Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

Why is that the people that SHOULD NOT wear spandex be the most PROUD to walk out into the world that way? eeewwwww!! I should have saved my $70 from the whale watching tour and stay at the beach this weekend. *shudder*
Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:grin:

Know what you mean!

Vanity:

http://www.findmycelebritylookalike.com/

Other cool links:

http://www.newsgroper.com/

www.tinyurl.com/32502m

(Alternative looks for the Beatles)

e.g.

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/281500/281940JoQN_w.jpg

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/331500/331857dIkh_w.jpg

The Beatles as a hair-metal band!

Actually I think that site is bogus. I tried finding female celebrities I resemble and it came up with the same woman it claimed my wife resembled. And we do not look alike.

More Beatles:

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/331000/331492JoQN_w.jpg

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/331500/331850rWav_w.jpg

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/331500/331843QVxu_w.jpg

We got a box set of Marx Brothers movies from Amazon this week. Wow, I love that stuff. Watched 'A Day at the Races' today and 'A Night at the Opera' last night.

Did you get "Duck Soup" too? That's my favourite, because it's the purest of their films. Usually they played on the sides of some love story, but in Duck Soup they pretty much have the film to themselves.

I also love "Coconuts", especially the ballroom scene at the end, what with the faded film and the muffled soundtrack it's all rather dreamlike.

I loved Chico as Signor Pastrami, the famous Lithuanian pianist.

"Signor Pastrami, what is the first number?"

"Number one!"

That, and the cop that has his shirt nicked by Harpo.

They're the later ones that I have beginning with Night at the Opera. I was trying to find a box set including Duck Soup but struggling. Maybe I'll get it on its own.

It's great to see my son getting into Marx Brothers movies too.

This is the one I got -

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yvjDrzO-L._AA240_.jpg

Today had its ups and downs.

For those that don't know it, I'm trying to get somewhere selling designer tee shirts.

Anyway, a potential customer that kept suggesting ways of improving what I was offering her (for a whole month), finally had The Big Meeting with me today... only to tell me that she'd just been informed by head office that the store is overstocked and so, they're not buying any new clothing lines till Summer 2008. Not a terrible loss, the store specialized in stuff for plus-size women and, as my wife said afterward, we are meant to be cooler than that.

After that I remembered I had to pick up some spare strings for my guitarist (we've got a stupid, nowhere gig on tomorrow night) and went off to the local music store. The guy there wanted to sell me an Epi Thunderbird bass.

Now, I tried one once and it was the most horrible bass I'd ever played, in a lifetime of playing cheapies. The neck on the Thunderbird was like a telephone pole with strings. Hideous.

Anyway, the guy shrugged that off, saying his competitors (where I'd tried the Epi) never bother to set up their instruments, and to try HIS. And yeah, set up properly, it's a pretty presentable bass. Killer looks, too. Anyway, it was cool to hang around chatting about gear. I might get the Thunderbird, one day.

Phil: Does it have "Room Service"? That's a pretty underrated film of theirs. I used to have this poster of them playing with one of those Arab bongs with all the hoses. I wonder if they were "just clowning around" or whether they ever smoked dope.

Groucho: "Too soon, too soon. He died too soon."

Chico: "...about an hour too soon!"

I love Room Service, one of my favorite Marx Brothers movies, with a very young Lucille Ball and Ann Miller. Followed closely by The Cocoanuts and Duck Soup. I watched 'A Day at the Races' a few weeks ago and the first half is hilarious, the last half is not their best work. I love "A Night at the Opera", but I've seen it so many times...

Speaking of Lucille Ball and Ann Miller, have you seen "Stage Door"? It's such a stellar cast, with Katherine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Ann Miller (who's only 14 when this movie was made!!!), Lucille Ball, Eve Arden, Gail Patrick, Franklin Pangborn, Adolph Menjou...if you like old movies with fast-talking Marx Brothers-like bantering, try this one. It's killer.

Play. Just play.

She doesn't look that hard to date. She's probably a US made, late 70s, early 80s model, with a fretless neck. ;)

Seriously? Well, you should work out whether it'd interfere with your band. Sometimes when you're in a band with your other half, arguments can spill over into the playing and that can be a drag. But if the other guys are going to go for her anyway, you may as well try it.

Bear in mind, of course, that if she's not pleased with your advances, it could (possibly) get rather awkward to be in a band with her.

re: Room Service. I always wish I'd seen "Hail And Farewell", it looks like a heck of a play! :thu: It's the sort of serious, thought provoking stuff that's crying out for high school matinee shows.

re: A Night At The Opera. The Italian migrants on the boat get a good feed, don't they? My favourite lines are

Cop: Say, why is that table set for six?

Groucho: So what? My alarm-clock is set for eight!

The whole bit with the Russian aviators

And when Chico says "yeah, and your ice is not cold enough!"

re: Lucille Ball. My olds didn't like her, for some obscure reason... so I never saw any of her stuff while growing up(except, of course, for Room Service). And as a grownup, I just never looked into her. Outside the Marx Bros. my favourite "banter" film (tho' in a completely different style) would have to be "His Girl Friday". "The Big Sleep", too, has its moments.

Love all the sly references to Chico's fake Italian throughout the movies - "how come you alwyas get to be Italian?". In 'The Big Store' the Sicilian father accuses him of mocking his accent.

Yes, those Italian migrants were certainly fed well!

And the Russian aviators - when it was Harpo's turn to give a speech you could predict a little of what was coming but it was no less funny.

My son idolises Harpo and is trying to copy a whole bunch of his moves as often as possible.

She doesn't look that hard to date. She's probably a US made, late 70s, early 80s model, with a fretless neck. ;)

Seriously? Well, you should work out whether it'd interfere with your band. Sometimes when you're in a band with your other half, arguments can spill over into the playing and that can be a drag. But if the other guys are going to go for her anyway, you may as well try it.

Bear in mind, of course, that if she's not pleased with your advances, it could (possibly) get rather awkward to be in a band with her.

Early 80's model in great condition.

I'm recently single (for about a month now) and the advances were made by her. Who am I to turn a girl down?

No issues with the band. The singer/acoustic guitar player actually thinks its pretty cool, the drummer & lead guitar are on hiatus for family & work reasons respectively. I guess the caveat would be that the lead guitar player has a thing for her but never made a move. He's a friend and there might be a little friction, but that is personal not professional.

Regardless, since she's gotten back from a 6-week gig in Europe and found me single she's shown her interest and started making advances on her own. I was really just curious if the old adage about "company ink" applied to a band situation that is not a significant source of income.

So... since this is the off topic thread...

Would it be wrong to date the attractive young violin player in your band?

Hypothetically speaking of course...

You mean the one in your band? Hell no, that would be fine. I'd say it was exceptional circumstances ;)

You mean the one in your band? Hell no, that would be fine. I'd say it was exceptional circumstances ;)

Well, Kramer & Trucks both give the thumbs up, so if anyone, uh, hypothetically had a good looking violinist in their band they would be okay to date them.

You've got a thumbs up from me too, especially since she was the one making the advances. After all, you're right...who are you to turn a girl down? That's three votes now go for it. Just don't make it wierd and all should go well. If I had a good lookin violinist in my band, hypothetically speaking of course, I would give myself the ok to date her. Actually I would really like a cute violinist, or any other musician for that matter, in my band.

Ibanez BTB450

Ibanez SR905

Ibanez SRX400

Brownsville ABG2CRBS

Palatino VE-500 EURB

Crate BX-2115L

Crate BT50

Outside the Marx Bros. my favourite "banter" film (tho' in a completely different style) would have to be "His Girl Friday". "The Big Sleep", too, has its moments.

Ahh, Rosiland Russell!! The one and only Hildy Johnson. My favorite part in that film is the poignant scene with the 'girlfriend' of Earl Williams being badgered by the newspapermen, then Hildy ushering her out of the Press Room, returning to stare down the calloused reporters and only saying "Gentlemen of the Press" with such disgust that they shamefacedly all turn away and stare at the floor. Excellent. OF course, the cast is one of the best out there, with Cary Grant and Ralph Bellamy, and Gene Lockhart as the Sheriff (father of June Lockhart of "Lost in Space" fame...)

I love old movies!

Play. Just play.

Well, Kramer & Trucks both give the thumbs up, so if anyone, uh, hypothetically had a good looking violinist in their band they would be okay to date them.

Nutt, make it informal, like this thread. You are both single? And she made the first advances?? Don't you have friends there to kick you in the..... well.... nutt? Yeah, go ahead see how it works out.. you can always use the "I'd hate for the band to suffer if it don't work out bit if you wanna bail from the relationship." I think that it would be fine. She sure is.

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/wal_history.htm

is the most comprehensive Wal site. (but v.difficult to navigate and you can mis stuff!)

Hey Lee, How much are tickets for that John Butler gig, I might go.

Thanks, I will check through the Wal site... Still some sanding to go. The black paint had seeped into the Ash wings, a lot more than it had the maple and walnut(?), so its taking some time!

Tickets are £17.50 plus the usual service charges that they stiff you with :-)

www.ticketmaster.co.uk