Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid's an amazing talent - assimilating Chickisms into his lines already. He couldn't have been working on that for more than what - 5 or so years total?

It also a good reminder of what fun he's actually having, which we should always have.

Stevie Wonder is a great pop songwriter/singer, but his playing on Giant Steps would have been good for a 13 yr. old.

Nathan, your "Imagine" sounds nice. Maybe I hear a bit of an excessive contrast between the verse, which would be suitable for a folk-rock arrangement, and the chorus, with its more dense and jazzy chords.

Once again, I'd love to hear your reharms in a full arrangement context, maybe even with voice. :)

Pretty, Mo'. Nice, sort of slow latin feel.

One minor thing I'd have done differently is set up the key changes to F and C more with chords leading to them, so they "arrive" instead of suddenly appearing as a surprise key change. But you can rationalize that either way - I liked it (except maybe for the end quote :) )

Pretty, Mo'. Nice, sort of slow latin feel.

One minor thing I'd have done differently is set up the key changes to F and C more with chords leading to them, so they "arrive" instead of suddenly appearing as a surprise key change. But you can rationalize that either way - I liked it (except maybe for the end quote :) )

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I'll work on the key changes, that's a great hint! :wave:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Here's another 'Name That Tune'. This should be a very easy one.

Part of a solo already in progress. Nothing special, but I tried to play some faux drums on it. I know they sound cheesy, but I felt like messing around with it.

http://stashbox.org/694245/Name%20That%20Tune%20Two.mp3

It sounds like 'All The Things U R' to me, it seems to go through 25's in the same way. Wonderful stuff SK regardless of what it is.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Dave, sounds like you've got your recording thing down! I agree with Kevin the vocals could be just a tad lower, but it sounded great.

As for my little ditty, thanks for the positive comments. "Stella" it is. I stayed away from chords so it wouldn't be quite as obvious. I certainly could have played it better (or worse), but it is somewhat the way I play on gigs with rhythm sections.

The quotes were Straight, No Chaser and Woody N' You. There's no putting anything past you guys. ;)

Sounds great, Dave. Yea, the vox could've come down a tad, but what the hey, it's hard to place it by yourself like that. I always get told to turn up the vox. I never get them loud enough. Also, on your mic, I believe on that board you've got a hpf at maybe 90 or 100, push that sucker in. It'll get rid of the pops on B's and P's. But killer! I love hearing what you do.

SK, always smokin'.

Steve, Stella is great, with some very inspired melodic moments. The sparse "ECM" drumming fits perfectly.

Dave - your singing is getting better all the time, and your playing is very elegant as usual. Did you record piano and voice at the same time?

I'm at school right now, so not really an ideal situation - but after one passing listen on the ultracrappy Mac speakers, I'd say that the progression reminds me a bit of "What is this thing called love", although I'm not sure at all. Quote from "As time goes by".

SK -

I'm sure yours was Jitterbug Waltz without the Jitterbug and minus the Waltz. Very nicely done too.

It was either that or Days of Wine and Roses without the Day, Wine or Roses. Or possibly it was.... ;-0

Seriously, I have no clue, but it was very interesting and fun to listen to!

Roger - lol. Confession: it's Stella again, without the starlight, or the starlight without Stella, as loosely played as I could on that take. It's in and out of time signatures and nearly free at times. I did quote "As Time Goes By." Carlo, one chorus I shifted to an almost backward feel on the chords, which ended up sounding something like "what is this thing called love."

Dave, I know what you're saying - it has the concept/feel of the more out stuff Keith did back with Paul Motian, and maybe some things Chick did back in his "Circle" days in places too. But I think it's more angular, less melodic - just overall dirtier. Listening back, I hear some Ornette in there, who also influenced Keith. Both versions of Stella were coming from that same bag. Whatever it is, it's more extreme (or crazier) than what I usually get the chance to play.

Linwood, I'm guessing... would that just be some sort of level limiter that's preset/applied before recording, instead of afterwards (like the limiter on DP?) If I set the limiter on a DP track and then record on it, wouldn't it do the same thing?

No, it's not like a comp/lim....it's more like riding a fader with your finger turning the volume up or down auto. I'm doing vox right now as I type. Fun a; restaurant, then a mall. I'm sooo into it....... I might dl the demo and try it out later.

Linwood - I guess that thing would work on sax too. I have a great soloist here whose levels are all over the place....

Steve - that's not fair, man. I heard stella at the beginning, but I discarded that *because* you had just done it.

Vindication is coming! :evil: