Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: How long do you keep your manuals?

Synthoid

I don't keep computer manuals but I do hang onto music gear manuals. I used to hang onto catalogs but those weren't worth much, although I did keep a few that had gadgets no one else sold (when was the last time you saw a Marshall Time Modulator in a music gear catalog...?!?)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I keep my manuals 73 keys long. 12 for presets, 61 for playing.

How did I know you'd steal my reply. :)

I'm still searching for an SY99 manual. Not that I need it, but I just want it to go with my SY99. I do, however, need a JD-990 manual. That thing is hard to program and I enjoy sitting down and reading print and paper rather than staring at at screen.

Typically until I sell the gear.....

Ditto. If I buy a piece of gear without a manual I download one and print at least one copy, double-sided, that goes with the gear when it's sold.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

After many purchases of used gear over the years, I have noticed a pattern: gear without manuals is usually in not so good shape. In fact I would say this is a dominant pattern. I have concluded that those don't save the manual are also likely to not take good care of their gear.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

After many purchases of used gear over the years, I have noticed a pattern: gear without manuals is usually in not so good shape. In fact I would say this is a dominant pattern. I have concluded that those don't save the manual are also likely to not take good care of their gear.

The ones with an ad that reads, "Has a few broken keys."

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Until a few years ago I kept all of my manuals forever. Then when I was cleaning out the four file cabinets full of manuals and sales promo, I found that Rick Chinn of uneeda-audio was keeping an archives, so I sent a bunch off to him. Over the years I run into people who are trying to keep the information available, and if I don't need a manual I'll pass it along to them.

But I still have a 1960s Kustom price sheet, and a Vox poster: Beatles on one side, the complete Vox line of instruments and amps on the other, and a handful of drum manuals from Zildjian and others from that same time period.

Oh, and I have the original product release sheet for this pioece of gear, which we ALL need!

http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/pi14rev.pdf

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I dont even take any stickers off my new gear. Especially the clear display protector stickers if at all possible.
Me neither. This has the added bonus of driving my wife crazy. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Oh, and I have the original product release sheet for this pioece of gear, which we ALL need!

Reminds me of this one:

Crown Belchfire Series BF-6000 SUX

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Reminds me of this one:

Crown Belchfire Series BF-6000 SUX

Thanks I had not seen that one. The PI14 original data sheet is a howl, with smiley-face connectors and such, and I'm sure that it is on the Rane site somewhere. But when we got it at CBI, it was in the usual package of Rane data sheets for the gear that the Sound and Light Division sold. I happened to be there and looking over the sheets and said,"hey....." I guess that they did it that way to see who would respond.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

These things come with manuals?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

cannot take pdf to bath tube...

Sure you can iPhone - Droid etc. . .

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Archived