Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: How long do you keep your manuals?

Synthoid

I've read numerous posts from people who bought a used keyboard... stating the manual was missing.

You would expect that with a vintage synth purchase, but not from a fairly new keyboard.

So how long do you keep your manuals? I've still got the one that came with my Ensoniq ESQ-1 from 1985...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive got a box box full of manuals for all the gear I own. As I sell items, the manual goes to the proud new owners.

It's called etiquette.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I've read numerous posts from people who bought a used keyboard... stating the manual was missing.

You would expect that with a vintage synth purchase, but not from a fairly new keyboard.

So how long do you keep your manuals? I've still got the one that came with my Ensoniq ESQ-1 from 1985...

while I memorize each manual, word for word, I keep them for 40 years next to my

stack of similar age keyboard magazines.

You simply cannot predict when these items will command $10,000 on eBay.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Save the planet, recycle your manuals!

I still got my Nord Lead 2 manual (i sold the Lead 1 year ago, but the new owner downloaded the manual...). It's PDF from now on

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I keep the manuals, and all paperwork that came with the purchase. I often keep boxes too, but that depends on the product and the condition of the box.

I sold my EPS 16+ not too long ago, as well as my VK-7, and they were astonished at the condition of the boards as well as all the stuff I had with it, including manuals and etc.

That said, I do keep PDFs on my computer for quick look up, spec info when comparing to new version online, etc.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

while I memorize each manual, word for word, I keep them for 40 years next to my

stack of similar age keyboard magazines.

You simply cannot predict when these items will command $10,000 on eBay.

:cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I think manuals are the number one justification for an eReader. A laptop is often too unwieldy to put next to your keyboard while you try to figure out how to access the LFO rate with a menu button and single slider.

"For instance" is not proof.

I keep my manuals as long as I keep the gear. I use the manuals too, and would quite often rather use the real thing than the online version. Sometimes online is better (like with the behemoth Logic 8 manual), but I find that more often than not the hard copy is better (looking up MSB LSB numbers for instance). If you're using your computer to do something, then you don't have to waste screen real estate with an open PDF. And like Zeronyne said, you can't just plop the laptop down anywhere.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I keep mine until I get rid of the gear (or forever, whichever comes first). I also keep original box, packing materials and other goodies, as it makes it easier to sell should you want to.
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I keep my manuals as long as I keep the gear. I use the manuals too, and would quite often rather use the real thing than the online version. Sometimes online is better (like with the behemoth Logic 8 manual), but I find that more often than not the hard copy is better (looking up MSB LSB numbers for instance). If you're using your computer to do something, then you don't have to waste screen real estate with an open PDF. And like Zeronyne said, you can't just plop the laptop down anywhere.
When I want to *read* a manual, printed is better. OTOH, for a quick reference, the PDF is better for me. Type in the term in a search and boom, I'm there. Find the command or function I need, and move on.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I keep all my manuals until I have thoroughly read them and understand everything there is to know about the product - soup to nuts.

In other words, I keep 'em forever. :facepalm:

...and the boxes they came in.

In fact, I often keep the advertisements from the pages of Keyboard Mag - just to remind me that I wasn't totally crazy to buy the product in the first place. i.e. Alesis 3630 compressor AND Alesis DataDisk. :sick:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

In other words, I keep 'em forever. :facepalm:

...and the boxes they came in.

I have the manuals but no more room for boxes...

you should always keep the packing boxes, esp. for 88 keyboards

first of all, if you have a fight with the wife/girlfriend, that huge carton can double

as a sleeping box.

if you are tight on space, due to saving everything, you can break down the keyboard boxes, and lay them on the garage floor. I have a large carpet remnant

over the flattened keyboard boxes.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I hate PDF's, but like to have them in addition to printed manuals due to the easier search mechanism. PDF's are extremely slow to scroll, especially when you can't see a whole page at once due to the need to zoom for legibility.

Faster computers and larger monitors obviate both of these problems, but don't change the fact that we have ten fingers and can quickly cross-reference printed manuals and skim them, whereas only directed searches are really very convenient with electronic manuals.

I keep manuals forever. Why not? It boggles my mind how many people sell stuff on eBay without the manual. When stuff is stolen, I hold onto the manuals for a couple of years in case the gear shows up. Then I either sell the manual or give it away to someone who needs it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

When stuff is stolen, I hold onto the manuals for a couple of years in case the gear shows up. Then I either sell the manual or give it away to someone who needs it.

Wow. That sentence makes me think that you get ripped off a LOT.

Say it's not so.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I don't sell anything ... I collect things. I have all the hardcopy manuals I've received with a piece of gear.

I actually find it easier to just grab the manual off the shelf when needed, as opposed to trying to navigate through a PDF file.

Very often I print out the chapters of a manuel that I use most frequently.

Live: Roland Jupiter 50, Korg M50

Studio: Axiom 61, Fantom XR, Micro Q, Juno D, Juno 1, D10, D110, TZ81z, TG55, Proteus One, Matrix 6R + an array of soft synths.

WWW.UMBRAMUSIC.COM

I also like the paper manuals better than PDF. It is much quicker to "scroll" through, is portable and you can sit on the couch while reading, if desired.

It is so slow to scroll around while on a computer when you can jump around with a real manual in hand. Someday others will discover this! Why make life so difficult?

I actually told a guy this. He was a complete computer geek. I told him there was a new unit available, better than a Kindle, which would give you instant portability, almost indestructible, and never need recharging. He asked what it was.......so I told him they call it a ... book.

Archived