Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Beer for party

cedar

I had to look up WTF White Claw is. Hard seltzer. Soda water with 5% alcohol. Geez, have a vodka and soda with a slice of lime. More bang for your buck.
Until this thread, I had never heard of White Claw either. Then ten minutes after reading it I read this in the Washington Post: The key to White Claw"s surging popularity: Marketing to a post-gender world. Weird. I guess I need to get out more.

In typical WaPo fashion, the linked article is behind a paywall. That's OK. I wouldn't want to live in a post-gender world anyway.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such thing as a bad beer

Oh...those horrid "light" beers are horrendous. :freak:

Funny thimg about light beers, everyone hates them but when I take them to a party and put them in the ice tub they always disappear long before the party is over.

With lots of Random Breath Testing in these parts those who bring full strength seem to manage to keep them down even though they dont buy em.

When I host I always have these on ice.

coopers_light_bottle_can.png

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I"ve had left over beer that I bought from BJ"s and returned after the party for a refund. Having this option makes it easier since you can buy an extra case (or two) as backup. Just don"t open the case(s) that you might want to return. I put them in the garage so no one would accidentally open them. Sometimes they"re needed and sometimes they"re not.

I have friends that drink Coors Lite all the time. We have Genny Beers here and they are popular. When we were younger and doing more "field research" we'd drink anything. Back then the Ice beers were popular in the late 80's early 90's. Craft Brews weren't all the rage. We have 25 here in the county I live in alone. It's good to perform at them. I just can't see it being sustainable.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

One thing I was considering, but am leaning against, was a "pony keg."

I think you're on the right track. Although I no longer drink (so FWIW) I go to my fair share of private events, and it's been ages since I've seen a keg of any sort. Kegs also tend to encourage excessive drinking, and you don't want people getting hammered.

If it were mine, I'd stock what people are already familiar with rather than introduce them to new stuff. Whether it's music or alcohol, what works best is what they know. You probably know what your friends drink, so maybe start building from that.

Is this your first party?

You could do what the Fins do: supply an over-abundance of beer, wine, and vodka, keep it all flowing and easily within reach, strongly urge everyone to sleep over.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Coors lite for the ladies
According to the WaPo article (somehow I'm able to defeat the paywall), you want to get White Claw to avoid this distinction. I learn something new everyday. Apparently, White Claw is very popular with both men and women - of the younger generation. And it's gluten-free!

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

^ In July a club I'm involved with was having problems keeping White Claw in stock because of supplier issues. I went to a house party of a neighbor of mine (a lady in her 70s!) who had an ice bucket of this stuff on her patio, and while I was there it was going fast. It was a warm summer afternoon, and it seems to be marketed for that.

So it could be just a summer fling, and like Truth Hurts be gone before we know it. To Cedar - if you think your group wouldn't know what it is, I wouldn't worry about having it on hand. And as Bobby mentioned, many people bring alcohol as a party gift - so you may not have to stock much of anything.

From a European point of view, I'm always amazed that stuff like Bud Light can legally be sold as beer.

You do know why American beer is like making love in a canoe, right?

:snax:

:laugh:

I just can't see it being sustainable.

Down the street from me used to be three bars, some of the old locals used to make the rounds between them. Only one is left. Now, a little further down the street we have a very popular bar, a volleyball bar, two micro breweries, a winery, and soon to come, a distillery. I don't see how these will last long term, either. Right now, they're making money while it's there to be made but with all the breweries we have around Houston, I wonder how long this will last. I think some people see the success of Saint Arnold (which was started in 1994) and now Karbach and want to be the next one.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

From a European point of view, I'm always amazed that stuff like Bud Light can legally be sold as beer.

You do know why American beer is like making love in a canoe, right?

:snax:

:laugh:

I do, but I'm far too refined and dignified to say (I'ts f**king close to water). Oops.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The breweries I play at all have to have music done at 11 Pm due their license. They are closed at midnight compared to bars that serve well drinks. Someone told me in NYS the license is different if there is liquor served.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I can't drink much anymore because of health stuff, but I love red beer, love that fumé flavour... Leffe, La Biere du Demon, Devil's Kiss, Oberdorfer... all red beers from Belgium. I doubt they will be easy to find in the USA, however.

Belgians are readily available, on the East Coast anyway, however they are pricey.

:nopity:

a little further down the street we have a very popular bar, a volleyball bar.

Ain't never seen that before. :duck:

http://www.wakefieldcrowbar.com

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A few cases of PBR will be cheap and put some hair on their chests (including the women). Since I don't care about hair on my chest, I prefer Shiner Bach and Maredsous 10 Tripel.

In all seriousness, PBR is supposedly making a comeback in the USA and now has a cult following among Hipsters, although I have no idea why. Maybe it's a subtle form of rebelling against us old Boomer farts who now control the wealth and levers of power and generally prefer more "exotic" foreign and craft beers.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

In all seriousness, PBR is supposedly making a comeback in the USA and now has a cult following among Hipsters, although I have no idea why. Maybe it's a subtle form of rebelling against us old Boomer farts who now control the wealth and levers of power and generally prefer more "exotic" foreign and craft beers.

If you're a hipster you drink Hams and PBR just in case the tattoos, skinny jeans, plaid shirts, and ironic facial hair aren't enough to establish that you are an uncompromising individualist who rejects any and all social norms.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I like a variety of beers, Mexican, German, Asian, UK, Belgian. Not so much American. I went to a brewery in Marin (north of SF), great place, great atmosphere, huge selection. Although I've sampled a lot in the past, I'd never tried IPA. So there on the menu was a "triple something IPA", and I goes, well lets try that.

That shit was bad, the most bitter disgusting drivel ever.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud