Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Apple Announcement

Joe Muscara

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny that, reading back I don't see anybody taking extreme positions?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Most of us are offering qualified opinions, like 'I don't see what use this has for me right now, but I've been wrong before and who knows.' That's hardly extreme in my book.

That's pretty much my take as well BTW, which I've already stated.

I was actually referring to what I've been reading all over the web - and not in this forum of thoughtful posters with measured responses. ;) Seriously - I wasn't trying to offend anyone. :)

I suppose I might be in the target group. I'm a desktop user who craves a little portability, but I don't want to pay laptop prices just to have a computer I can use anywhere in the house.

Best,

Geoff

What if you could run an updated version of the Pro Tools Controller app for iPhone on it?

That would be great -- especially if you could utilize the multitouch aspect of the iPad to control more than one fader at a time!

If so, this device could be a big hit with the DAW controller crowd.

The example below doesn't use multitouch, but it's a start:

http://gizmodo.com/332324/proremote-pro-tools-controller-may-be-coolest-iphone-app-ever-updated

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Maybe I wasn't expecting much, because this goes WAY beyond what I thought Apple would deliver.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm not going to become a consumer after thirty years of anti-consumerism.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I suppose I might be in the target group. I'm a desktop user who craves a little portability, but I don't want to pay laptop prices just to have a computer I can use anywhere in the house.

Best,

Geoff

What if you could run an updated version of the Pro Tools Controller app for iPhone on it?

That would be great -- especially if you could utilize the multitouch aspect of the iPad to control more than one fader at a time!

If so, this device could be a big hit with the DAW controller crowd.

The example below doesn't use multitouch, but it's a start:

http://gizmodo.com/332324/proremote-pro-tools-controller-may-be-coolest-iphone-app-ever-updated

Best,

Geoff

Ah, good point about the lack of multitouch on the Pro Remote app.

TouchOSC though claims full multitouch support. The site has a tutorial on configuring it to work with Logic Pro. The idea is to use MIDI messages from the iPhone to control Logic, but I'm not sure how applicable this tutorial is to Pro Tools and other DAWs (except Ableton Live - there is a seperate tutorial for that). http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

Is the device the next best thing since sliced bread? No. Is it a device that most computer users need? Yes. Most users use email, the web, and the internet, and not much more. For those who need power, it's obviously not the right solution. For the average person, it's all they need.

This is the proven market for Netbooks. I am looking to replace my aging Powerbook which is falling apart and only good for surfing the web. I might go with the iPad or a Netbook or low-end PC laptop. We keep it in the family room and just use if for surfing and other simple tasks. I wonder though if basic users don't use multitasking more than you think. Find something on Wiki, copy it, close the browser, open the iLife word processor, paste it, save, close the WP, open the browser, find something else, repeat.

The iPad isn't going to be competitive with the Kindle if they haven't done something to improve text readability. I have a Kindle and it's a joy to use it as a reader. If extended reading on the iPad is no better than reading on any other computer screen I don't see how it's going to succeed as an e-reader much less revolutionize how people access books and old print media.

I do think the larger screen is going to make many apps much more useful. I've pretty much given up on apps for my iPod Touch as the screen is just too damn small.

Busch.

Just curious Zephonic - how many wpm can you type on a touchscreen? I know that my speed is cut in half.
Read this, I think it's pretty accurate for others of us as well.

http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2010/01/18/input.php

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I like the idea of loading every piece of sheet music I'll ever need. A great gig tool -- and I can play games and check email when the sax player takes a l-o-n-g solo.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

I like the idea of loading every piece of sheet music I'll ever need. A great gig tool -- and I can play games and check email when the sax player takes a l-o-n-g solo.

I like that idea of loading sheet music into it. Either into this device, or some other similar device. The only problem with that is that many of the charts I use are multi-page. Sometimes 3, even 4, and on rare occasions, more than that. It would be good for 1 page charts though.

My next work computer will be a tablet PC. In my job, this is handy because when presenting to customers (I'm in technical sales), it will be easy to just spin the screen around and show it to somebody on the fly. However, we need full computing power for industrial Asset Management and Configuration applications, Office applications, etc.

This would not even come close to fulfilling those needs.

I guess I can see it positioned for the Netbook crowd if they want a better display, but it's pretty pricey for that application IMO. You can get netbooks for a few hundred bucks.

Seems like kind of a small niche of people willing to pay double the price of other netbooks for something that's bulkier with no keyboard and no other features, other than a nice display. It seems like they would have been better off going one way or another with it - more powereful, i.e. a "tablet" version of a macbook, or more compact/inexpensive.

But time will tell - it will be interesting to see how their sales are.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I like that idea of loading sheet music into it. Either into this device, or some other similar device. The only problem with that is that many of the charts I use are multi-page. Sometimes 3, even 4, and on rare occasions, more than that. It would be good for 1 page charts though.

I would think that it is easier to flip the page on an iPad than in a book.

Seems like kind of a small niche of people willing to pay double the price of other netbooks for something that's bulkier with no keyboard and no other features, other than a nice display.

Bulkier? :freak:

http://images.apple.com/ipad/specs/images/dimensions_20100127.jpg

weight: 1.5 lbs.

Bulkier? :freak:

Maybe BULKIER wasn't the best choice of words, but it's L x W dimensions are on the larger side of a lot of the netbooks out there. For instance, the Asus Eee PC 900SD-BLK009X Netbook is 6.7" x 9" closed... it's thicker (0.8"-1.3") and heavier (2.2lbs), but you also get a keyboard attached to your 9" screen, a webcam, and features more in line with a laptop, like multitasking, and it's only $250.

Also, if it's anything like the screens on the Macbook Pro or iPhone, I'd be scared to death to carry that thing around. I'd feel much better being able to "close" it to protect the screen. I'd imagine if that screen breaks, you're pretty much done for - time to buy a new one. My company was looking at going with the iPhones and batter life and the screen were the 2 main reasons they ultimately decided not to. I wonder if they'll come up with some sort of trendy "protector" to cover the screen.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Actually, I like to see all of the pages at once, or as many as humanly possible. The less flipping, the better, that's the point I was making.

Point taken.

Also, if it's anything like the screens on the Macbook Pro or iPhone, I'd be scared to death to carry that thing around. I wonder if they'll come up with some sort of trendy "protector" to cover the screen.

http://images.apple.com/ipad/specs/images/case_1_20100127.png

A Mono speaker!? please, it should have 4 speakers, one on each corner i mean that thing is great for watching movies, and sound comming only from one side of it ruins that "great screen experience" i like Mac stuff, im an iphone addict, former ipod lover (lost it :cry:) and im buying an Imac next month, but this thing still feels like a glorified browser enhanced ipod, sorry you're not getting my money just yet apple, lets see the 2nd or 3rd gen one and maybe then we'll talk

I don't think the iPad is quite there yet, but I have no doubt that it will be.

Apple may be holding out full functionality for now so as to not hurt Macbook sales, but if this thing is successful I would not be surprised to see more powerful models later on and -pehaps- the eventual phasing out of notebooks altogether.

(Then again I'm a big touch-screen fan, and the sooner the concept of navigating with a mouse/trackpad is universally regarded as "so '00s," the happier I'll be.)

I can't wait for that day! Be gone with pointing devices. Until telepathic computing arrives, I think touch is the way to go.

I totally agree. I don't think the iPad is quite where it should be however it is a much more logical move than the air. There are just some oversights I find inexcusable. Like no camera of any kind. I would personally have gone for two one in front and one in back so you can video chat. No support for flash is WTF. "Have the internet in your hands!"......kinda...almost....not all of it. I watch a lot of flash videos on a daily basis. And having no usb drive is absurd. Think of the kinds of apps people could develop with a usb interface available. Scanning devices... think Star Trek. Medical programs that can display graphics from scans that were too small to show on an iPhone.

I definitely think touch can phase out point and click. Just think you do your work, detach from your keyboard and go. Imagine a 30 inch touch system (obviously not portable) but it could be so powerful.

I do think there can be a market between a phone and a full power laptop and i think the ipad is the way to go but it needs some fine tuning.

1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

Actually, I like to see all of the pages at once, or as many as humanly possible. The less flipping, the better, that's the point I was making.

Okay point, but think of how much easier this is than sheets on a stand when performing. Instead of that delicate balance of hoping you don't turn too many pages at once or push it off the stand, tap or swipe and you're done.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Okay point, but think of how much easier this is than sheets on a stand when performing. Instead of that delicate balance of hoping you don't turn too many pages at once or push it off the stand, tap or swipe and you're done.

For many years there has been a music stand/video screen, run via MIDI, to display musical notes. I always wondered why they didn't make it in a two page wide version, personally. For some reason, these devices have made NO inroads into live performance. Don't know why. I expected to see them in pit orchestras years and years ago. These areas have had video monitoring and personal monitor mixes forever, so it is not a matter of money.

None the less, with all the things there are to think about when playing, the last thing that I personally want to worry about would be an additional layer of technology to fail on me. Moving from paper to a technically more complex solution seems to me like a serious over-complication of a simple process.

But then, I like reading paper books, too.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

How about two?

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20100127/book_open_tablet_270x179.jpg

iPad... is that for mac fanboys when they have their periods?

My female friend beat you to that joke by at least 4 hours.

MadTV beat her by a few years.

[video:youtube]

Busch.

That's the third time I've seen that posted.

Women immediately think of something different than men when they hear the word "pad". This has been true even before MadTV.

The short term is not the answer. Once the early adopters get in, and the apps start flowing and the bugs get ironed out, no doubt there will be a market for this if for no other reason than what I said earlier... because people want there to be one. Look at this thread, with guys trying to come up with useful solutions, having it do things less well that are already done by other tools, and using that as a good reson for the device to exist.

Oh, and about the earlier conversation about smart phones..... I know a number of business people who have been suing smart phones for a long time before the iPhone came out. And pretty much that market of heavy business users still seem addicted to the RIM/Blackberry line of products. I can tell you that among my crowd, in terms of specifically the iPhone, 9 out of 10 owners own it because they like to show it off, and the things that the do with it can be done with cheaper phones, but these guys like being cool. Roadies, guys who work at computers all day, guys trying to impress girls with how hep they are...

and the Rock'N'Roll GirlFriend is hinting around about the Eric Clapton Fender MyTouch, testing me to see if I want it. I do, but not because I have any use for it at all... it just looks cool.... (g)

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I have an iPod touch and a Blackberry Curve, and the iPod touch is WAY beyond the Blackberry. The Blackberry OS clearly feels like it WAS the best, but not anymore. Not by a long shot. I don't want an iPhone because it's "cool" or because I'm an "Apple fanboy" [i hate that term, BTW :rolleyes:] I want one because I know how well it works. I'm on my iPt all the time, and only use the BB for phone calls, texting, and when there is no WiFi around.

I can totally see the use of the iPad for some people. I think the target audience is people who use or want NetBooks but want something better. This avoids all that "cheap hardware" problem most NetBooks have with cheap keyboards, hinges and other parts (like motherboards???). If the iPad had come out a year ago, we probably would have gotten one for my wife for her web surfing and email checking needs, instead I got a new MacBook Pro and passed an older MacBook onto her.

Archived