Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2010 Grammys

Bobadohshe

Anyone watch? Anyone care? I'm watching right now and I'm amazed at how for all the serious $$$ they put into this and crazy productions, the mix is always lame and there are technical difficulties. Lady Antebellum's whole performance was so quiet. Anyway I don't know if anything can top the 50th with Herbie's awards. So far I'm a little underwhelemed....

:tired:

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Left me wondering too, Bobby. Tons of serious big $$$ production, but like you I feel that there was a degree of consistency and quality missing - considering all of the money and effort involved. I agree with you about that 50th show. Compared the that, this one underwhelmed me too...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The Grammys never sounded better!

We had had a couple over for dinner and were watching with the sound totally down---I had "Keith Jarrett @ the Blue Note" and Murray Perahia playing Bach-English Suites on in the background.

Perfect :thu::)

The Grammys never sounded better!

We had had a couple over for dinner and were watching with the sound totally down---I had "Keith Jarrett @ the Blue Note" and Murray Perahia playing Bach-English Suites on in the background.

Perfect :thu::)

Interesting combination :-) I TiVoed it, but not sure now I can even slog through it - there have to be some good musical moments, somewhere in there, but...

To me, most all of these types of "award shows" are self-absorbed people trying to convince other self-absorbed people that they are "all that". I like all kinds of music, but I can't sit through much of these types of shows anymore. I will say this about the small parts I saw: Lady GaGa's has the most distracting vibrato and nasal sound I think I have ever heard. And, Michael Jackson would turn over in his grave is he could see what his family is doing with his kids. (And I'm not a huge MJ fan, but his music is great)

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

The first thing to understand: The awards show is not for musicians, it is for Mr and Mrs America who listen to music on the radio and don't have much more involvement than that. The show generates a lot of income for the Academy, which does a lot of good things. It also keeps the music industry 'in the face' of the general non-musical public.

I usually do not watch. As a former VP and member of the board of Governors of the Philadelphia Chapter, I know a little about what goes on. The one high point, and something that I used to rail about: the FINALLY stopped having comedians host the show. It is an awards show for and about musicians, honoring musicians. The straw that broke -this- particular camels back was the year that they hired Rosie O'Donnell, about which I complained before they did it. She knew nothing about the artists and spent the whole show putting down the honorees.

But the Rock'N'Roll GirlFriend loves all things involving music, so we watched.

Anyway, finally musicians introduce musicians... except when they want to invite QT, who stood up there and made a fool of himself trying to talk 'street', what a moron.

I've never been a fan of the Grammys, I joined to try to make the event more relevant to my musical tastes. I discovered that the organization is pretty cool. But I left under the old regime, over a support issue. When the musicians went on strike on Broadway the producers were willing to go without them, but the stagehands stood up and said that they would not cross the musicians picket line. No stage hands, no show. The producers settled with the musicians, and everything was good. When the writers in LA went on strike, the Academy (musicians) said that they were going to have a TV show anyway. There was nothing critical or necessary about the awards show being on any given day or month, they could have postponed the show and supported the writers, just as the stage hands supported them when they needed help. That selfish act caused me to leave the Academy.

I hate the stupid skits and the other nonsense, but as I said at the top, that stuff isn't for us, it is for TV entertainment value.

So many artists had pitch problems that I would suspect that there was a monitoring issue last night.

The muting was done to bleep swearing. They were not technical problems.

However, in a live show of this magnitude with all of the various elements going on all at once and the demands made by certain artists, it would be unusual NOT to have the odd slip. It is amazing that it all goes as smoothly as it does, the technical crews rock.

But no, I don't care about awards shows in general and this one in particular because it does not reflect my musical tastes.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

So many artists had pitch problems that I would suspect that there was a monitoring issue last night.

I hope that was the case. Didn't see a lot of it, but did catch Taylor Swift "with her hero" Stevie Nicks and their pitch was horrendous. Not a fan of either, but I was embarassed for them.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I dunno - I watched quite a bit of it and actually enjoyed most of the show this year. A few thoughts:

That B3 player from the Zac Brown Band can really sing. Wow!

Stevie Nicks can't. They were auto-tuning practically everyone else, and they sure should have thrown that contraption on her too. She needed it the most.

When Bon Jovi started "Living On A Prayer" I was thinking - he still can't hit those high "Cs" in the chorus anymore can he? He can't. A chick did for him and Jon just stood there.

I was fascinated by Pink's Cirque du Soleil routine. I mean it's a visual show - and that was amazing.

Beyonce is the real deal and continues to be head of the class of this generation of performers. I'm not sure why she would insert Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" in the middle of her routine - the song's most known for it's prominent F-bomb in the first verse which she didn't include - but it did fit thematically I guess.

I fell asleep somewhere in the third hour - so it didn't totally captivate me.

I dug the Beyonce more than anything else too, but not by much. She is the leader of this generation of performers though, I agree with that. I can't put my finger on what particularly turned me off this year compared to other years, but I found myself actually kind of disgusted with a lot of it and unable to sit through it all. There's just something a little inhuman about all those Hollywood faces. For the MJ tribute: Carrie Underwood, Celine Dion, Smokey Robinson, Jennifer Hudson, Usher? It's like they pulled names out of a hat. That might be cool to some, but to me it felt watered down. Does Carrie Underwood owe her career to MJs great legacy?!

Dave I think I would have enjoyed your version a lot more!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I wouldn't blame Steve Nicks for the pitch issues; if you had sing with Taylor Swift's caterwauling in your ears, you'd have a hard time knowing which way was left, which way was right.

As for the monitoring problems, I'm sorry, I believe its the fact that most of these people CANNOT sing. Dave Matthews seemed to be okay; Antebellum seemed okay (not familiar with them, but if it was the act I was thinking of, I think they were synching as well; lots of great acoustic guitar playing with no acoustics onstage....but again, I may have them confused with another act last nite); ZacBrown seemed okay, Leon Russell seemed okay. Pink seemed okay....I mean, her precorded vocal seemed spot on, even while being spun around after her water broke and she spilled afterbirth on the audience. In fact the real singers of the evening sounded fine. All men are not created equal, women neither. You can't expect these people to look like supermodels AND sing can you?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I wouldn't blame Steve Nicks for the pitch issues; if you had sing with Taylor Swift's caterwauling in your ears, you'd have a hard time knowing which way was left, which way was right.

I was going to say in my earlier comment that I thought Taylor was the real offender;it seemed to me that Stevie was OK until Taylor starting singing "harmony" Then they both got off and it continued into Taylor's hit.

I can't believe I'm defending Stevie Nicks. One of my favorite South Park episodes has Stevie Nicks portrayed by a goat.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

It was not a good awards program by any measure.

Did Beyonce's neo-military schtick reminded anyone else of Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation that's 20+ years old?

How much did Apple pay for Stephen Colbert to flash an iPad?

I read elsewhere that the Zac Brown Band released it's 1st album in 2004 and 2 more followed. What qualifies a Best "New" Artist?

Was Bon Jovi, with no nominations this year, relevant for this show? Can I have that 5 minutes of my life back?

WTF with the 3D glasses? Were viewers supposed to pick them up at a Grammy sponsor location? That made the whole MJ segment an unwatchable mess.

Meanwhile, Joe Zawinul "75" won the contemporary jazz album Grammy.

I only got as far as the opening shot of Lady Gag in her Klingon outfit. If I'd known Elton John was accompanying her I might have stuck around for a couple of minutes, but that would have been my limit.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The best musical performance last night was Homer Simpson singing the synth solo to Emerson Lake & Palmer's "Lucky Man" on The Simpsons. That was more entertaining than everything on the Grammys put together..

Pink's performance on the Grammy's was well worth seeing and will likely be the most talked about part of the Grammys for good reason. She looked like noone should have a right to. Awesome.

The worst performance was Taylor Swift and Stevie Nicks. Taylor was out of tune badly and they butchered several songs.

The most telling faux pas was Jamie Foxx singing with auto-tune on, and then saying a few words to the audience with the effect still on. Oops.

BTW: Stephen Colbert's Christmas album really is a riot and it's great that he won a Grammy for it, though he'll be very hard to live with now because of it.

+1 to what Bill said.

I know some people here who are members of the local chapter. They have had mixers to try to get people to join. The biggest reason I'd consider joining would be support their work for music in schools, etc. I know some people get really excited about the Grammys, and obviously Taylor Swift does ;) , but those kinds of things don't do anything for me. It's clear why so many involved think it's a big deal though. There are still people who think being number one, having a hit single, etc., is important or is their goal.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I read elsewhere that the Zac Brown Band released it's 1st album in 2004 and 2 more followed. What qualifies a Best "New" Artist?

Until last night, the only thing I knew about this band was the ubiquitous and stupid "Chicken Fried" which was drilled incessantly into our heads - two years ago - so that was a strange one. After hearing them perform onstage I know a little more about them now - which is the cool thing about award shows like this. Hearing their B3 player sing was one of the most pleasant surprises of the show to me. If I hadn't seen them last night, I would have written the group off as idiots because my only exposure to them was that moronic single.

:laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I thought the Zac Brown Band with Leon Russell was the best performance (that was actually played) of the night. Not sure about the whole "new artist thing" but it didn't take anything away from their performance.

I won't even bother to comment on the Swift/Nicks fiasco other than "ladies, friends don't let friends sing flat".

The final performance by Lil Wayne, Eminem and Drake sounded best when the censors had to mute the audio for as many as 5 seconds at a time to kill the expletives (thanks guys). What a waste to watch. Do you think it's possible for any of these guys to get through 30 seconds of performing without unleashing an F-bomb? They did realize it was national TV, right?

The overall productions, while impressive were overblown and I find them a little unnecessary at a show to honor "musical excellence." A mic, stage, some amps and some instruments, coupled with a few people who actually know what to do with them is all that is needed.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Taylor Swift and Stevie Nicks duet was awful. Taylor was all over the place and I have never been a fan of Stevie, I always thought she was pitchy.

Leon did Leon and Zac Browns B3 player can sing his arse off.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Without commenting on the rest, as i agree with most that's been said here: as far as the auto-tune; on those songs the over the top use is part of the song. T-Pain uses it as his signature sound. The Jaimie Foxx song uses it as a signature song. So, when they forgot to turn it off when he spoke, it wasn't such a big deal, at least to me. It wasn't as if they were using it to help his vocals.

That doesn't mean I like it, but I don't think it was some big hush hush thing.

I did notice the very visible lack of Kanye West last night.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

+1 for the Zac Brown Band performance. I admit I had a hard time explaining "who Leon Russell is" to my 16 year old.

It was a little ironic that Jeff Beck was called on for the Les Paul tribute when Beck has been a Fender guy since the late '70s and has a signature model Strat. The cover of "Blow By Blow" might be the last time he's been seen with a Les Paul in his hands. It would have a been a better use of Jennifer Nettles to have her sing "How High the Moon" than covering for Bon Jovi.

More irony: with all the AT on the vocals last night, the Grammy for best rap vocal went to Jay Z for "DOA (Death of Auto Tune".

as far as the auto-tune; on those songs the over the top use is part of the song. T-Pain uses it as his signature sound. The Jaimie Foxx song uses it as a signature song. So, when they forgot to turn it off when he spoke, it wasn't such a big deal, at least to me. It wasn't as if they were using it to help his vocals.

Well ya learn something new everyday. That's what autotune 'sounds' like?

I always thought that was some cheesy vocoder effect....

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

It was a little ironic that Jeff Beck was called on for the Les Paul tribute when Beck has been a Fender guy since the late '70s and has a signature model Strat. The cover of "Blow By Blow" might be the last time he's been seen with a Les Paul in his hands.

Youre right about that, but the Paul was Jeffs trademark for a long long time before the Strat. He and Les were friends, and who better to give fitting tribute to Les Paul than Jeff Beck? Please dont say Slash! Jeff played amazingly on that, and I doubt anyone else on that show last nite could have approached the performance of that song with as much style, authenticity, reverence and technique. That was a highlight of the show for me.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

The overall productions, while impressive were overblown and I find them a little unnecessary at a show to honor "musical excellence." A mic, stage, some amps and some instruments, coupled with a few people who actually know what to do with them is all that is needed.

Well it was nice to see that in the middle of a recession, they managed to tone it down a bit. ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

It was a little ironic that Jeff Beck was called on for the Les Paul tribute when Beck has been a Fender guy since the late '70s and has a signature model Strat. The cover of "Blow By Blow" might be the last time he's been seen with a Les Paul in his hands.

Youre right about that, but the Paul was Jeffs trademark for a long long time before the Strat. He and Les were friends, and who better to give fitting tribute to Les Paul than Jeff Beck? Please dont say Slash! Jeff played amazingly on that, and I doubt anyone else on that show last nite could have approached the performance of that song with as much style, authenticity, reverence and technique. That was a highlight of the show for me.

Don't get me wrong. Beck was great and an excellent choice. It's just odd seeing him on a LP these days. That segment should have received more time. After all, who last night was more important to the music business than Les Paul? It might have been fun to line up a diverse string of rock/pop/country/jazz guitar players all on LPs and have them trade 4s/8s (Beck, Vince Gill/Brad Paisley, John Mayer, Bill Frisell)...but that would have taken away time from Jamie Foxx or Lil Wayne.

The final performance by Lil Wayne, Eminem and Drake sounded best when the censors had to mute the audio for as many as 5 seconds at a time to kill the expletives (thanks guys). What a waste to watch. Do you think it's possible for any of these guys to get through 30 seconds of performing without unleashing an F-bomb? They did realize it was national TV, right?

It is bad enough that they get away with it in the studio, on CDs and radio airwaves. Still, I find it hard to believe there isn't one responsible person around these cats asking them to clean up the lyrics prior to performances of this magnitude. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived