Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

That IT? jeez Phil, stop slackin! :)

Giggin tomorrow night; last one with our 'young' g***ar player. Gotta let him go. Free him like a bird before we shoot him! How many times do you give a guy to NOT screw up a song with the charts in front of him?

We brought a keyboard guy in for rehearsal, played through about 10 of our tunes (covers) with no music or changes. That was cool.

We are forming a 'farm team' for the moment to cover any gigs that'll need the extra sound.

Spring is starting to get me all excited, if it sticks around.

And cue the rambling (along with the music)

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MusicHall/1069/gallery/jackets/serenade.jpg

Anyone else have this?

It was on the Motown label released in 1980. I don't think it's ever been on CD. Marcus Miller plays the most beautiful bass on it; a young Kenny Kirkland is featured too; Buddy Williams and Yogi Horton share drum duties.

They do a majestic smouldering funk version of Wayne Shorter's Fall. I copied their arrangement years ago for my fusion group. I guess Marcus was 21 and had already recorded with Dave Sanborn and others and about to be noticed by Miles.

Some day I must burn my favourite vinyl onto CD!

I feel that I must teach you younger guys how to simplify your life. Take socks for instance. All of my socks are exactly the same. All black. If I reach into the drawer and pull two out, they match. If I loose one in the black hole (the Dryer) I have a perfect replacement from the one that was left from the last pair that went missing. This is lesson 1 on simplicity in life. More to follow.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I've just been sent the set list for a wedding i'm playing next month, a nice mix of 70's, 80's pop and soul and including Footloose!

I'm so pleased. What a fantastic bass line. Nathan East + octave pedal (if I recall). Will have to dig out a copy.

Phil - have you seen these turntables with USB output that digitize vinyl? About £100, advertised in the papers alot.

The bass player's job is to make the drummer sound good - Jack Bruce

I feel that I must teach you younger guys how to simplify your life. Take socks for instance. All of my socks are exactly the same. All black. If I reach into the drawer and pull two out, they match. If I loose one in the black hole (the Dryer) I have a perfect replacement from the one that was left from the last pair that went missing. This is lesson 1 on simplicity in life. More to follow.

Rocky

I'm with you on that, Rocky.

What most people don't realise is that at the back of every Tumble Dryer is a 4th Dimensional Wormhole leading straight to the Sock Planet. All lost socks are there.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

What most people don't realise is that at the back of every Tumble Dryer is a 4th Dimensional Wormhole leading straight to the Sock Planet. All lost socks are there.

G.

I asked the Mrs' if she'd like to go there this summer. Apparantly that would be too cheesy.

Badda badda boom

:whistle:

Guess what? Easter is my birthday this year! I'm 13! I'm having a really weird weekend cause great stuff happens then really bad stuff happens, like I'm getting birthday wishes from Billy Sheehan and going to G3 and then my parents are like talking about lawyers and custody and s**t but I'm having a good time for the most part, so much is happening at once...

Is it a crime if I just went to G3 for Satch?

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Happy Day to K K!! I remember entering my teen-hood like it was... just... 26 years ago... *sniff sniff* WHY WHYYY!!!!! You'll enjoy Satch, and Petrucci too (I think Dave LaRue is bassin' for him)

Have a good Birthday, Easter n eat alotta Marshmallow bunnies!

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

It's 3:37am I was just getting tired (finally) and then work called. Customer in the UK decided to ring us (instead of just emailing) to open an issue. Fortunately it can wait until later today for me to start working on it. Unfortunately is now I'm wide awake again. Bummer.

Phil, that is one heck of a set list....

/green with envy!

How's the evil empire these days Bump? Vista getting the better of you?

So anyone else getting sick of seeing snow in April?

It was 55 degrees yesterday morning at my house at 11:00AM. By 3:00PM it was 30 degrees and snowing like crazy......

Fortunately, it didn't stick or last very long.

The only good part was seeing my dogs running around chasing it.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Didn't he realise it was the early hours where you were?

Try working for a major hospital system where you are technically on call 24/7...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Nor-eastern today!! woo hoo... rain high winds...snow in places.. Waiting fer water to come into the basement so I can have a WaterPark. Got my rubber raft all set to go!

Didn't he realise it was the early hours where you were?

Yep, they know. They always "feel bad" when they wake us up in the middle of the night for something that's not high priority but that's just part of the job.

How's the evil empire these days Bump? Vista getting the better of you?

Evil Empire is treating me extremely well actually. My 8 year anniversary is sometime later this month. Seems really hard to believe. Vista never causes me headaches as I don't have to deal with desktop junk - high end servers only for this kid. :)

This weekend was hotter than July.

Did you celebrate with some Stevie Wonder? ;)

O.K., my first time with this OT thread.

I have built several solid-body guitars and basses from pieces-parts. My proudest moment in this regard came two days ago when, for the first time, I fashioned a cover for the control cavity in my bass from scratch. Couldn't find a commercially-made one that would fit, so, necessity being a mother...

First I taped a piece of paper over the opening and traced its shape by rubbing a pencil lead over the edge all the way around. Cut this out and glued it to the plastic blank I had bought. Cut that out, carefully, with my SkilSaw (portable jig saw). Flipped my belt sander upside down on the bench, locked it on, and cleaned up the edges (I had cut it the tiniest bit oversize to account for this). The first time I popped it into the cavity and it fit just right I felt, well, "a generous swelling of pride", like Bob in the Enzyte commercial, only in my heart...

I'm sure this is not a big deal to many of you crafty types, but in art class I was always goofing off so this is an accomplishment for me! No digital camera so I can't post a pic but, trust me, it came out better than anybody had a right to expect.

Very OT

I'm watching my football team, Derby County play on the internet (free videostream, great quality). Hopefully this kind of thing will force the pay TV giants out of business. You can see many televised European games free here!

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/059.gif