Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Apple Announcement

Joe Muscara

I think there's a market for what is essentially a bigger iPod Touch with a few significant additions.

You may be right, but what significant additions did they make exactly? Literally the only new-ish aspect of it that I can discern so far is its size and form factor. Functionally, there appears to be no new ground broken that I can tell.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with the SS poster who characterized many of the comments as "overwrought". I would remind folks that the so called hype was not generated by Apple; they were their usual silent selves. People had their own unreasonable expectations that weren't met. Clearly Apple felt compelled to compete in the lucrative netbook market, as people have been asking them to do for quite some time. No, since I have an iPhone and a MacBook, I have no need for the iPad; though I may buy the $500 version as an entry level laptop for my kids. But am I in any way disappointed by the iPad's release? Absolutely not. All I see is potential for the future.

That's exactly my point, actually. You'd need a 3G model for it to be worth your while I would think.

Not true for me. Not true for Kevin either, if I read his posts right.

Okay. I stand corrected then. For me, anyway, it's not worth it without the 3G ability.

I won't lie, I'd love to own one, but is it cutting edge technology? Nah. I'm not saying Apple promised to blow everyone's minds, although they certainly do a good job of hyping themselves. I have no problem waiting a couple years until they cost 1/2 as much. The more I think about it, however, the more I think I would rather just use my laptop even if I did own one. The iPhone and iPod touch are really cool because of their extreme portability. By making a bigger version, they made it less attractive in many ways. Just my opinion.

My iPod Touch is great in spite of the lack of 3g. I have a portable internet device which allows me to leave the laptop at home if I so desire. I have access at countless internet sites worldwide thanks to Boingo. When I'm overseas, it's my phone. That said, if Verizon gets the iPhone, then so will I.

For my uses, the iPad is not gonna work. When I need portable internet, I have my iPod Touch, when I need to work I have my MBP. My wife on the other hand is a perfect candidate for the iPad. The most she does on the computer is some word processing. Other than that, it's email and the web. She's currently getting by on an aging 867MHz 12" PowerBook. It's big and bulky for its size, it's getting old and temperamental, and something like the iPad will fill the niche for her perfectly at a great price.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I agree with those that see this as a nice alternative to a netbook. I would love to try iRealBook and to view PDFs on it.

As to the question of 3G or not 3G: I wonder if this thing does Bluetooth and whether it can be tethered to the iPhone as easily as my MBP can? If so, problem solved.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Here's some mostly-negative reaction from some musicians and technologists, posted at Sonic State today:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/01/28/reactions-to-apples-ipad/

These are better thought-out criticisms than the usual forum fare. Peter Kirn and Holmes Wilson are basically saying the same thing - and it's a legitimate concern.

What is this concern? That it's not an open platform like a Mac? If that's it, I'm not bothered at all. This isn't the latest iMac; and it's not going to cannibalize Mac sales much, if at all. Like the iPod, or iPhone, or any consumer device that has a computer under the hood (TiVo, Xbox, etc.), its reason for being is to fulfill specific consumer needs, not to be a computer.

It's not a Mac. If the next Mac features a closed system -- and I highly doubt it will -- then there will be legitimate reason for concern. ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

You'd need a 3G model for it to be worth your while I would think. After all, what good is an "on the go device" that seems to be so heavily marketed toward the internet crowd if you can't surf the web on the go? Plus, note the "data plan sold separately." There you have it: then entry-level model isn't worth it, and the decent models are significantly more expensive than the $499 number everybody's throwing around.

You're right in that perhaps "closer to $1k" is exaggerating, but it's relative. I know they don't actually cost $1k. The key part of the phrase was "closer to."

To my knowledge, competing netbooks do not have built-in 3G functionality. As far as I can tell, neither does the $1795 HP Slate that you mentioned.

I would say that a $30 p/m unlimited dataplan without contract is probably the best deal currently available, but I have not done any kind of extensive research.

I'll pass on the iPad for now, but I do think it's a good deal if you're in the market for such a thing.

I think there's a market for what is essentially a bigger iPod Touch with a few significant additions.

You may be right, but what significant additions did they make exactly? Literally the only new-ish aspect of it that I can discern so far is its size and form factor. Functionally, there appears to be no new ground broken that I can tell.

Here are two that I know of:

1) The iPad downloads digital books in the ePub format from the iBookstore.

2) Apple modified its iWork suite to be iPad compatible.

Best,

Geoff

This is one area where Windows might have an upper hand.

Running a full O/S rather than a mobile version opens up many possibiities with multi-touch screens and netbooks.

A 16 Gig version running the GSI stuff on the most basic Windows install and simple VST host, mini USB ports for midi and to a Ultralite?

It's going to get competitive very quickly. I don't see Apple as having the upperhand here by remarketing their mobile OS.

Not a game changer in my opinion.

Here's some mostly-negative reaction from some musicians and technologists, posted at Sonic State today:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/01/28/reactions-to-apples-ipad/

These are better thought-out criticisms than the usual forum fare. Peter Kirn and Holmes Wilson are basically saying the same thing - and it's a legitimate concern.

What is this concern? That it's not an open platform like a Mac?

Keep in mind both of those guys are very pro-open source development, pro-Linux. I guess Peter's main concern, which I consider legitimate even if I don't whole-heartedly buy into it, is whether this latest Apple product will stifle innovation.

Here's Peter's full editorial:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/01/27/how-a-great-product-can-be-bad-news-apple-ipad-and-the-closed-mac/

"Apple alone controls the distribution of media. Apple already has a dangerously dominant position in the consumption of music and mobile software, and their iTunes-device link ensures that content goes through their store, their conduit, and ultimately their control. This means that developers are limited in what they can create for the device when it comes to media a streaming Last.fm app is okay, but an independent music store (like Amazon MP3 on Android) is not....What if competitors follow this broken path, or fail to offer strong alternatives?...Could Apples multi-touch patents actually stifle growth of new, interactive displays?"

Well, people are already starting to talk about developing a control surface software program for the iPad, which would be cheaper than Lemur.

And some are wondering about developing a DAW that runs on it. Probably not realistic though, given the limited horsepower and memory.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

What is this concern? That it's not an open platform like a Mac?

Keep in mind both of those guys are very pro-open source development, pro-Linux. I guess Peter's main concern, which I consider legitimate even if I don't whole-heartedly buy into it, is whether this latest Apple product will stifle innovation.

Here's Peter's full editorial:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/01/27/how-a-great-product-can-be-bad-news-apple-ipad-and-the-closed-mac/

"Apple alone controls the distribution of media. Apple already has a dangerously dominant position in the consumption of music and mobile software, and their iTunes-device link ensures that content goes through their store, their conduit, and ultimately their control. This means that developers are limited in what they can create for the device when it comes to media a streaming Last.fm app is okay, but an independent music store (like Amazon MP3 on Android) is not....What if competitors follow this broken path, or fail to offer strong alternatives?...Could Apples multi-touch patents actually stifle growth of new, interactive displays?"

Okay, I can see some potential reason for concern for users who don't own a computer they can sync with the iPad. Of course, anyone who does can buy from any source. Certainly, my iPod contains tunes I bought from Amazon.com as well as the iTunes store and many other sources.

As for the multi-touch patents, I don't know enough about that to comment.

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, as I wrote earlier in this thread,

Pundits are labeling it the iPaid, the iBooked and the iFail.

Will anyone purchasing a Kindle for 299 Spring for the Apple?

I'm not the market for this thing. When eReaders are selling at $99 I'm in :)

I will never buy a Kindle at any price as long as Amazon retains the ability to retrieve any book it sells you without your say so.

Best,

Geoff

I still basically like the product. Is it a choice for computing "pros"? No, but it was never intended to be anything other that what it is currently being touted as.

I'm solidly with Kanker on this one. My fiance is also the perfect candidate for this device. Web browsing, email, photos, music, video, et al. She'll likely be one of the first in line when they become available.

I see a great deal of potential with this device and certainly later generations of this machine will likely convert many of the current naysayers.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Yeah, as I wrote earlier in this thread,

Pundits are labeling it the iPaid, the iBooked and the iFail.

Will anyone purchasing a Kindle for 299 Spring for the Apple?

I'm not the market for this thing. When eReaders are selling at $99 I'm in :)

I will never buy a Kindle at any price as long as Amazon retains the ability to retrieve any book it sells you without your say so.

Best,

Geoff

I KNEW it was somebody here who mentioned the Kindle fiasco before. I forgot it was you, Geoff. :blush:

To my knowledge, competing netbooks do not have built-in 3G functionality. As far as I can tell, neither does the $1795 HP Slate that you mentioned.

This month's Consumer Reports lists Verizon as selling Gateway and HP netbooks equipped with 3G connectivity as well as WiFi, and AT&T selling Acers and Lenovos. They subsidize the initial price but lock you into a two year contract, just like they do with a phone.

I would say that a $30 p/m unlimited dataplan without contract is probably the best deal currently available, but I have not done any kind of extensive research.

That's where Apple is really helping us all with the iPad, as well as Google when they begin to sell their unlocked phones sometime this spring. The shackles of ironclad contracts with carriers are being loosened for us consumers by these guys.

I'll pass on the iPad for now, but I do think it's a good deal if you're in the market for such a thing.

Aww - and I was thinking that you might be the first in the forum to grab one! :D

hi guys...Advice needed, please.

I've been thinking about a device to have lyrics, charts etc on screen instead of paper. I knew years ago there were dedicated slates to do this but they were around $1500 to $2000Aus

with this at around $600Aus how good would this be for said application when I have no need for it as an Internet thing at this stage.

Ie. can it be used as a stand alone storage device without any connection to the internet...

I cant see how to connect it to my existing computer as isnt it without usb? If so how would I download charts from my existing computer etc?

What similar sized tablets/slates are available that would do the same...are they easier to use to scroll up different charts or would this be a very simple interface..and more importantly is there a cheap tablet that would simply display my charts, perhaps it is a book reader that I can simply download my charts into.

Midi not necessarily needed on this one [just easy finger operation] although I know the dedicated music displaying slates use midi to change pages via midifiles.

Keeping in mind at this stage I would have no use for this as an internet communicator. Ie. all I need of a similar shaped object is a musical chart displayer.

Apple products here in Australia will become more readily available than may other such products, .

I like the idea of one tablet shaped item without a keyboard , notebooks onstage look so very bulky.

I have little knowledge of all this internet connectitivity that you bandy around and I dont really at this stage need to be wanting to be in constant fulltime need of checking the net..or being in constant contact with anyone or thing.

For example my partner has just introduced me into carrying a mobile phone without owning a landline...personally I hate having to be connected to the whole world in my private time...so presently my use for this device [apple] would be purely for what it could do for me as a musician onstage or practise.

Could this be the cheapest storage solution to a non paper chart/lyric holding device or do you know others?

Forgive my ignorance on the modern "apps" type big brother keeping intouch devices....hee hee..

maybe it could have for me a simpler use that is cheaper than the dedicated chart displayers.

Another option is the Freehand Musicpad which sells for around $800 US I believe. If you're looking purely for a display device and nothing else, that may be your best bet. The iPad can likely handle the job (I'm sure "there's an app for that"), but I don't know that you'd have the same functionality compared to a device focused solely on musical notation. It's too hard to really say, since the iPad is so new at this point. None of us have any insight into this thing beyond what we've read online.

As for the connectivity, the lack of input connectors like USB is a bummer, but I can imagine you can sync it to a computer a la the iPhone or Ipod touch.

with this at around $600Aus how good would this be for said application when I have no need for it as an Internet thing at this stage.

Ie. can it be used as a stand alone storage device without any connection to the internet...

I cant see how to connect it to my existing computer as isnt it without usb? If so how would I download charts from my existing computer etc?

maybe it could have for me a simpler use that is cheaper than the dedicated chart displayers.

Yeah, it would be great for what you're talking about. First, you could create lyric sheets and charts on it if need be, but you could also connect it to your computer via USB with the connector on the bottom edge of the iPad

Freehand MusicPad Pro ..thanks mate. I think that was the one available here, loved it, but was up around the $1500 to $2000 mark here in Ausse when I first checked it out,exactly what i was looking for but expensive,,,unfortunately anything sold thru retaiers here we must double American prices to get a rough price, not just the exchange rate...this is our dilema..hence the apple Ipad might be econoically viable.

but i will investigte the freehands current price here..

edit: ahhh more affordable now $1295 still a big price though,

when I need my own chord charts I write more than I need notation, I can type in my charts. So notation less needed than simple keypad.

edit 2: one just sold on ebay with stand and software etc for only $355...damn damn

Yeah, it would be great for what you're talking about. First, you could create lyric sheets and charts on it if need be, but you could also connect it to your computer via USB with the connector on the bottom edge of the iPad

No USB actually

I think there's a legit market for this beyond people finding excuses to become one for the sake of coolness (though that is certainly a factor).

Yeah I agree and I see where what I wrote in my last message didn't cover that as clearly as I had meant. What I was trying to get at is that when people want the product to work, they will find ways to make it work. So there will be a bunch of apps that actually fit the device and are useful, along with the more or less appropriate apps that will be devised under the three-legged dancing dog theorem. ("It isn't that he dances well, it's that he dances at all!")

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

No USB actually

The connector on the bottom of the iPad is the same or similar to the one on an iPod and will most certainly connect to your computer via USB.

Yeah, I think the main complaint is the it has no actual, traditional USB host ports of its own. What I really wonder about is whether you will be able to browse it as a connected drive from your host computer when it's connected. My gut says no, and that's one of the serious issues I have with my iPod Touch.

kanker - Although a number of apps that allow one to share docs from their iPhone/iPod Touch over wifi, I agree it sucks to have to do that when you're connected to your host computer by a f#@king cable, ferchrissakes! I suspect the iPad will have the same capabilities/limitations.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived