Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Apple Announcement

Joe Muscara

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not being an Apple fanboy myself, I'm not sure how limiting lack of multitasking is on this product. Can you do simple things like listen to your music while surfing the web? Or IM or text while something else is open?

I never pay much attention to this stuff normally, but I just got done watching "Washington Week with Gwen Ifill" on my notebook because I was gigging last night when it was broadcast. After right clicking on the video window - sure enough it's Flash.

You guys go for it. The iPad doesn't fit my lifestyle.

I'm sure you have all seen it by now, but if you haven't check out "Hitler Responds to the iPad" on Youtube. Whether or not you like the iPad (or Hitler for that matter), it's great satire.

Hey, Happy Birthday, Joe. :thu:

OT:Breaking News: Apple does it again:

Apple announced today that it has developed a breast implant that can

store and play music. The iTit will cost from $499 to $699 depending on

cup and speaker size. This is considerd a major social breakthrough,

because women are always complaining about men staring at their breasts

and not listening to them.

This article really puts it all into perspective.

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html

While things like no multitasking may seem shocking to many of us, one of the things that my wife has problems with is one of the things the article directly addresses - even something as simple as the Finder can confuse people when they think that an application is at the fore. This really is the computer for the masses. I'm 100% convinced now - absolute success.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Thanks Steve!

Bill, Of course you can listen to your music while you do other activities. Just like on the iPod touch or iPhone. As far as IM or texting, maybe not, but an iPhone user can tell you how that works. You can get "push notifications" while you're doing something else, so you're alerted to new texts or IM messages or any other app that supports push. You need to go into the app to do anything with them besides read them.

The "no multitasking" on these OS X devices is weird, because they actually can. For one, the OS is OS X (just not Mac OS X; note how Apple makes that distinction) so underneath it's that same powerful OS, in fact closely related to BSD/UNIX just like Mac OS X. For another, you can make calls and do other things like the commercial demonstrates, and listen to music while you surf or whatever.

Apple's excuse is that on the iPhone, background apps suck battery life and hinder performance. I'm not sure of their reasoning on the iPad.

As far as Flash videos, many videos on YouTube are available in H.264, which are viewable on iPhone/iPod touch/iPad. There's an app for that. :thu: Even Vimeo is now supporting it with their mobile site. Screw Flash.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

While things like no multitasking may seem shocking to many of us, one of the things that my wife has problems with is one of the things the article directly addresses - even something as simple as the Finder can confuse people when they think that an application is at the fore. This really is the computer for the masses. I'm 100% convinced now - absolute success.

Finally!!! :facepalm:

Here for the gear.

As far as Flash videos, many videos on YouTube are available in H.264, which are viewable on iPhone/iPod touch/iPad. There's an app for that. :thu: Even Vimeo is now supporting it with their mobile site. Screw Flash.

OK - here's that YouTube Hitler/iPad video, and on my PC Flash is enabled in order to play it:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

Joe I don't want to bug you on your birthday, but do Apple portable devices have another way to play videos like this? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything - I'm just trying to learn something. I really don't know anything about this stuff, other than when I click on them they play.

Excellent article, Kevin! The rest of the world doesn't want to futz with their computer; they just want a small simple appliance that lets them get stuff done. Apple's going to sell millions of these things. I'll be sharing this article widely.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

OK - here's that YouTube Hitler/iPad video, and on my PC Flash is enabled in order to play it:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

Joe I don't want to bug you on your birthday, but do Apple portable devices have another way to play videos like this? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything - I'm just trying to learn something. I really don't know anything about this stuff, other than when I click on them they play.

This is how Youtube works for me on my laptop. I have a plugin installed that disables Flash, but lets me click on a Flash element to enable it. In Youtube, it also gives me the option of playing the video as h.264 instead of Flash. Look at how the video you linked to appears to me on Youtube

http://www.kevinanker.net/ytshot.png

See how it's not the typical Flash transport at the bottom? That's Quicktime playing an h.264 vid that the typical Youtube Flash vid wraps, the same vid I would see on my iPod touch.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Kevin's got it.

Since day one, the iPhone has had an app called "YouTube" that plays the h.264 (non-Flash) versions of videos. The iPad has a similar (but better and larger) app. Go to this page and scroll down to "YouTube" in the right column, about 4 items down.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This really is the computer for the masses. I'm 100% convinced now - absolute success.

I'm still not convinced there's a market. As has been pointed many times, it's not powerful enough for the serious techies, and doesn't offer much incentive for current iPhone/iPod Touch users to purchase a new device, simple and accessible to the masses as it may be. If I had the choice between the iPad and an iPhone, I'd choose the iPhone because of the fact that it's much smaller (and therefore way more convenient) and it can do the same "stuff" (actually more since you can make calls as well). Everything else being equal, I'd rather have a device that can go right in my pocket instead of something I need to find a home for when I'm traveling.

But hey, that's just me. Apple hit the ball out of the park with the iPhone/iPod Touch concept, and in my opinion this is just kind of a step sideways, not backward or forward. It'll please that percentage of people who have a desire for a bigger iPod, and possibly also snag some new customers for the same reason, but for a large percentage of consumers it doesn't fill any need.

Cool product. Not a game changer, but cool.

Bridog, how do you explain the popularity of netbooks? There seems to be a market for a device bigger than a phone but simpler than a laptop.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I wouldn't call a netbook simpler than a laptop, or very much different for that matter. Simply a laptop in a smaller package. In fact, netbooks are really the new laptops, as laptops are more and more becoming desktop replacement devices. In my opinion, the iPad doesn't offer any competition in the netbook consumer market just like the iPhone and iPod touch don't. Good devices, but geared for different purposes. Like I said before, the iPhone is really the culmination of Apple's current technology. Powerful and versatile enough, yet small and ultra-portable. The iPad doesn't improve upon it in my opinion, just makes it different. And different may be appealing to some, but I don't see it making a huge impact.

This is another really good commentary on the iPad, though it's really about the future of computing in general.

http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/359224392/i-need-to-talk-to-you-about-computers-ive-been

I've been struck about how this has always really been the goal at Apple at least since the Mac/1984 era, but only now they're really finally there. What else is interesting to me is that the previous paradigms came from outside, but the current one (what I have begun to call "iP devices," iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) seems to have been developed in-house.

I never pay much attention to this stuff normally, but I just got done watching "Washington Week with Gwen Ifill" on my notebook because I was gigging last night when it was broadcast. After right clicking on the video window - sure enough it's Flash.

I have two devices I use to watch "Washington Week" with. One's called a television -- TV for short -- and the other is called a videocassette recorder, or VCR. I predict big success for those media formats.

Granted, I can't get Internet access or watch Flash videos with either one, but I still find them both quite useful.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I have two devices I use to watch "Washington Week" with. One's called a television -- TV for short -- and the other is called a videocassette recorder, or VCR. I predict big success for those media formats.

Granted, I can't get Internet access or watch Flash videos with either one, but I still find them both quite useful.

Best,

Geoff

OK I'll bite :D

1. I'm almost always working on Friday nights.

2. My VCR and DVR are pretty much playback only devices today because neither of them has an ATSC tuner.

3. It's much easier to just stream the video onto my computer than to set a timer anyway. The PBS website has practically every show they've ever broadcast available for free (way to go guys!) and if I want to watch it on my flatscreen I can hook it up to my new notebook via HDMI. Windows 7 makes running dual screens a snap. The settings are now right on the front panel.

I'm really digging my new i3 Win7 notebook btw. This thing powers up in around a half minute and power down is practically instantaneous. It's really fast. If I ever stop having so much fun on it I might actually start to try to do something useful around here. :D Picked it up last week at Fry's for $599.

Archived