Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Check out this keyboard stand!

bachsteady

I've been seeing more of these type of stands lately on television. Keyboardists playing with the keyboard inverted towards the audience so that you could see the keyboard ( I guess). Seems like it would be uncomfortable to play like this, but what do I know. Anybody use one?

Browse through all the photos you get a better shots.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/3526300068_0c0ce7fbbf.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gibraltarhardware/3526300068/&usg=__4IybhQ7Mn_Rh-xi_Atk5BgbdR8c=&h=500&w=375&sz=204&hl=en&start=20&sig2=aO2XT_WZaFxDXyjw44nZnw&um=1&tbnid=4Q6AERyMuNLEQM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgibraltar%2Bstand%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3D0nP%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=wSscS6a_J4PYtAP64Yz3Bw

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pics didn't come up for me, but I think I know what you mean. I like to stand up when playing, and, when using one board only, I play with it on a top rack because it simply keeps the correct wrist angle.

I put an X stand on lowest setting, put a universal top rack extension on it and basically turn it around backwards from intended use.

When I use 2 boards I use a Spider Pro stand. It is a great stand, lightweight, solid, and folds up quickly, plus the upper rack is tilted back a bit for better angle.

I normally play sitting down but I've had some luck putting my upper board on the stand backwards so it's tilted forward when I play standing up on the other side of the stand.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

It's tilted so you could show off all the wanking going on.

Those custom Gibraltar stands are nice, in terms of construction and design. I just would design mine to be more traditional in setup (ie no backward tilt, I'm not pretentious enough to think the audience is that interested in seeing my hands, nor my crotch!)

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Here's the gilbraltar promotion on him... notice the sand bags for support... dumb

Yeah I noticed the sandbags as well. What the hell is the point of designing a stand if you need extra accessories just to stabilize it?

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

You would think a hardware company would understand the "center of mass" or "center of gravity" concept, otherwise the stand would have accommodated for this. But hey, they're a drum hardware outfit... nuff said.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Spend the money on lessons instead. Why all this focus on "looking cool"? You're playing KEYBOARDS for God's sake. Your job is to cement the harmonic structure of the band.. the guitarist's job is to look cool. Get with the program!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Spend the money on lessons instead. Why all this focus on "looking cool"? You're playing KEYBOARDS for God's sake. Your job is to cement the harmonic structure of the band.. the guitarist's job is to look cool. Get with the program!

well, im with you on this one, thou it looks like hair is way higher priority than lessons, anyway the stand does not look that cool or sturdy, notice the weights underneath the keyboard so that it doesen't fall foward, and it is a weighted keyboard, so tilting it does affect playability.

so if you're doing the tilting thing one should go all the way with something really nuts, a rig that speaks for itself, and have the skills to back it up like Derek

http://www.xplanetx.com/images/gallery/mbna-cleveland/derek02.jpg

if not, get a keytar

Yeah, Derek Sherinian was the Geek Out feature in the magazine a few months ago. I'm too lazy to go see which issue and a quick Google didn't get anything very good. So yeah, he tilted the keyboards quite far, farther than the first link and painted the non-Nords red. Kind of ridiculous, but he was touring with Billy Idol, so he probably had some sort of image criteria...

Yeah, Derek Sherinian was the Geek Out feature in the magazine a few months ago. I'm too lazy to go see which issue and a quick Google didn't get anything very good. So yeah, he tilted the keyboards quite far, farther than the first link and painted the non-Nords red. Kind of ridiculous, but he was touring with Billy Idol, so he probably had some sort of image criteria...

STILL A WANKER!!!!!

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

Yea they are Gibraltar stands, I wonder how much one of those guys would cost you?

Pretty expensive.

I looked into it once, and the major problem comes from the fact that - since Gibraltar isn't made to accommodate keyboards - you have to do a lot of customization.

That means designing it yourself, which isn't as easy as it might seem. You'd need to get one of those specific tools needed to cut the metal tubes, buy the longest tubing dimensions you can, and a lot of different kinds (and qtys) of clamps, joints, etc. Music stores only carry common parts, sometime some "pre-fab" rack systems, but it's rare (at best) that you can run into one for an obscure joint or tube; thus most of what you'll need will come from special orders. (Ask your drummer how the local music store's drum guys excel at small parts special orders ...)

Add to all that the problem of tilting. Keyboard stands have these neat rubber-covered dealios on the arms to hold a tilted 'board in place, but Gibraltar doesn't have those things. You'd have to substitute one of their clamps, but most are unsuitable, as the front chassis of most keyboards aren't square, and the clamps don't have plastic or rubber covering, exposing your axe to dents, chips, scratches, and such. You might be able to adapt another company's "cradle", but that's just more money.

And they're not collapsible, either. You have to disassemble almost the whole thing every time you want to move it, and uglify it with markers reminding you how to reassemble it.

And they're ruttin' heavy.

The customization potential seems pretty cool, but when you get down to brass tacks, using Gibraltar parts for keyboard stands isn't very practical, and it's definitely not cheap.

That said, I do think David Paich's (Toto) setup is neatorama (embiggened version) ...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj108/jason_stanfield/220px-David_Paich_behind_his_keyboa.jpg

This is photo the OP started this thread about.

backsteady, when you want to post a photo, switch to Full Reply Screen, click on the icon that is a photo holder and jump through the hoops. Spend a minute and you'll figure this out. [end of public service message]

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/3526300068_0c0ce7fbbf.jpg

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

It was the August '09 issue. I know because I just finished reading that one last week.

The stupid thing is he talks about finding it more ergonomic. But if you look at the pics of him playing, his wrists aren't straight. I wonder if he loses any mechanical advantage by having his forearms so low vs. the normal horizontal position (maybe not, but it would be interesting to know). Finally, if you watch a video of him playing, you'll see him lean forward over the keyboard to see where he is. Where's the advantage to that?

I try to play my best every gig I do, and I often get good feedback from people I talk to afterwards. I don't need nor want any tricks or schtick to "look cool." If my *music* isn't saying all I'm trying to say, then I'm doing something wrong.

That said, do what makes *you* happy. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

As a member of the reverse tilt club, I can guarantee you it's done for wrist angle reasons. My cool factor is almost nothing.

One bad thing is that you can't lay anything on top the keyboard, as I like to do with reading glasses, for those times on the dark stage when I just have to see something in focus. I told you I wasn't cool! : ) : )

As a member of the reverse tilt club, I can guarantee you it's done for wrist angle reasons. My cool factor is almost nothing.

One bad thing is that you can't lay anything on top the keyboard, as I like to do with reading glasses, for those times on the dark stage when I just have to see something in focus. I told you I wasn't cool! : ) : )

Do like me and hang your glasses around your neck with a strap.....Now That's Cool! :thu:

I used to set up a big A frame 3 tiered rig. The bottom was an MKB-300 controller which I tilted upward, a Chroma in the middle that was flat, and a ESQ-1 on top tilted downwards. It was all about getting the keys close to each other and at the correct playing angle.

Moe

---

I need a stand that goes the opposite way, so I can bring a recliner on stage and really relax while I'm playing.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived