It shocked the crap out of me. I had no idea that there were still Bon Jovi fans out there in that quantity.

The first song they played last night was from that CD. If you can't remember it you are not alone. It's pretty forgettable.

It shocked the crap out of me. I had no idea that there were still Bon Jovi fans out there in that quantity.

The first song they played last night was from that CD. If you can't remember it you are not alone. It's pretty forgettable.

No I know there are still plenty of Bon Jovi fans, most of them live in Montreal. They come here regularly and always sell out the venues. Boggles the mind.

As for the song being forgettable, when I was watching the performance, I kept noticing how they've been writing the same song over and over again.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Pink's Cirque Du Soleil thing was indeed cool looking. The song wasn't my thing, but the performance was kinda cool. I only caught the first part of it, and was busy doing other things, so I was not really focusing on the thing.

I didn't think Colbert was very funny in general, a bit surprising since I often think he's funny. I thought his joke about Timberlake bringing sexy back and Susan Boyle taking it away was a totally predictable, telegraphed joke, and sure enough, he got that awkward silent reaction from the audience, with hardly anyone chuckling or laughing.

Am I the only person in the world who finds Beyonce's voice incredibly annoying? Don't get me wrong, she could sing (somewhat), but all that vibrato and timbre of her voice drive me up the wall.

You may not be the only one, but I think you are at least in a small minority. She's not my favorite singer or anything but I think she brings it, and vibrato is par for the course in that style.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

If anybody cares:

2010 Jazz Grammy Award Winners

Best Contemporary Jazz Instrumental Album

* Urbanus - Stefon Harris & Blackout

* Sounding Point - Julian Lage

* At World's Edge - Philippe Saisse

* Big Neighborhood - Mike Stern

* 75 - Joe Zawinul & The Zawinul Syndicate

Best Jazz Vocal Album

* No Regrets - Randy Crawford (& Joe Sample)

* Dedicated To You: Kurt Elling Sings The Music Of Coltrane And Hartman - Kurt Elling

* So In Love - Roberta Gambarini

* Tide - Luciana Souza

* Desire - Tierney Sutton (Band)

Best Jazz Instrumental Solo Performance

* "Dancin' 4 Chicken" - Terence Blanchard soloist

* "All Of You" - Gerald Clayton soloist

* "Ms. Garvey, Ms. Garvey" - Roy Hargrove soloist

* "On Green Dolphin Street" - Martial Solal soloist

* "Villa Palmeras" - Miguel Zenón soloist

Best Jazz Instrumental Album

* Quartet Live - Gary Burton, Pat Metheny,Steve Swallow & Antonio Sanchez

* Brother To Brother - The Clayton Brothers

* Five Peace Band Live - Chick Corea & John McLaughlin Five Peace Band

* Rememberance - John Patitucci Trio

* The Bright Mississippi - Allen Toussaint

Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album

* Legendary - Bob Florence Limited Edition

* Eternal Interlude - John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble

* Fun Time - Sammy Nestico And The SWR Big Band

* Book One - New Orleans Jazz Orchestra

* Lab 2009 - University of North Texas One O'Clock Lab Band

Best Latin Jazz Album

* Things I Wanted To Do - Chembo Corniel

* Áurea - Geoffrey Keezer

* Brazilliance X 4 - Claudio Roditi

* Juntos Para Siempre - Bebo Valdés And Chucho Valdés

* Esta Plena - Miguel Zenón

Those are the nominees, Montunoman. The winners:

Best Contemporary Jazz Instrumental Album

* 75 - Joe Zawinul & The Zawinul Syndicate

Best Jazz Vocal Album

* Dedicated To You: Kurt Elling Sings The Music Of Coltrane And Hartman - Kurt Elling

Best Jazz Instrumental Solo Performance

* "Dancin' 4 Chicken" - Terence Blanchard soloist

Best Jazz Instrumental Album

* Five Peace Band Live - Chick Corea & John McLaughlin Five Peace Band

Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album

* Book One - New Orleans Jazz Orchestra

Best Latin Jazz Album

* Juntos Para Siempre - Bebo Valdés And Chucho Valdés

I was fascinated by Pink's Cirque du Soleil routine. I mean it's a visual show - and that was amazing.

Beyonce is the real deal and continues to be head of the class of this generation of performers. I'm not sure why she would insert Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" in the middle of her routine - the song's most known for it's prominent F-bomb in the first verse which she didn't include - but it did fit thematically I guess.

:thu: Plus one on both counts!

TROLL . . . ish.

LOL - I love that clip, Richie! Thanks for posting it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ok, so I totally did not get the memo that the Grammys were on last night. We have been hit by an unexpected onslaught of snow and thus were out with the friends and family doing some night sledding last night. Came back to the house and watched a little bit of the Pro Bowl (lame), but missed the Grammys altogether! Today I heard someone saying how "amazing" the Pink performance was, but they were unable to tell me what song it was.

I dig pop culture and Top 40, but somehow I missed this one.

Today I heard someone saying how "amazing" the Pink performance was, but they were unable to tell me what song it was.

It was Glitter In The Air of her Funhouse CD. If you hurry, you can view it on YouTube before the Grammy copyright folks get it pulled... ;)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qET6mlPb8uk

Today I heard someone saying how "amazing" the Pink performance was, but they were unable to tell me what song it was.

It was Glitter In The Air of her Funhouse CD. If you hurry, you can view it on YouTube before the Grammy copyright folks get it pulled... ;)

Thanks, RC. It did not really do much for me.

Thanks, RC. It did not really do much for me.

Yeah, it wasn't much musically speaking (but then, there really wasn't anything on the show that was, except perhaps the Beyonce performance), but I enjoyed watching her spilling water on the tuxedo-wearing folks around the stage... ;)

Man, I'd give her 30 seconds of the worst sex she ever had.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

It did not really do much for me.

Well I agree in that it wasn't a world changing vocal or musical performance, but it had it's place in the Grammy history books..

I think the total package of Pink singing a song live, then singing it 50 ft in the air, then ad spinning, then add water, then as someone else eluded to, you gotta hold your bile and the song key the whole time....pretty amazing!

Even if I could manage all those things, when it came down to the bow at the end, I'd have stumbled and fallen over, just as I had as a kid getting off a playground merry-go-round once my friends spun me up for 3 minutes.

Did anyone notice the reaction by Santana and India Arie afterward...that told the story!

Pink's role last night was being the do-er of the things we dream of doing, but could never bring ourselves to do. In any event, I'm so so glad her star has finally eclipsed that of Kelly Clarkson, who's very talented, but is also very one dimensional.

TROLL . . . ish.

Did Beyonce's neo-military schtick reminded anyone else of Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation that's 20+ years old?

Just watched it on Youtube, and it did remind me of that. Don't think many people made that reference, though, as most of Beyonce's fan base probably wasn't even born when that Janet Jackson album came out.

It also struck me as funny because it was so out of place and unrelated to the song. She come walking out all serious intense-like with this whole army of uniformed dudes, then proceeds to launch into.....a power ballad?

Some thing with the random Alanis Morrisette interjection. Where did that come from?

Did Beyonce's neo-military schtick reminded anyone else of Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation that's 20+ years old?

Just watched it on Youtube, and it did remind me of that. Don't think many people made that reference, though, as most of Beyonce's fan base probably wasn't even born when that Janet Jackson album came out.

It also struck me as funny because it was so out of place and unrelated to the song. She come walking out all serious intense-like with this whole army of uniformed dudes, then proceeds to launch into.....a power ballad?

Some thing with the random Alanis Morrisette interjection. Where did that come from?

If you watched your 21 year old daughter well up in tears the first time she watched the vid of "If I Were A Boy" (as I did) then it may all make a little more sense to you. This is of course Beyonce's target audience.

Instead of casting the protagonist as the victim (as in the original video) Beyonce turned the tables and became the victor for the Grammys - which explains the shock troops and the insertion of "You Oughta Know".

I think that's what she was doing. Hell what do I know - I'm a middle aged man.

Archived