Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, Saturday was very lonely over here. The technical threads seem to get a lot of attention. Somebody keeps saying, Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Hey, all those with children or even just a sense of humour should check out 'Shaun the Sheep' which is a short animation the BBC are showing every day here. It's made by the 'Wallace and Gromet' people and it's very good.

Google for the official website which has some clips.

Even better, Youtube has most of the 6 minute episodes posted as very high quality clips.

Yea, Saturday was very lonely over here. The technical threads seem to get a lot of attention. Somebody keeps saying, Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump.

I always get a kick out of how quiet this forum is on Friday and Saturday nights compared to keys and guitar forums. I always presume this is becaause all the bassists are out gigging while thousands of keysmen and guitarers twiddle their thumbs. :grin:

But now, I haven't had a gig for a couple of weeks . . . which is why I'd noticed.

;)

2X4 I have heard but not a 2X12!! Thats a hand cramp just waitin' to happen. Makes a Chapman Stick look like a toy!
Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I always get a kick out of how quiet this forum is on Friday and Saturday nights compared to keys and guitar forums. I always presume this is becaause all the bassists are out gigging while thousands of keysmen and guitarers twiddle their thumbs. :grin:

But now, I haven't had a gig for a couple of weeks . . . which is why I'd noticed.

;)

:grin:

So I told the guys at the guitar forum, but not you guys because we didn't have this thread at the time: my parents told me not too long ago that they are getting divorced, leading to my father getting a house a block away, leading to him having this lady help him decide what goes in the rooms and whatever they do, and the lady's husband (also doing said job) is a bass player. Who has a 1970's American B.C. Rich Mockingbird. And who lent it to me because he doesn't play it and he wants me to fix it up a little. YESS. Well boo about my parents but sweet bass! It's just about mint. I'm having the pots cleaned up a little and I've already polished the crap out of it, just need to get some steel wool for the frets.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

well, where else should i announce that i've bought a new car, and that i'm very excited for it?

my wife was in accident on valentine's day -- she's ok -- but it caused the airbags to make an appearance. and when you drive ten-year-old cars like we do, that usually means it's time for a new car. so we sold our 1996 honda accord to the insurance company the following week.

i've been in the market for about a month, with a budget capped at $5,000. you'd think it'd be hard to find a decent car at that price, but i've managed to locate a 2001 VW golf GLS 1.8T with just over 100,000 miles on it (about 161,000km). i'm pretty excited about it.

robb.

well, where else should i announce that i've bought a new car, and that i'm very excited for it?

my wife was in accident on valentine's day -- she's ok -- but it caused the airbags to make an appearance. and when you drive ten-year-old cars like we do, that usually means it's time for a new car. so we sold our 1996 honda accord to the insurance company the following week.

i've been in the market for about a month, with a budget capped at $5,000. you'd think it'd be hard to find a decent car at that price, but i've managed to locate a 2001 VW golf GLS 1.8T with just over 100,000 miles on it (about 161,000km). i'm pretty excited about it.

robb.

Very cool!!! :thu:

New... the only thing that I have ever owned 'new' are my basses. Vehicles get me from A to B, thats about it. Speaking of that though, I gotta start looking for a van (or hearse) soon. I feel mine is about to go to that great oil change in the sky.

*sniff*

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

http://myspace-330.vo.llnwd.net/00103/03/39/103599330_m.jpg

Stew works for Carey Nordstrand now, and he's bounced back from having all of his basses trashed by Katrina. What a nice, nice guy. And he's a real proponent of "the sound is in your fingers"...none of his basses have tone or volume controls.

"For instance" is not proof.

How do you pronounce Maisie? Like Daisy? Just wondering....

Oh and I might add (I believe you are 12 or 13?) you are one of the most articulate youngenz that I have read/met on this or any forum. I don't know if that is good or bad!

Peace,

Brocko

Raining and cool, around 66F. Goind to take the dogs for a run, go to school do some laundry, and then.......PLAY SOME MUSIC...and then back to school.

Hemp bread with peanut butter and jam just isnt that wonderful for breakfast, but I do feel god afterwards.

Jonathan

robb.

Yes, this brings up my current dilemma. I need to fix the suspension on my car. Here is the background: Its a 93 audi with about 165,000 miles. I have beaten the thing to crap on the inside so no real chance to sell it. Everything else on it works like a charm. Just had diagnostics done on it and everything is in tip top shape. I like the car and it fits my bass rig with no problem, the PA is another story which is one reason I have thought of getting a truck with a topper. The suspension is going to cost me about $1,500-2,300(new front axels, new struts, one new Joint). In 3 years that will make about $3,000 in repairs which seems alright to me instead of paying for full coverage Insurance and for a car payment.

So my question: is it worth it to fix up a car that does everything I need or do you guys think that at its age(14 years old.older than Maisie) its time to put her down and get a newer vehicle. Since Im buying used I might just be getting someone elses problems and have to pay more than I would to fix this one.

I think I have answered this one myself, but do you chaps have any input besides the ones on your bass heads?

Jonathan

So my question: is it worth it to fix up a car...?

my first question in response is whether you have the money for the repairs. that goes a long way in determining whether you should repair it. i agree with you that it's way cheaper to own a car and repair it as needed than it is to make payments on a car that may need repairs, anyway.

i tend to be like the insurance company -- when the repairs cost more than the car's value, perhaps my money is more wisely spent elsewhere. but it's difficult to place a money value on the connection one can have with an automobile. i think the reason i was looking for a golf is because i am still mourning the responsible sale of my civic Si. this way i can recapture its magic at a price i can afford.

the blessing for me is that we were able to put together $5,000 in cash in order to buy a decent car. and it's important that it was cash. people do weird things when confronted with cash (as opposed to a cashier's check or, "i can get the loan from my bank.").

my second question is how much you could get for the parts in the car -- you know, the hard-to-find engine components and the transmission components. there are a lot of audi enthusiasts out the world that are probably looking for those things.

between the cash you could get for parting the car out and the cash you have for the repairs, i assume you could find a pretty decent used A6 wagon. or a jetta wagon.

but either way, you have to decide whether you want to keep your car going. if the engine is fine, it's really only a question of how much value you perceive this specific car to have. maybe you should at least find its value at edmunds.com.

and for me to continue to hype my car, click here for a gallery of pictures.

robb.

Thanks guys, it's cool having my dad nearby and for some reason this makes my mom cook more often which I love.

I hope to get the Mockingbird back soon so I can take some pictures.

Oh and also I've been researching a lot into a new little practice amp and also a fretted bass to replace my Thunderbird, which I'm selling to a friend. Planning on having a good talk with my friend Mr. Tony Franklin from Fender tomorrow, cause I think what I want is a Jazz or something Jazz-based.

Plus I don't know if I mentioned this, but I'm buying my drummer's old kit and she will get me cymbals for my birthday because she's getting a new kit for hers. Sweet deal!

How do you pronounce Maisie? Like Daisy? Just wondering....

Oh and I might add (I believe you are 12 or 13?) you are one of the most articulate youngenz that I have read/met on this or any forum. I don't know if that is good or bad!

Peace,

Brocko

Yup, just like Daisy. (And thank you!)(If it's good).

I like it better with people knowing how to spell my name and not how to pronounce it than the other way around, because they can't be too far off. I've gotten like "Maze" and "Massy" and stuff; often people think it's "Maizy" or something.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Here's the songlist for my current main covers unit

Groovefactor Covers

Stir it up (Marley) Ab

You Can Get it if You Really Want (Jimmy Cliff) Ab

Jean Genie (Bowie) Eb

Black Magic Woman (Fleetwood Mac) Bm

Knockin on Heavens Door (Reggae Version) Ab

Bebopalula (Gene Vincent) Eb

Hound Dog (Presley) B

Johnny B Goode (Berry) Gb

Wipeout (Surfaris) B

Great Balls of Fire (Jerry Lee Lewis) B

Whole Lotta Shakin (ditto) B

The Last Time (Stones) first chord is E

Honky Tonk Woman (Stones) Gb

Hot Love (Bolan) Gb

Get it On (ditto) Eb

Cissy Strut (Meters) B

Green Onions (MGs) Em

FBI (Shadows) Ab

Three Little Birds (Marley) Ab

I Can See Clearly Now ((Johnny Nash) Bb

Oye Como Va (Santana version) Abm

Rescue Me (Fontella Bass) B

All Along The Watchtower (Hendrix version) first chord is Cm

The Boss (James Brown) E

Rock Around the Clock (Haley) Ab

Louie Louie Ab

Come Together (Beatles) Bm

Get Back (ditto) Ab

Pulp Fiction (Misirlou) Dick Dale E

Mustang Sally B or Ab

I Love to Boogie (Jitterbug Boogie) (Bolan) B or Ab

Brown Eyed Girl (Morrison) Gb

One Love (Marley) A

Rebel Rebel (Bowie) Db

Watermelon Man (Hancock) E

Get Carter Theme Carter Mathar Db

Albatross (Fleetwood Mac) Ebm

The Passenger (Iggy Pop) Abm

Blue Suede Shoes (Presley) B

Im a Rocker (Slade?) Gb

Cuz I Love You (Slade) B

Rock n Roll Music (Berry) Gb or B

Wild Thing (Hendrix version) Ab

Satisfaction (Stones) Db (weve played this authentically and also Motown-style)

Its Only Rock n Roll (Stones) various keys

20th Century Boy (Bolan) Eb

Telegram Sam (Bolan) Ab

Lively Up Yourself (Peter Tosh) Gbm

Little Sunflower (Freddie Hubbard) Dbm

Blue Bossa (Joe Henderson) - Bm

Thats Alright Mama (Elvis) - Ab

Samba Pa Ti (Santana) - Gb

Shake Your Moneymaker - Gb

Let Your Yeah be Yeah (Jimmy Cliff) B

Fulsome Prison E

High Heeled Sneakers Gb

Moby Dick (Zep) Db

Whachagonnado about it (The Small Faces) - Db

The Harder They Come (Jimmy Cliff) semitone down from original

Groovin (MGs) Eb

Heroes (Bowie) Db

Mandela (Abdullah Ibrahim)

So What (Miles Davis)

Could You Be Loved (Marley) Bbm/Db

Hawaii 5-0

Gimme Little Sign (Brenton Wood)

Pretty Vacant (Sex Pistols) Eb

Suffragette City (Bowie) Ab

Ziggy Stardust (Bowie) G

Gay Bar (Electric Six) Dbm

Too Drunk (Nouvelle Vague) Abm

Funky Miracle (The Meters) Eb

Give it Away (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)

Cant Stop (Red Hot Chilli Peppers) Ebm

If you need a dep, give me a call - 80-85% of them no problem. What's with all the weird flat keys though? Guitarist tuning down? Zep and Rebel Rebel in Db?

The bass player's job is to make the drummer sound good - Jack Bruce