Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Green Onions

Jim Alfredson

I'm glad I got the chance to see the vid before you pulled it, excellent stuff! Tasteful playing, awesome pocket (I really dig your rhythm section), and the XK-3 sounds absolutely perfect.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B3Nut has it exactly right in my book. XK3 topped with an Electro2 gets the job done well and the organ on the Nord is good enough that it can be the second manual for those times when you just have to do some two fisted playing. I'm going to try B3er's notion of taking the hi-foldback down a bit. I haven't

gotten into tweaking the individual tonewheels because with the overall B3 type set on "noisy" I get a sound I like sometimes even more than my '59 C3 (and I love that sound)

Hopefully the YouTube link will be working again today; I'm waiting to hear from the show's producer.

In the meantime, it is still up on my facebook account:

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/readmessage.php?t=1218622705645&f=1&e=0#/video/video.php?v=1130003727715

:)

I had to have back surgery in Dec. 2007 from hauling that B3 and I needed something lighter or else I was going to wind up crippled.

Wow is that what I have to look forward to?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

So by default the XK-3 tops out on the 1' higher than the next-to-topmost F# like the B-3 does before dropping back? I know they advertise it as having "96 digital tone wheels", which would allow them to push the foldback up to where the H-100 had it if desired. Interesting...

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Hey Jim - if it's possible, I may slap my XK-3c in your system on that gig we're doing up in Flint when I play with Tad. In other words, don't put too much shit on your organ

No problem!

I'm bummed... still haven't gotten the okay from the shows producer to put the video back up on YouTube. It was getting some nice comments and views. Hopefully we can resolve this.

OK.

Just now joining the party.

A cup of coffee and B3-er playing Green Onions to start the day.

Yeah.

Nice... very nice. :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It seems like everyone who sees this is completely blown away. Booker T (who is on FB) should see it too!

Isn't it nice to see a version of this song where no one goes, "you're playing it wrong"? :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Jim, great job on a classic... I was impressed with your guitar player as well. He caught the subtleties in the groove, played a sweet lead.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Hey thanks, Jim! Really enjoyed your performance! Copped a couple of licks in the process! Thanks for the alternate links as well!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Awesome, just awesome!

Thanks!

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

Hey now, Greg is a dear friend and a very good guitarist (not to mention songwriter and producer). He took a very short solo in order to let the song be a showcase for me. He also pushed me to put the video up to strut my stuff.

I know you were being complementary, but no need to diss someone in order to elevate someone else.

Hey now, Greg is a dear friend and a very good guitarist (not to mention songwriter and producer). He took a very short solo in order to let the song be a showcase for me. He also pushed me to put the video up to strut my stuff.

I know you were being complementary, but no need to diss someone in order to elevate someone else.

OK, maybe "let the talented guy go at it" was a bit strong, but his solo there was ROUGH. I'm not trying to bag on the guy, I'm just saying...

I loved the guitar solo. Thought it was great. I am not a guitar player, but I am a musician, and that solo was musical. I personally like the looseness of the timing, and found his use of briefly playing 'outside' very tasteful.

I also really thought the guitar players playing behind Jim's Solo was great. He was certainly listening, and changing things up to compliment the building of the tune,

I thought the whole tune was excellent, the groove was super solid, not too fast, and the playing by everyone was first rate.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Greg is a great player. His solo album (produced by B3-er) is excellent and is getting great reviews everywhere.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived