Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

I played those chords on "Rainy Day" simply and barren

Yeah, I was just gonna say, there's like nothing happening here SK, can you bump it up a little?!

You are too funny.

But I just did another one of Rainy Day, a mad scientist version. I may upload it tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.

And I think I should record this tune also in my own straight, old-lady, sing-a-long way. In this company, it's guaranteed the most standout "reharm" ever.

And does VISTA not ship with a sound recorder?

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm (finally!) listening to the full version of "Ipanema" right now. There should be more musicians like David, capable of fusing good, complex music with an intelligent sense of humour. Applause. :)

Also thanks for the score - I actually followed the score while listening. Love how you placed those chords.

Thanks. I've enjoyed everything posted so far. I played those chords on "Rainy Day" simply and barren so the reharms could be heard, since I see this as a reharm workshop more than a demonstration of one's playing.

But I just did another one of Rainy Day, a mad scientist version. I may upload it tomorrow.

Um, you make me feel like an exhibitionist now... :D OK, here's the deal: You do the mad scentist one, and next one I'll upload will be plain and simple chords... :D

Jokes aside, I wasn't my intention to be demonstrative... most people on KC have heard my playing multiple times already. Since I had already posted the score for everyone to check, I thought to spice it up a bit - which is what I would normally do anyway. :)

Haha, thanks linwood. As long as I'm not giving the impression of mocking the thread. The interpretations are amazing to me - and most of all I'm glad to have been introduced to the tune. It's lovely.
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

This one is more out there, girl from ipanema

http://www.myspace.com/anglobrasilianangles

here I tried to destroy the original as far as possible, it's still recognizable though

Hi, Beeboss. Nice arr. of GFI! I thought you might be interested in an arrangement of GFI I did a while back. It was during a reharm thread we were having here on Keyboard Corner a couple of years ago. I tried to apply some Coltrane "Naima"-style harmonies to GFI, and the result was Girl From IpaNaima. At first it was just an exercise, but after a couple of re-writes, I started to like it, and now it's on my gigging song list!

There's a version of it on my myspace page, here:

http://www.myspace.com/richardwhitehouse

I wish I could contribute something new to this thread, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find enough time. maybe

P.S. - apologies to everyone who contributed other reharms on this thread, but I haven't listened to them all yet. Don't mean to be rude, it's just that I saw GFI and it caught my attention...

This thread is getting better and better...

OK, finally eschnips accepted my mp3 so here is a wall of synths playing "This can't be love" by Rodgers/Hart.

For the sheet, clonk here.

I also reharmed Over the Rainbow some months ago in a more jazzy way. If anyone's got suggestions, especially for the B-part of the tune, you're very welcome :wave:.

Hear me stumblin' through the changes or read the chart.

The Dromb Bopper

ESNIPS IS SUCKING. Every time I try to upload a song it denies it and says it's suspected copyright infringement. GRRR

:mad:

...Okay I think I figured it out. I just shouldn't try and upload to a 'public' folder.

As soon as it says it's there I'll post the link to my latest reharm.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Oooh Floyd T I like your Impanaima! That describes it exactly. Nice unexpected twists and turns on the bridge! I would love to see that chart.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

This thread is getting better and better...

OK, finally eschnips accepted my mp3 so here is a wall of synths playing "This can't be love" by Rodgers/Hart.

For the sheet, clonk here.

Nice. You succeeded in transporting the piece in a totally different style, without making it sound forced.

I also reharmed Over the Rainbow some months ago in a more jazzy way. If anyone's got suggestions, especially for the B-part of the tune, you're very welcome :wave:.

Hear me stumblin' through the changes or read the chart.

Sure. For the bridge, you could try:

| Em C#7alt. | Dm/G | Cmaj (Dm7) | F#m7b5 F7 |

| Em C#7alt. | F#m7b5 B7 | G#m7 | G7 |

If I get time I'll try and add some options for the bridge.Good job.

My piano teacher keeps referring to the bridge as "the heap of sh*t this guy composed" :/ maybe it can't ever be played in a cool way? *nudge nudge*

Marino, thanks a lot for the critique and suggestion. I really appreciate it. I gotta pickup as lot jazz as possible, stuff it in my head and hope someday it'll all come back :)

Beeboss, David veeery nice! I took the freedom to pass the myspace-link to a friend of mine who studies composition. I'm sure he'll love your 'derangement' as much as I (I? me?).

Unfortunately I got a problem with the divshare site, too. There's so much stuff popping up... I thought firefox was safe. I'm gonna update and try later

The Dromb Bopper

gangsu, you have a good voice. I won't be treating the forum to mine since I plan to be remain a member for a few days.

Floyd, that's a nice version of Ipanema!

Um, you make me feel like an exhibitionist now... :D OK, here's the deal: You do the mad scentist one, and next one I'll upload will be plain and simple chords... :D

Jokes aside, I wasn't my intention to be demonstrative... most people on KC have heard my playing multiple times already. Since I had already posted the score for everyone to check, I thought to spice it up a bit - which is what I would normally do anyway. :)

Marino, it was a blast to hear you play! I was only explaining the way I played the first take on Rainy Day and why I played it the way I did, not about your playing at all. Hey, even if we distill our playing down to the simplest form, it's still 'us' playing. No reason to hold back here at all - I got a kick out of your version - I checked out again later. :thu:

This thread is turning into a nice workshop, and thanks to everyone who's jumping in on it. I applaud everything going on.

OK, just for a laugh... here's my extreme "Rainy Day." I wasn't going to post it because it could mislead younger players down a road to cacophony.

Like reharm gone wrong, more of a tongue in cheek impressionistic variation than an actual reharm. One take - I didn't care to improve it since I wasn't serious. Think 'Liszt's crackhead great-great grandson.' I did it for contrast - I rarely play this way.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4072556-03a

So, advance apologies for the insanity. And if anyone here actually likes this, I'll lose all respect for you. :evil:

I also reharmed Over the Rainbow some months ago in a more jazzy way. If anyone's got suggestions, especially for the B-part of the tune, you're very welcome

Nice. I play that song maybe once a decade, but here's some different chords for the 1st two bars to try:

1st bar - Eb for 2 beats

Left hand... A bass and G (below middle C) - Right hand (above middle C) Db Gb B Eb (Eb on top for the melody) - 2 beats

2nd bar - Left hand F bass and C and Ab - Right hand (above middle C) Eb G Bb D (D note being the melody.) An F minor 13.

I remember that girl from ipanema reharm thread we had. I took the liberty and redid Tom's bridge. i thought it was kind of cool, not too crazy and maybe fun to blow over on a wedding gig that I wont play any more. I wrote the changes down but I never did do a realization of it, but I thought I'd do something like this with it.

I was eager to hear SK's Mad Scientist take... I even enabled popups... but only thing I got was a truckload of adware and no music...

BTW - my turn again. Here is again the sheet for my reharm of Cole Porter's "Easy to Love".

And here is a solo piano rendition of the theme. I'm not sure I like it, it's a bit rigid, but it delineates the harmonies at least.

I played a little intro, but I think it's clear enough when the theme comes in.

It wasn't my intention to be demonstrative... most people on KC have heard my playing multiple times already. Since I had already posted the score for everyone to check, I thought to spice it up a bit - which is what I would normally do anyway. :)

Marino, it was a blast to hear you play! I was only explaining the way I played the first take on Rainy Day and why I played it the way I did, not about your playing at all. Hey, even if we distill our playing down to the simplest form, it's still 'us' playing. No reason to hold back here at all - I got a kick out of your version - I checked out again later. :thu:

Thanks sk, and no need to explain - it was all said in good humour. :):thu:

That best is Johnny Bowtie's.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/bowtiebarstow

AAaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! :freak::eek::freak::eek::freak::D :D

Totally cool, adventurous reharm of "Easy To Love".

Now I just get a feeling that not many bar patrons would be found singing along with that version. :) I have a few good 'clear the room' pieces myself.

Years ago, a band I was in discovered that if we played "Ceora" loosely at a certain medium tempo, it would always clear the room - every time. That also fit our joke rule of thumb that if there are less people at the end of the night than when you started, you must be doing something right. :thu:

Dave, sorry you're having problems with the Marantz. I'll try again tomorrow to get that mad scientist thing up. But it's tacky anyway, so no 'great loss' if Divshare, in its wisdom, continues to reject it.

True, it's funny to check out the comments below some of the Youtube videos of Hans Groiner. Many people saying 'Man this guy sucks' without getting the joke.

I'm still recovering from that Johnny Bowtie that Linwood linked to... :freak:

You seem to have no feel for real art whatsoever :D

Like this. Bob Dylan goes Smooth Funk. :laugh: I think the song's worth much more after the treatment

Okay, I also dug out some notes I made for a reharm of the Gershwin tune "How long has this been going on". Someone told me about those wicked bitonal slash chords like B/Bb, so I stuffed some of them into the tune... Hear my plastic jazz trio... :freak:

The Dromb Bopper