Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paul Shaffer's Letterman Rig

Tonysounds

I didn't notice that anyone posted about this, but Keyboard did a great video interview series with Paul, specifically about his keyboard rig. Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/y8n69l2

I love that he has pieces because of "this sound" and this piece because it does "that sound"...a couple nice Kurzweil relics up there along with the JD990.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL... sounds like Paul was trying to pick up SF:

Paul: "I've got James Brown's B3... you should come and see it."

SF: "Where is it?"

Paul: "In my apartment... in Manhattan..."

;)

Great interview, Stephen, but can I suggest we take up a donation here on the forum to buy Keyboard a video camera that picks up the interviewees voice at an equal (or greater) level to the interviewer? :(

Yeah, I was surprised no one posted about this.

Great interview. I love that he still gets off on the original sampled sax sound from the K250. Proof once again that you don't always need the latest and greatest.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Great interview, Stephen, but can I suggest we take up a donation here on the forum to buy Keyboard a video camera that picks up the interviewees voice at an equal (or greater) level to the interviewer? :(

One would think that Keyboard would have manipulated the audio in a studio so that the interviewer's voice and the interviewee's voice would be the same volume. Go figure?? But thank you for making the interview available. It's really interesting.

One would think that Keyboard would have manipulated the audio in a studio so that the interviewer's voice and the interviewee's voice would be the same volume. Go figure?? But thank you for making the interview available. It's really interesting.

There is a easy way to do this... Either put a Lav mic on the interviewee / talent or have a guy with a mic on a boom pole. Run either mic directly into the camera. The latter requires an extra mouth to feed, but the Lav mic can be had fairly cheap.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

+1. This was my complaint about the otherwise excellent Benmont Tench interview.

I love that he still gets off on the original sampled sax sound from the K250. Proof once again that you don't always need the latest and greatest.

Something we all need to be reminded of.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

LOL I was thinking that or the low before the up for the next show

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Is it just me, or does PS have a real good buzz going ?

I was thinking some baileys in that coffee too. But hey, its rock and roll!!!

He's come a long from "kick my ass" i guess.. lol

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Here is his road rig. The K250 was there in rehearsals but was removed before the show.

Hey Cygnus, what gig was that for, and where? Just curious to see/hear what he's doing outside of TV and his book.

It was for the 2009 rock hall inductions in Cleveland. I played (violin) in the band with Paul and the CBS Orchestra, I took that pic from my cell phone. I was very impressed with Paul and his professionalism, things were well-rehearsed and sounded very good. On top of that, I got the impression that he was probably a genuinely good guy. :thu:

It was for the 2009 rock hall inductions in Cleveland. I played (violin) in the band with Paul and the CBS Orchestra, I took that pic from my cell phone. I was very impressed with Paul and his professionalism, things were well-rehearsed and sounded very good. On top of that, I got the impression that he was probably a genuinely good guy. :thu:

Very cool, thanks... and of course he's a good guy, he's Canadian! ;):thu:

Hi all,

That was Jon Regen on the videos, though I did recently meet Paul at a Letterman taping in NYC. Jon, I think, used his Flip HD Cam, which is less than ideal for audio. We're working on getting him something better, as he's simply a machine about getting access to top players. Jon also does tend to talk a bit louder than the artists sometimes--he's a true New Yorker.

I'll be using a Zoom Q3 at NAMM, a Flip-like camera that has good X-Y mics on it. We'll see how they do in the noisy trade show environment.

Sven, I'll have to let Jon speak to your comment. ;)

We've got a feature on Paul in March, and his Letterman rig is the "Geek Out" back page.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

It doesn't sound like SF's voice, though.

I thought so. Can't believe nobody else picked up on that!

For real! SF's voice is as unmistakable as it gets.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Archived