Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Green Onions

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could hear some of the music you guys post. :cry: But my computer has K9 installed on it so I can't look at naked women, and no YOUTUBE either. It sucks.

Mike

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

encore encore!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

AWESOME!!!!

Also kind of made me think about the recent thread about stepping on the bass player.... proof that they can coexist!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Talk about Root Down! Man, did that grab my soul! Brought me 'way back...Thank you, B3man.

Tried an XK-3. Didn't connect...not like my old Hammonds.

Thought I could get it done with a "red one". Got to give an XK-3c a second look.

Got to re-connect! Yes, it's the driver, not the car. But used to drive the car. A lot of us used to drive the car. A lot of us still "drive", and we want the car to be the real thing. So much for the "clonewheel = sub-par" argument. How do you get it to sound like that?? (I gave up in frustration and sent it back.)

Reminds me of that restaurant scene in "Sleepless In Seattle" where the old lady says "I'll have whatever she's having."

Edit: B3-er, not B3man. (A thousand pardons, please.)

Man- that's tone you can eat with a knife and fork! Listen to (what I guess is) crosstalk and Leslie woosh in the solo outro (headphones recommended).
"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Yep Jim, I think you may have convinced a few cats to leave their B3 at home and cop an XK.

Hammond owes you a pair of shoes or something. :laugh:

Great job mayne. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Talk about Root Down! Man, did that grab my soul! Brought me 'way back...Thank you, B3man.

Tried an XK-3. Didn't connect...not like my old Hammonds.

Thought I could get it done with a "red one". Got to give an XK-3c a second look.

Got to re-connect! Yes, it's the driver, not the car. But used to drive the car. A lot of us used to drive the car. A lot of us still "drive", and we want the car to be the real thing. So much for the "clonewheel = sub-par" argument. How do you get it to sound like that?? (I gave up in frustration and sent it back.)

Reminds me of that restaurant scene in "Sleepless In Seattle" where the old lady says "I'll have whatever she's having."

Thank you! I'm using the XK3, not the XK3c. The XK3c by all accounts is better than the XK3. So if the XK3 can sound that good...

I did a lot of tweaking on mine, side by side with my 1958 B3. I've sent my custom tonewheel set file to people all over the world for free. The XK3 needs a bit of work to make it sound good out of the box. And it needs a real Leslie. I'm using the 3300.

The XK3c supposedly has a better Leslie sim, but I'm not a fan of any Leslie sim.

And I know what you mean about driving the car. I hauled around my '58 B3 for almost 10 years because nothing came close to replacing it. The first time I played the XK3, I didn't like it, though I really wanted to. I had to have back surgery in Dec. 2007 from hauling that B3 and I needed something lighter or else I was going to wind up crippled.

But I just didn't connect with the XK3 / XK System at first. I left the store disappointed. I came back the next day to try again. Once the salesperson plugged the XK3 into a real tube Leslie (at my request) I was hooked. I played it for almost a year without tweaking it very much. The honeymoon wore off after a few months, little things started bugging me... but I still played it because I physically could not haul a B3 around.

I started to get weary of the tone and finally decided to take an afternoon and really dig into the system menus. Once I started comparing it with my '58 B3 (both organs under headphons, no Leslie, no EQ, no effects), I realized that the problem with the XK3 out of the box is two-fold:

1) The upper foldback is set too high

2) It's too perfect

Once I finished tweaking it to match my B3 as closely as possible, I fell in love again. I remember the first gig with organissimo afterwards; even my bandmates noticed the change. The XK3 suddenly had character and "imperfections".

Getting the 3300 was the final piece of the puzzle. It is so tight and defined and can be clean as spring water or as dirty as the Mississippi, if that's what you want. I love the rig and in general prefer it to a real B3 now due to it's flexibility and tone.

This is not to discount all the other options out there, but for me it's the perfect rig. Real drawbars, two manuals, pedals that feel really great, tweakability, half-moon switch, killer Leslie with big balls, and a real classic look.

BTW, I had to take the video down for the moment while some legal things are worked out, but it's still on my facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1155887770&ref=name

Look for "videos" at the lower left.

Thanks to everyone for the commments!

Enjoy! :)

I'm glad I did when I did. I just tried to do that again and got "This video is private."

:(

I have the same problem... :(

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Among other things, it's making a used XK-3 look pretty attractive, since I've seen them for around $1200-$1400 used. That's within the realm of doability with some scraping...I always use a real Leslie so the weaker sim isn't an issue. Plop my trusty Electro 2 on top for wurly and clav...that would be the berries, methinks...

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Archived