Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

The best of this week from American Idol . . . and this is great!

Melinda Doolittle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyyOmKyMt_Q

My Funny Valentine

Enjoy!

Anyone who would say that American Idol is "hookey" or poor quality has obviously never watched the show. Melinda Doolittle's performance of "My Funny Valentine" was no less than spectacular. I am sure there are many, many producers who are drooling to get her under contract. She probably will not win because the best talents seldom do win. But she is going to be a big time star. IMHO

Rocky

:thu:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They show this American Idol program as both of the week's shows successively on one of our free satellite channles on a Friday night. I am hooked, glad I haven't had a gig the past couple of Fridays. What with those performances and the fact that my football team won 5-1 and I found a free high quality stream to watch the game in comfort made for a happy evening!

Glad the gig went well Geoff, I'll get to one of yours one day!

For any football/soccer fans out there without a subscription to a cable sports channel:

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/

They show this American Idol program as both of the week's shows successively on one of our free satellite channles on a Friday night. I am hooked,

You get FREE satellite in London??? How many channels?

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Freeview has about 30 TV channels and several music channels as well:

www.freeview.co.uk

We do have to pay for a TV license, about £130, $260 a year. This contributes to the BBC channels, and there is a bit of contention over it.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Admittedly I've never watched the show. Simon is the Antichrist and Paula is the Whore of Babylon. I read this on the internet so it must be true!

What I DO know about AI is that we had to move from Jay's garage to Ricky's garage because the band was interfering with Jay's wife and daughters watching it - moving the band to another night was out of the questions.

Ricky's garage is smaller and easier to heat and his wife brings us snacks.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Admittedly I've never watched the show. Simon is the Antichrist and Paula is the Whore of Babylon. I read this on the internet so it must be true!

What I DO know about AI is that we had to move from Jay's garage to Ricky's garage because the band was interfering with Jay's wife and daughters watching it - moving the band to another night was out of the questions.

Ricky's garage is smaller and easier to heat and his wife brings us snacks.

Talk about a win-win situation.

Do the snacks involve cheese?

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

You know, people say they like cheese, or they love cheese, or even don't care for cheese at all (wtf?), but which kind?

There's so many kinds of cheese.

It's like saying you do or don't like strings.

I like string cheese.

It's about time somebody got around to this.

Thank you, Brian.

Peace,

wraub

Playing a Jazz bass that has no pickguard is even better than playing a Jazz bass that has a pickguard. It's just true, or at least a truism.

Just more good.

It's like not wearing underwear.

Try it. You probably have a Jazz bass lying around somewhere, you do play bass, right?

Check the back yard.

Peace,

wraub

I love eating cheese while playing my Jazz bass. The pickgard does protect it somewhat but not a lot.

To get the maximum flavor from cheese, it must be eaten at room temperature (provided the room is not too cold)

Cold cheese has no flavor.

If the cheese is too warm, it could get into your strings and then you would have to boil them.

After boiling strings, should you put them in a hot oven to dry them???? I could not find the answers on Wikipedia.

Should I try the search feature? Where is that exactly?

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Freeview has about 30 TV channels and several music channels as well:

www.freeview.co.uk

We do have to pay for a TV license, about £130, $260 a year. This contributes to the BBC channels, and there is a bit of contention over it.

You can also get Free Satellite by getting a Sky box (without the Sky card). You can still get over 300 channels except the Sky channels, and a few others. We have that down in Devon - cost us a one-off charge of about $180.00

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Depends on the cheese. You ought not to eat, say, a double cream brie or other soft rind cheese while playing the jazz bass, or any other bass for that matter. Hard cheeses are just too crumbly. I'd stick with a semi-soft, mild-flavored cheese, like an Edam, Gouda, Swiss or Jarlsburg while playing the jazz bass. For P basses I prefer a nice English country or Welsh herb cheese.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Depends on the cheese. You ought not to eat, say, a double cream brie or other soft rind cheese while playing the jazz bass, or any other bass for that matter. Hard cheeses are just too crumbly. I'd stick with a semi-soft, mild-flavored cheese, like an Edam, Gouda, Swiss or Jarlsburg while playing the jazz bass. For P basses I prefer a nice English country or Welsh herb cheese.

Now this OT thread is officially OT! :thu:

In a town called Bedford, not too far away, I have a gig at a strip bar :(! ? I'm not sure at what level I can expect genetic stability in Bedford, and I imagine chickenwire and breastfeeding babies all in the same room. It's not till April so I'll get back to you guys (by then I will have a camera and will take pics for you guys;) ) and let you know what happens. Luckly we will be in a different room than the Girls(wait, my guitarist didnt say if it was a male or female strip joint... oh well) and we play from 10-12 which keeps us away from the way too drunk people.

Have a good one, Jonathan

The real name of Monty Python's John Cleese is actually John Cheese. I heard him say that he once considered using the nickname Jack and moving to Monterey but, of course, that would be to obvious.
Push the button Frank.

Velveeta is the ONLY cheeses of seas! It make a great sculpting clay as well... just keep it away from the kiln.
Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

In a town called Bedford, not too far away, I have a gig at a strip bar :(! ? I'm not sure at what level I can expect genetic stability in Bedford, and I imagine chickenwire and breastfeeding babies all in the same room. It's not till April so I'll get back to you guys (by then I will have a camera and will take pics for you guys;) ) and let you know what happens. Luckly we will be in a different room than the Girls(wait, my guitarist didnt say if it was a male or female strip joint... oh well) and we play from 10-12 which keeps us away from the way too drunk people.

http://www.visit4info.com/sitecontent/LG/fullZZZZZZTVWCL0420081309PIC.jpg

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Did somebody mention American Idol???

The ladies this year are very, very good. THe backup singers are even better. The band is spectacular. Simon is the only honest musketeer. And considering the endless commercials and make-me-puke song dedications, I have no idea how anyone could watch this program without the benefit of the fast forward button on the DVR remote. THe good stuff, though, is real good. Especially good when you keep in mind that this is live; no Power Tools.

And the cracker determines the appropriate cheese.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

http://www.visit4info.com/sitecontent/LG/fullZZZZZZTVWCL0420081309PIC.jpg

This is repulsive on so many levels.

Extremely OT, but I guess this is the thread for it. My daughter is a catcher on a pretty high level fastpitch softball team. Last night the team was at a clinic run by two Olympic gold medalists from the US women's softball team, catcher Stacy Nuveman and outfielder Jessica Mendoza. Very nice clinic.

Afterward, Katie (my kid) and a teammate, along with their Dads, got a chance to chat with Stacey. She let the girls (and me) hold her gold medals from Sydney and Athens.

Probably not a big deal, but I thought it was pretty damn cool.

Push the button Frank.

In a town called Bedford, not too far away, I have a gig at a strip bar :(! ? I'm not sure at what level I can expect genetic stability in Bedford, and I imagine chickenwire and breastfeeding babies all in the same room.

Does your band play "Rawhide" well? If not, learn it.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Did somebody mention American Idol???

The ladies this year are very, very good. The backup singers are even better. The band is spectacular. Simon is the only honest musketeer. And considering the endless commercials and make-me-puke song dedications, I have no idea how anyone could watch this program without the benefit of the fast forward button on the DVR remote. THe good stuff, though, is real good. Especially good when you keep in mind that this is live; no Power Tools.

Yeah, I mentally switch off during the dedications. Fortunately on UK channels we get a lot less commercial breaks so they edit it togther into bigger chunks. I should record it and ff, that would make more sense. The range of the band is incredible - I want to see Ricky Minor in BP.

It's such a huge deal now that I guess fairly established singers are using it for publicity. One (great) female singer admitted she had her own vocal coach and outfit adviser and that was just or the audition.

What strikes me is the difference between AI and the UK versions. There are just so many better singers in the US on this evidence. I've not really watched the UK shows but every the winners of those would not come close to the quality of the best AI singers.

Anybosy who doubts the quality of this stuff, check out the Youtube clips I posted on the previous page of this thread (previous page - depending on your set-up of course).

All this talk of different cheeses - was there an Incident?

wraub - I never have, and never will, play a Jazz bass with underwear on the front instead of a pickguard.

Gold medals? That's pretty cool.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Since we're still OT...

I wish that I could drive this car with a full tank of gas....at top speed...and the 12 minutes it takes to run the tank dry...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron_16.4

*sighs* *wishes*

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Strip club gigs have the benefit of improving your concentration skills. Look 'em in the eyes and smile alot. You'll be a Jedi when the evening ends.

And bring your own cheese. Do not eat strip club cheese. I cannot stress this enough. Oh, unless its the spray kind. Like Cheese Whiz. That's O.K.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

...Bugatti Veyron...

You might find a clip from 'Top gear' where they tested this rocket\\\\\\car, on Youtube.

here's one:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/422697/bugatti_veyron_on_top_gear/

Now for something completely different -

Self and Mrs Slowfinger are off to the Port Fairy Folk Festival this weekend - as watchers, not players. You can see who's on here:

http://www.portfairyfolkfestival.com/index.php?section=2&pid=313

We've been to the last 4 and it's always been a great long weekend. My dream would be to play on the festival circuit.

I have a cat. He is black.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112