Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, just some mindlessness there, not intended as a taunt. And how do you taunt with a musical quote? "Haunt" maybe? :)

Hey Dave. Welcome back.

An alternative latin to Black Orpheus, here's "The Dolphin". Not completely a reharm, but a different flavor from the way Bill Evans did it. A strange little groove. Sorry about the sound quality -the noise at the start goes away after several seconds.

http://www.divshare.com/download/2366733-609

Here's a reharm chart of the bridge to The Girl From Ipanema. This was from a thread regarding reharms of TGFI a couple of years ago. I thought I'd contribute in a small way. There is a lot of great experience and knowledge from the main contributors. It's interesting how a jazz standard can be heard in a completely different way. Keep it up and hope the other jazz cats will contribute.

The Girl From Ipanema - Bridge

Hi, MoJazz

I'd like to hear your clip, but I've already had to join DivShare, and that's one site too many. To hear your clip, I'd have to join eSnips. Don't mean to be contrary here, but I don't want to have to join any more download sites than I have to. I didn't really even want to join DivShare, but I caved.

EDIT #1 Ok, update. I caved again, and decided to suck it up and join eSnips, but it won't let me join. I gave it a hotmail email address, could that be the reason? any ideas?

EDIT #2: I see others had problems with esnips, too. So, everyone's using divshare. me likes

Just wanted to say, I've been trying to catch up on listening to the reharms, there sure are a lot of them! I've listened to most of it now - there's some great stuff happening! Great job everyone.

I'll try to contribute more if I can. I do have some reharms that i've done lately, it's just a question of getting them down on silicon.

I wish I had more time!

LB, you just said exactly what I've been thinking. This thread has made me WANT to play the piano. I'd forgotten it's fun. Really, I think it's been years. So the bonus point for me hasn't been to come up with anything original, phew, but just to have rediscovered a selfish pleasure.

If that makes any sense.

Hey, big thanks to SK for taking a chance with this thread. (I hope you haven't been suffering any TSR :D ) I might not be getting it, but it's free. :thu:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

I'm with you, Sue. I haven't played a gig in 12 years and haven't played any gigs of standards in 20 or more. I've forgotten these tunes and have had to dig out the originals to see how they went and then listen to these reharms. It's been really good for me. For the past 12 years I've been doing the ad music biz and haven't played anything that I haven't written for a decade and the gig forces you to write goofy shit, but I enjoy it believe it or not. I play the gig off, but in reality, it's a very demanding job. Now I've been getting out the real books and thinking about these tune again when I have 5 mins. and I thank you guys for the inspiration to do it.

I wish I had more time!

LB, you just said exactly what I've been thinking.

Hey, big thanks to SK for taking a chance with this thread. :thu:

Same here. I definitely appreciate SK having started a thread giving KB players a chance to exchange ideas.

Also, thanks to Dave Ferris for going down this road with his chord/lines threads too.

Both you cats have added something of enormous value to KC. Do not be discouraged that more folks are not actively participating in it.

To every contributor, take comfort in knowing musicians are sitting on the sidelines trying to learn something. Continue sharing your wealth of knowledge. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This is the first time I've actually checked out this thread because reharm's definitely outside my remit as far as playing goes - I know my limits, see :( . But I've just got to hand it to you guys: you're phenomenal. I'm taking notes, so keep the education comin' now :thu:.

Glad to see everyone enjoying this info..more important though, is actually getting something functional out of it.

I would say, even if you have a pop/rock/r&b tune where you want to

experiment with the harmony or voicing/voice leading...bring it on...here or "chord for a day". I don't feel we should try to intimidate anyone with all the "polytonal clusters" and such. But it would still be a place for that as well.

Back to topic....I put this up maybe 10 days ago in "Chord for a Day". It's a "Piano Composition" based on Giant Steps. Not really meant has a vehicle for improv but more of a "Piece". I did include the chord changes so you can see how I was thinking regarding the harmony and movement.

I've cleaned it up and changed a bit so here it is...

Audio later today hopefully.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4151363-3fa

Dern...missed an accidental...rather than re scan and uploading

..the last eighth note, Page 2, Bar 2, the B below middle C, it's a B Natural.

Ok,there's two. Page 2, Bar 11, Beat 4, RH is a C Natural.

Cliffk, you don't have to post reharms as long as you're getting something out of the thread. Not GAS, but maybe CAS - Chordal Acquisition Syndrome. This gives everyone license to steal ideas :) (consider mine to be in the public domain.)

Thanks to Floyd, ProfD, LB, Cliffk, and everyone for your supportive posts. To 'the reharmers', thanks for making it fun for me. There's some talented folks on this forum - I hope we get to hear from all of them.

Linwood, I know how you feel... I think I've forgotten more standards than I know.

These don't have to all be standards, but using standards is a good way to share ideas (or as long as the word 'standards' isn't removed from the dictionary.)

I'm going to be MIA for a few days soon. It'll be fun to come back and see what's up.

Welcome back, Dave!! :thu:

Cliffk, you don't have to post reharms as long as you're getting something out of the thread. Not GAS, but maybe CAS - Chordal Acquisition Syndrome. This gives everyone license to steal ideas :) (consider mine to be in the public domain.
+1

Here is the music for my very old version of "You don't know what love is", as promised. It's my unchanged scribbled notes from 20 years ago, but it should be readable.

Your 20 year chart is in better condition than some of my 3 yr. charts.

Here's the all but forgotten ballad, "Who Can I Turn To?" Not a major reharm, but I do venture into another key on the solo. It's a little sappy (corny quote at the end), but I never play this song anyway, so...

http://www.divshare.com/download/4153212-56b

The good news: I'm getting better at recording and compression. :thu:

Steve, I loved that song since I heard it from Bill Evans, and your treatment is absolutely brilliant. A variety of different situations, but in logical development, to create a beautiful sense of unity. I love it.

One of my favorite submissions to this thread. Thank you!

Well, now of course, I have ideas for a different version... but no time to do it. :mad:

Next time... :(

Thanks Carlo, glad you liked that. It's really becoming one of those lost modes of popular expression - the ballad. I think ballads once had almost a societal healing quality to them, but they're not part of the culture much anymore.

I look forward to your treatment of this tune, if should you do one.

Your 20 year chart is in better condition than some of my 3 yr. charts.

Only because I massaged it a bit while scanning.... :D

Ahh - I see. Most of my charts are in dire need of 'massage therapy'. :deadhorse:

This is an awesome thread...already 12 pages and growing!!!

To the great pianists who have shared audio samples of their work, could you post a summary of all the music you have posted for download in this thread? It's kinda difficult to search for music in 12 pages.

Anyway, all the music has been amazing and awesome so far...and for us of lesser abilities....a gold mine of harmonic ideas to consider in the coming years!!!!

Vic

Thanks, Vic. We're having fun.

To the great pianists who have shared audio samples of their work, could you post a summary of all the music you have posted for download in this thread? It's kinda difficult to search for music in 12 pages.

Vic

I can summarize it, in three words - "hit and miss." :)

If you'd like, feel free to copy and paste all the links to one post. I don't have time to do it, but it could be interesting to see, and handy. (But then I'd have to post all my disclaimers in one post. :freak: ) It's cool if you or anyone wants to do it. And thank you.

qanqsu,

It IS fun Sue yes! Dave thanks once again for starting this, much of it a little over my head. SK man the tunes and videos were fine! Thank you!

Linwood, I checked out Blue Bossa last night, I love it man.

I'm picking away at this thread slowly! I've been out of commission for awhile, my dad has been very ill. He is recovering

though thank god.

tony

I wish I had more time!

LB, you just said exactly what I've been thinking. This thread has made me WANT to play the piano. I'd forgotten it's fun. Really, I think it's been years. So the bonus point for me hasn't been to come up with anything original, phew, but just to have rediscovered a selfish pleasure.

If that makes any sense.

Hey, big thanks to SK for taking a chance with this thread. (I hope you haven't been suffering any TSR :D ) I might not be getting it, but it's free. :thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Interesting Ipanema bridge, mojazz. I really like that it starts on an F13.

And here's a simple, generic version of the bridge that can be used on band gigs. Nothing special. Pardon the musical 'etcetera' at the end.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4145094-8e7

I rarely play the song, although ITGITC threatened we'd play it at the Mid-Atlantic Jam. :) Now I'd like to commission Beeboss to do an extreme bridge variation. :thu:

Thanks SK. This thread keeps getting better. The "call and answer" responses between you, Carlo and Dave on a tune have been really cool. I liken it to a "cutting session" in cyber space.

Hey lb, glad to hear your dad's ok. Both of my parents passed away in the past year and that's a strange loss to reconcile. I'm not there yet.

Now, I reread my post that you responded to. In retrospect I would say "I might not be getting it all, but it's gold and it's free.

SK, love that you threw another musical quote into your latest track. I don't hear it and it's driving me crazy. Somebody give me "3 words, first word" or whatever.

BTW, as I was doing the dishes and vacuuming and stuff, I was humming "On a Clear Day", and heard "you can see forever, and ever, (hallelujah! hallelujah!).."

See? I'm getting lots out of this thread. :cool:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Beeboss, that 'How Insensitive' was sublimely insensitive. :thu:

You inspired me to try one. I picked "Desifinado." Now this isn't written, just spontaneously improvised in one take, so it's completely fraught with peril. I was just hanging on by the concept. If I really put some thought into it, I'm sure it would be quite different. But thanks for the inspiration to try.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4159993-b2b

gangsu, my unforgivable quote at the end of "Who Can I Turn To" is a two word title... starting with "Moon".