Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz album recommendations: Piano accompaniment

loxley11

I just feel like there's something about a singer as opposed to an instrumentalist that makes accompanists play more conservatively, more smoothly, and less outside the changes.

Certainly in most cases you're right, but it all depends on the singer. If I hadn't had some rare experiences with singers who encouraged the same creativity as an instrumentalist, I'd completely agree with you.

I'm just looking at it from a music standpoint, which is the only interest I have here; not what the role itself 'should' be. The advantage of accompanying conservatively is it gives the pianist a chance to distill and strengthen his playing. But you make musical concessions and adjust your playing appropriately to each situation/every musician anyway, and it's no different with a singer. Those rare, best singers are also equal musicians. The rest, well... you adjust down to it.

I'd comp like I would with a horn player, as though the singer were my right hand so to speak. Comping should be supportive, but there can be plenty of interaction with lines, fills, etc., if the singer has the ear for it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived