Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz album recommendations: Piano accompaniment

loxley11

Hi all,

Don't know why, but I've found that I really enjoy playing jazz in a quartet setting consisting of a piano/bass/drums rhythm section backing either a singer or saxophonist (also that seems a very manageable and still marketable arrangement for live gigging)

Can anyone recommend any recordings featuring this setup, which feature particularly noteworthy piano accompaniment? Jazz recordings are usually good about listing personnel, except for some reason, when you go into vocalist territory. Then no one seems to care if it's a big band, small band, or just a piano backing up the singer; everything seems to be irrelevant beyond the singer her/himself. I've had a hard time finding albums where I was able to determine this (without listening to it before buying it)

I'm looking for a piano accompanist who truly acts as an accompanist, contributing to the soloist in just the right way. I'm sure many of you know, if not already own, such albums. Everything I own has the pianist as frontman.

Thanks for your help,

loxley11

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've recommended many times "Relaxing at Camarillo" by Joe Henderson. Chick Corea does some wonderful comping.

Of course Tommy Flanagan (then Hank Jones) backing Ella Fitzgerald.

Also, I would listen to the many young pianists who accompained Betty Carter thru the last period of his career: Mulgrew Miller, Cyrus Chestnut, Benny Green...

For "cross-comping" (interplay) of the higher class, Bill Evans and Jim Hall are an example of pure telepathy. :) As is the Miles Davis quintet of the '60s. (E.S.P...!!) :D

Although some of these configs may not fit exactly what you've asked for, I've learned an enormous amount in my pursuit to become a better comper from:

Bill Evans on Oliver Nelson's "The Blues and the Abstract Truth",

Don Grolnick on Steps' live "Smokin' at the Pit"

McCoy Tyner on Wayne Shorter's "Juju"

Chick's comping on RTF's "Light as a Feather"

Mark Hamilton on Earthwork's live "Footloose and Fancy Free"

Lyle Mays on the Pat Metheny Group's lesser-known "Quartet"

My principal instrument is the sax, so I'll respond from that point of view. I would dream of playing in a jazz quartet where the piano player was either Bill Evans or McCoy Tyner. The Miles Davis album "Kind of Blue" will give you a large dose of Bill Evans, with one song played by Tyner (oops - it was Wynton Kelly - see below). The John Coltrane album "My Favorite Things" is a McCoy Tyner tour de force. Most people talk about Coltrane's sax playing on this album, but I think McCoy Tyner's piano playing is the real highlight on the first two songs of this album.

edit: I originally wrote that Tyner played one song on KOB (this was corrected in next post). How in the world did I get that wrong!?

You're referring to Wynton Kelly, who played on Freddie Freeloader on KoB (Evans handling the balance of piano work), providing an iconic solo that many of us have had to transcribe. Wynton's comp work on Miles' Someday My Prince Will Come is also great work.

Wynton's comp work on Miles' Someday My Prince Will Come is also great work.

+ 1,000,000

Required listening, doesn't get any better.

Check out Wynton Kelley on MD's "Saturday Night at the Blackhawk". His intro to "Bye Bye Blackbird" is a classic and still played by most people today.

Also Herbie Hancock soloing (obviously) and comping on Wayne Shorter's "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum"

"John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman": the greatest jazz vocal album ever. I rarely make a statement like that, but the music will support me. McCoy is sublime. If there's a better reading of "Lush Life", I have yet to hear it. The rendition of "My One and Only Love" was my wedding song.

"John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman": the greatest jazz vocal album ever. I rarely make a statement like that, but the music will support me. McCoy is sublime. If there's a better reading of "Lush Life", I have yet to hear it. The rendition of "My One and Only Love" was my wedding song.
I have to admit, I hate that record. I think that's the general consensus - you either love it or hate it. My take, Johnny Hartman is an incredibly bland singer on a good day. Lots of other folks think he's brilliant.

You can't get any better than Ralph Sharon for vocal accomp. For horns, just about everyone who played behind Miles.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I have to admit, I hate that record. I think that's the general consensus - you either love it or hate it. My take, Johnny Hartman is an incredibly bland singer on a good day. Lots of other folks think he's brilliant.

Really K ? Man, I love that record and JH's voice. While I agree with Mark on Lush Life, the changes they play on there, especially at the end I'm not crazy about. The overall vibe is beautiful to me though.

On the other hand they play the main three songs from record (LL, One & Only Love, Dedicated to you) to death out here on the KLON/KJAZZ Long Beach. It's like when I hear "All Blues" --yes, let's educate the less informed about jazz but please I've heard this almost has many times has I've heard "Abbey Road"....and that's a LOT!

Really K ? Man, I love that record and JH's voice. While I agree with Mark on Lush Life, the changes they play on there, especially at the end I'm not crazy about. The overall vibe is beautiful to me though.
To my ears, it's a painfully bad pairing - he's not really a jazz singer, much more of a pop singer, paired with the heaviest jazz band of the day. It just sounds like oil and water to me.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

+1000 on Wynton Kelly

You guys already named so many of my favorite jazz records - and yes I am a card carrying member of the Freddie the Freeloader transcription club. His work on Soul Station another classic record. Also guilty as charged for playing the intro to Bye Bye Blackbird on many gigs.

Bill Evans w Tony Bennet

Oscar Peterson meets Benny Carter

Chick on Captain Marvel

Wynton Kelly

Herbie Hancock

Red Garland

Bill Evans

(The guys Miles picked)

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

To my ears, it's a painfully bad pairing - he's not really a jazz singer, much more of a pop singer, paired with the heaviest jazz band of the day. It just sounds like oil and water to me.

+1,000

Well said, Kevin.

I've recommended many times "Relaxing at Camarillo" by Joe Henderson. Chick Corea does some wonderful comping.

Of course Tommy Flanagan (then Hank Jones) backing Ella Fitzgerald.

Also, I would listen to the many young pianists who accompained Betty Carter thru the last period of his career: Mulgrew Miller, Cyrus Chestnut, Benny Green...

For "cross-comping" (interplay) of the higher class, Bill Evans and Jim Hall are an example of pure telepathy. :) As is the Miles Davis quintet of the '60s. (E.S.P...!!) :D

Marino,

Are Tommy Flanagan and Hank Jones specifically mentioned on the album or does one just look for certain titles? I've always loved Hank Jones' trio work.

P.S. did you mean Betty Carter or Benny Carter? :crazy:

thanks again,

loxley11

-Mike Tyson

He meant Benny Carter.

Man,+1 for Wynton Kelly on Soul Station and Roll Call. And also for Shirley Horn.

And Paul Smith....

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Are Tommy Flanagan and Hank Jones specifically mentioned on the album or does one just look for certain titles? I've always loved Hank Jones' trio work.

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but in practice, *any* Ella album with either Flanagan or Jones on the piano will give you a crash course in swing comping. :)

You might start with the famous "Live at Montreux" with Tommy.

P.S. did you mean Betty Carter or Benny Carter? :crazy:

Betty Carter, the great singer.

Along with all the great examples of famous 'sidemen' given here, for jazz vocalist accompaniment, check out the pianists who played with Carmen McRae on her old albums. Since she was also a good piano player herself, she always had excellent players with her. She was also a stylist with more emphasis on strong phrasing (less scatting), which drew out the best in her players.

By strange coincidence, a couple of her pianists have been lifelong friends of mine. Check out recordings when Tom Garvin was her musical director. His restrained and confident approach further refined and distilled the role of accompanist, to get the most out of a song with the least notes.

Ralph Sharon was a solid, excellent, stalwart player for Tony Bennett, but Lee Musiker has been another top accompanist for Bennett too.

About the Johnny Hartman/Coltrane album, I know what kanker's saying - Hartman was more of a balladeer than a jazz singer. But I think Hartman was a wonderful, rich voiced singer with or without the jazz label, and his straight singing on that album helped make it a classic.

I've always respected and been fascinated by the accompanists' role. There's an art to it, and you can learn a lot from observing it. Even though I've backed some good singers, accompanying is not often on my agenda these days. But depending on the musicality of the singer, the approach should be similar to comping with any other good musician.

While not exactly a hard core jazzer Ellis Larkins was to me the epitome of what piano accompaniment should be. Check him out with Ella on the Gershwin songbook.

And, of course, Hank Jones on anything.

Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

I've always respected and been fascinated by the accompanists' role. There's an art to it, and you can learn a lot from observing it. Even though I've backed some good singers, accompanying is not often on my agenda these days. But depending on the musicality of the singer, the approach should be similar to comping with any other good musician.

I dunno, I just feel like there's something about a singer as opposed to an instrumentalist that makes accompanists play more conservatively, more smoothly, and less outside the changes. Perhaps that's just because singers are less associated with hard bop and "free" styles, but I think that smoothness is what attracted me to vocal accompaniment in the first place. Though I do love Dave McKenna's work on "Double play" and "No bass hit." He has that same restraint I like.

Not to rag on you, SK, those are some great suggestions you gave, and I hope I don't get in trouble listening to them on itunes here in my office!

regards,

loxley11

-Mike Tyson

Great thread...I find that, now that u mention it, I do play a bit more conservative when backing a female vocal, unless of course she does a Flora Purim or really starts taking it out..big difference to that than when Im playing w/a hardcore tenor/hornplayer. Good read though.

Archived