Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a gig on Saturday - covers, birthday party, suburban cricket hall, lovely food, nice people, depping keyboard player busking the tunes by ear (did OK).

The guitarist broke a string (again) on the final number - Jean Genie. That was tough. The dance floor was packed and it was midnight and we wanted to get home - as much fun as we were having. So we played an encore- "Play anything!" the bandleader said cunningly, wanting to strike a fine line between something so good that they would want even more and so bad that they'd stop dancing.

So I played the line to 'Groove is in the Heart' which Ron Carter originally played on some old film soundtrack, the keyboard player hit the Rhodes the drummer had a ball and the rock covers gig suddenly turned into some kind of funk-fusion gig :) and they still danced! :love:

Oh yeah, for those that don't know . . . the classic and much overplayed 'Groove is in the Heart' bassline by Deee-Lite oft attributed to Bootsy was actually taken from 'Bring Down the Birds' by Herbie from the 'Blow Up' soundtrack (1966) with Mr Carter on bass.

the original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKTCW4oxS6I

the sample - sounds re-recoded to me

the keyboard player hit the Rhodes...

He had a RHODES? How wonderful! I really love Rhodes pianos. An old girlfriend had one and it had the most gorgeous sound. Pity it was the "suitcase" model with the built in amp and box (ie it wss like carting around TWO pianos) :P Beautiful, beautiful instrument.

there is a rhodes piano in one of my college classrooms. its an ugly-a$$ thing(im pretty sure it is mint green and brass colored), but it sounds cool.

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

What's ugly-a$$ about it? :o I mean, I've never heard anyone knock them on aesthetic grounds before (mind you, I don't think I've ever discussed this with anyone before, either! :D I've seen the green ones in photos. I really like them. Then again, when a Fender Bassman came out with fake leopard fur instead of tolex, I loved that too!

Beautiful things. I've never heard anyone call them ugly.

I wish he had a Rhodes, the dep key player was merely using a Rhodes-like sound (as if there is one!!!) - I guess I was over-romanticising.

I did play for years in a fusion band with a guy who had a Rhodes and I used to have to help carry it into jazz clubs which were invariably up flights of stairs - scary weight - absolutely incredible instrument though.

I did play for years in a fusion band with a guy who had a Rhodes and I used to have to help carry it into jazz clubs which were invariably up flights of stairs - scary weight - absolutely incredible instrument though.

Yeah, and whatever you do, don't DROP it. They go out of tune like nobody's business.

:eek::D

Just checking in while preparing for tonight's gig. A wedding opposite the Ritz. For some bizarre reason they've requested 'Too Drunk to F***' by the Dead Kennedys (we do the more subtle Nouvelle Vague bossa version and 'Pretty Vacant' - some wedding! :whistle:

Got a call this morning as well to learn 'Funk Soul Brother' by someone or other (easy) and Guajira by Santana (which fortunately I know and love).

On the way to the gig on Saturday the guitarist told me that he had been teaching and his student left his Gibson LP propped up and that he (the teacher) then tripped over it and broke the headstock straight off! Aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhh!

But amazingly the repairist simply glues it back together with some kind of glue they use for boats and it worked, he used the guitar on the gig fine - I wouldn't have though that possible.

The gig was one where we had little space and I re-used my cunning plan of positioning myself behind the guitar amp - ahhhh -bliss! Following what someone else posted on here I also tried standing behind the drummer too - that was cool watching him play - like a drum lesson; whenever he did something flash he would glance round and grin at me.

It was a wedding gig at a very posh venue in Mayfair - a very well-heeled set. It was a place called the 'Arts Club' right opposite designer John Rocha's place. Very posh club with former members including Dickens, Bram Stoker, Pisarro, Degas, Mark Twain and Conan Doyle.

http://www.theartsclub.co.uk/

Very nice looking food but unfortunately they didn't feed us. :(

We had to set up before 6 and then disappear before starting the first set at 8.30. So 2 hours to kill but the drummer and I managed dinner and a brief appearance at a party in that time.

We played 'Pretty Vacant' but I (not a punk fan) had learned the arrangement as the record and the bandleader (a major punk fan) for some reason changed the arrangement without telling me - slight hint of train wreck for about 1.5 beats.

Another song he did what I hate which was bellow instructions incoherently at me so we have decided on some hand signals.

Ahhh, playing in central London, good pay, finished playing by 11.00! Nice!

Phil:

Was the Gibson the teacher's or the students?

Glad to hear the view from behind the drummer was beneficial. I wish I could set up that way all the time....In a Perfect World...

Box Elder Bugs: I've got'em. Lots of them; more than I can describe. It made the cockroach episode of "Dirty Jobs" look like a cakewalk; lucky for me most of them are still outside. Long story short: the wiki thing told me to hit 'em with soapy water. Worked like a charm. Life is better with the wiki.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

the wiki thing told me to hit 'em with soapy water. Worked like a charm. Life is better with the wiki.

Anothr interesting thing to do is to pour salt on slugs. They just... melt. NB: I used to do that a lot more when I was a little kid and before I developed a greater respect for other life forms.

It was a wedding gig at a very posh venue in Mayfair - a very well-heeled set. It was a place called the 'Arts Club' right opposite designer John Rocha's place. Very posh club with former members including Dickens, Bram Stoker, Pisarro, Degas, Mark Twain and Conan Doyle.

Any werewolves? AAAaahhhh--oooooohhhhhhh!

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

hahah well actually, it has. i felt my previous avatar didn't reflect me as well as this one. it's like...the essence of me.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Hi Maise. How was your summer?

Last night we went to a bonfire and weenie roast at a friends' home. They live out in the country, with a broad view of the stars. We had a very nice time. There was a HUGE bonfire, food, and fellowship. It was cool and crisp last night, which I enjoy, but I kinda hate to see summer coming to an end.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Okay I have made something up on bass just playing around but I think it sounds like a song that I have herd. Any chance some one can PM me so they can listen to the song and see if I'm playing it?

Thanks SPK

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Okay I have made something up on bass just playing around but I think it sounds like a song that I have herd. Any chance some one can PM me so they can listen to the song and see if I'm playing it?

Thanks SPK

Does it make any difference? I mean, if YOU think you're ripping off somebody else's song, no amount of other people's opinions will change your mind (well, that's what happens with me anyway), and so much music is built up from other bits and pieces anyway. There's nothing wrong with adapting a song and making it your own.

So, in as many words, if you think you're doing another song, you ARE. Not that it matters though.