Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Apple Announcement

Joe Muscara

Please use this thread to discuss Apple's product announcement today, whether rumors beforehand or your reaction during/after the announcement.

I know I'm not a moderator, but I started this thread so you guys could do me a favor. I have some things to do today, so I won't be watching the live blogging of the Apple event like I usually do. Also, I often find that the live blogging misses key elements of the presentation. They'll get the numbers right, but they'll miss the positioning of the product or something like that.

So, I thought I'd conduct a little experiment. I'm going to try to stay off the Interwebz until Apple posts the video from the event later today (if they don't post it today the experiment is over). The one place I'd like to be able to visit throughout the day when I can is here. By creating this thread, I'm hoping to avoid seeing threads that say, "Apple Announces New Brain Implant" or whatever.

Yes, I know the tablet is all but assured. But whatever makes it special, one of those Apple products you just gotta have, is still somewhat unknown. It's also possible that Apple will have a few other announcements as part of the event. I'd rather find out about them first in their full Jobsian glory if I can help it.

Thanks!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clarification: the iPhone OS is OS X. What you probably mean is it won't be running Mac OS X. There are more similarities than differences between the two anyway.

Also, I think the performance issues of the iPhone are mostly due to the processor. IIRC, Daring Fireball discussed that at one point.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

How many times have you refreshed this thread, Joe? ;)
LOL

Frantic Steve Jobs Stays Up All Night Designing Apple Tablet

JANUARY 27, 2010 | ISSUE 4604

CUPERTINO, CAClaiming that he completely forgot about the much-hyped electronic device until the last minute, a frantic Steve Jobs reportedly stayed up all night Tuesday in a desperate effort to design Apple's new tablet computer. "Come on, Steve, just thinkthink, dammityou're running out of time," the exhausted CEO said as he glued nine separate iPhones to the back of a plastic cafeteria tray. "Okay, yeah, this will work. This will definitely work. Just need to write 'tablet' on this little strip of masking tape here and I'm golden. Oh, come on, you piece of shit! Just stick already!" Middle-of-the-night sources reported that Jobs then began work on double-spacing his Keynote presentation and increasing the font size to make it appear longer.

:D

source

Man how sexy would it be if they announced the new MACPROS today? It's supposed to be first quarter '10, but people were talking about March. I am READY for them to be out.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I just found this e-mail from Macworld in my in-box:

Apple will hold a product event on Wednesday, January 27 at 10 a.m. PT in San Francisco to unveil what the company is billing as its "latest creation." And Macworld is on hand with blow-by-blow coverage of the big unveiling. Join our live blog as we pass along all the news the instant Apple delivers it.

http://www.macworld.com/article/145805/2010/01/apple_event.html?lsrc=newsalert

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I think flash is not supported.

That can't be right... Jobs ran a YouTube vid on it, and Youtube vids are all Flash encoded.

Probably just a alpha/beta issue. Speaking of dev schedule, did they give any indication of when it was going to be available other than "later in the year"?

Okay, don't get me wrong...but I'm not seeing why this is a big deal at all.

Yes, you guys know I'm a mac guy, I own an iPhone, etc. But I'm missing the point of this device.

+1

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I have no intention of buying one within the next 3 years, but the potential I see with the iPad for musicians:

1. E-reader for sheet music (bigger display than iPhone)

2. Wireless control surface for DAWs (more real estate than iPhone)

3. Other synth apps and music apps we might not even be thinking of right now. Past examples for iPhone include Bebot, Jasuto, RjDj.

Yes, you guys know I'm a mac guy, I own an iPhone, etc. But I'm missing the point of this device.

+1

Yeah, me too. It doesn't fit in my pocket...and if I need something bigger than my iPhone/am going to have to carry something, I have a Macbook Air.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

http://c0581892.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/apple-tablet-keynote_180.jpg

http://c0581892.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/apple-tablet-keynote_175.jpg

I think this makes more sense than a MB Air, but I'll wait for the Gen2.

And here's hoping that virtual instruments will be adapted to run on this.

+1

+2

Although you never know. Maybe in 2 years it will be something no one can live without.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I think flash is not supported.

That can't be right... Jobs ran a YouTube vid on it, and Youtube vids are all Flash encoded.

Same on iPhone. You can play YouTube vids but all other flash is disabled.

It was pointed out to me elsewhere that Apple has a proprietary YouTube player that could very well mean that Flash is not generally available on the iPad, which would be kind of a bummer.

But I'm in the group with Bryce et al: I already have a portable kick-ass computer in my MacBook Pro. If I want something smaller, an iPhone would be fine. I'm not sure who/where the market is for this iPad.

I'm a Mac guy too, so I'll likely want to get one to go along with my iPhone, iMac, MBP, Original Mac II, Mac SE and my Apple II (the last three are in the archives for posterity).

I think its a cool device, but at the end of the day, its rather like a big iPhone.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

At this price, I find it a sensible alternative for a laptop or netbook. It may not yet be powerful enough to run VI's etc. and the inability to multi-task is a dealbreaker for now, but for generic use I'd have this over a laptop any day.

Just not to have to use a mouse or touchpad makes it worth it.

Still, I'll wait for gen-2.

I'm confused as well. But we are not alone. There are a lot of pro analysts this morning who are trying to figure out just who is going to buy this thing - and how they are going to use it.

For the kinds of things I would use it for, I think I'd want a physical keyboard that's on demand at all times. And full qwerty would be preferable - so I don't have to relearn how to type yet again!

Like on my notebook - ;)

I'm confused as well. But we are not alone. There are a lot of pro analysts this morning who are trying to figure out just who is going to buy this thing - and how they are going to use it.

For the kinds of things I would use it for, I think I'd want a physical keyboard that's on demand at all times. And full qwerty would be preferable - so I don't have to relearn how to type yet again!

Like on my notebook - ;)

http://c0581892.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/apple-tablet-keynote_184.jpg

http://c0581892.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/apple-tablet-keynote_188.jpg

Archived