Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2989610 - 05/14/19 06:45 PM Keyboardists, if you could do things again...
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
would you do things differently?

Probably lots of things for me. Two jump out..

1) I would have kept up my sight reading chops. I stopped reading at a very young age. I regret not keeping that skill up.

2) I would have gone to college, learned a bit about business, before diving deep into music. I think I would have had a more satisfying and worthwhile experience.

KC Island
#2989611 - 05/14/19 06:56 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Nope. Any time spent on regret is wasted in my book.

I dropped out of college and toured the country for 10 years while I was young enough to enjoy it, and at a time when the live music scene allowed one to make a living.

When it was time to raise a family, I went back to school and was able to concentrate because I was more mature, having already sowed my wild oats.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2989615 - 05/14/19 07:45 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: mate stubb]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

hey, at least you made it to college! I didn't even make it out of high school. Similar to you, later on I went back to school, but not so sure about the maturity part.

Edited by waygetter (05/14/19 07:50 PM)
Edit Reason: adding some stuff

#2989616 - 05/14/19 08:27 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter]
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES
I would've said yes more.

#2989617 - 05/14/19 08:50 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ksoper]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Originally Posted By: ksoper
I would've said yes more.

^^^^
THIS

And especially when I didn't know exactly what I was doing, or wasn't a monster in the style being covered. Cj Vanston's interview in Keyboard Mag, several years ago, was a real eye opener, again. It's basically stuff he suggested to me back in 1987, when I was working my way into the Chicago area scene. I didn't quite follow his guidance then cry. Fear is a powerful thing, but it's getting to be irritating AF..

#2989618 - 05/14/19 08:59 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: allan_evett]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
There were a lot of bands I stayed in longer than I should have, because I didn't want to sever friendships, or just out of some sense of not wanting to be a quitter, hoping things would get better when the trend was clearly in the other direction. If I could do it again, I'd act in my own self interest much more.

Kind of pointless exercise, since I can't (do it again). But I guess there's the hope that someone reading this will have a lightbulb go on over their head.

roccoromanucci.com

#2989619 - 05/14/19 09:09 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ksoper]
Sam CA Online   content

Loc: Los Angeles
I would probably learn more about sampling, Synths, Synth engines, Modular set ups, electronic music ...etc.

#2989626 - 05/14/19 09:57 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Sam CA]
Randelph Offline
Gold Member

I would take my music more seriously and be involved in more bands and theatre projects. As it was, I didn't have folks with awesome chops and motivation around me, and took my talent for granted.

When I do this life over I will learn to be that keyboardist/producer that can provide the spicy beats and soundscapes, and my prime motivation will be to bring together musicians, dancers, singers etc. together to express and enjoy.

It's funny I see this topic tonight, I had a bathtub insight tonight about my primary motivation around music being to bring folks together in a powerful way thru music.
Roland Street Cube EX / QSC K10, K8.2 / SS V.3

#2989627 - 05/14/19 09:59 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Sam CA]
retrokeys Offline
Platinum Member

Would have bought a Hammond first thing instead of fooling around with combo organs and trading up. Lost money that way. Would have kept up with lessons and learned some theory formally. All things considered though, if I had it to do over... I sure would.

#2989628 - 05/14/19 10:13 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: retrokeys]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh, and another thing, I'd sleep with more groupies. Not that we keyboardists get a lot of them, but there were opportunities I passed up. I thought I was taking the high road. What the hell was I thinking.

roccoromanucci.com

#2989630 - 05/14/19 10:35 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Adan]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

I might have taken lessons ... and practiced. I'm self taught and only started playing keyboard in bands late in life. I played sax and guitar in bands all my life but only took up keys because the opportunity presented itself. Then again, if I had taken piano lessons when I was younger, I might never have ended up playing in rock and blues bands. Who knows?

What I really wish is that I had learned to play Hammond organ when I was young including playing the bass pedals. I'm always so impressed when I see somebody play that instrument.

#2989631 - 05/15/19 12:15 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: El Lobo]
Groove58 Offline

I would take more lessons, do more practice, and waste less time with projects that aren't going anywhere and people who aren't pulling their weight.

#2989636 - 05/15/19 04:03 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Groove58]
re Pete Offline

Trust my gut feeling and not trust those out for themselves.
Easier said than done.
Wish I had stuck with Bach more when I was younger. Didn't realise how important fingering was playing conterpoint personally. I do now and it's helped immensely. The Inventions, WTC etc will really help your technique.

Edited by re Pete (05/15/19 04:10 AM)

#2989641 - 05/15/19 04:10 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Groove58]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Like, I didn't learn more sight readng than primary school recorde lessons, high school self education with library books, and as early graduate plowing through conservatory sight reading course books. I know I should have practiced (what's wrong with spell-check ?!) more, but I don't think I care having to take something of an afternoon to read a page of complicated classical music. I know all the symbols and timing meanings, and yeah, it would be nice to just play some Brahms I never saw before, I don't really care about that.

I seriously think I might have liked it better to, in an early stage in the 80's, have bought a cool Prophet, instead of some of the Jap stuff.

Like now I regret not to live in San Fransisco, but that probably isn't in the department of "regret"...

T

#2989649 - 05/15/19 05:00 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Theo Verelst]
Guven Ilter Offline

Loc: Istanbul, Turkey
I would have dedicated all my available time to music and forget about professional office life. Yes, I might have had a hard time, but it would have been a much more meaningful life.

#2989653 - 05/15/19 05:22 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Adan]
Rustar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Originally Posted By: Adan
There were a lot of bands I stayed in longer than I should have, because I didn't want to sever friendships, or just out of some sense of not wanting to be a quitter, hoping things would get better when the trend was clearly in the other direction. If I could do it again, I'd act in my own self interest much more.

Kind of pointless exercise, since I can't (do it again). But I guess there's the hope that someone reading this will have a lightbulb go on over their head.

Wise indeed

#2989654 - 05/15/19 05:25 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Originally Posted By: waygetter

1) I would have kept up my sight reading chops. I stopped reading at a very young age. I regret not keeping that skill up.

2) I would have gone to college, learned a bit about business, before diving deep into music. I think I would have had a more satisfying and worthwhile experience.

Interesting topic, coming up a lot lately - directly related to how much we are earning and if we've managed to scratch out a life for ourselves.

Biggest fears have always been my hands, longevity and health. 10x more so since starting a family. Need to make sure everyone is cared for. Had wrist trouble for a bit from practicing classical rep on a DP and not adjusting well to it. Learned that lesson the hard way - thankfully recovered. This winter the trigger finger started giving me trouble. Need to stretch and warm up and cool down as I get closer to 50.

But because I played it safe, I can't complain - not wealthy by a long shot, but definitely in the lower middle class because I played it safe. I practiced a lot, learned to read well but that didn't stop me from playing by ear or improvising. I threw myself into a lot of playing situations and picked up lots of styles. And I did go to school - finished two degrees in music and got certified to teach. I probably work a lot more hours for less money than other fields with an MA - but I'm doing what I chose to do and working in my field of study. In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).
No regrets!
cheers

#2989656 - 05/15/19 06:18 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I would have stayed away from certain musicians. I would have fired people on in my current band a lot earlier then I did. I don't have too much regret. I mean I would have like to be a better piano player but I always had martial arts on the side and the fact I am such a later bloomer.

noblevibes.com

#2989657 - 05/15/19 06:18 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter]
Synthoid Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Yes.

I would choose a much lighter musical instrument. laugh

#2989659 - 05/15/19 06:22 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
montunoman Offline
Gold Member

I should have done everything to develop my voice. There were so many opportunities like church and school choirs, and school/community musicals. When I young I simply did not have the inclination nor did realize how important it is for a musician to sing. I started singing as an adult and I can get by.... but I’m sure I’d be a much better singer if I had started really singing early in life.

#2989661 - 05/15/19 06:27 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: mate stubb]
bourniplus Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Québec
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

This.
I think it's not only wasted, but counter-productive and unhealthy for the mind and body. There's only one way and it's forward! What really matters is what you're doing NOW to improve what you want to improve.

#2989662 - 05/15/19 06:30 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline
Gold Member

Also let me add ear training. I wish also I had really dedicated much more time to it. I am a believer ( for the most part) that it’s never too late, so I do make it a point to do ear training every day now. My aural skills have gone from “really bad”
to “Ok” With more work I think I can keep on developing my ear to a high level. It’s a life long process I suppose.

#2989664 - 05/15/19 06:32 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: bourniplus]
montunoman Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: bourniplus
Originally Posted By: mate stubb

This.
I think it's not only wasted, but counter-productive and unhealthy for the mind and body. There's only one way and it's forward! What really matters is what you're doing NOW to improve what you want to improve.

+1

#2989665 - 05/15/19 06:35 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: montunoman]
Synthoid Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: montunoman
I am a believer

#2989667 - 05/15/19 06:54 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Synthoid]
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
Learn to read, practice more...but I'm content with where I am as a keys player. I'm a good asset in a part-time non-pro band and like my non-music career.

I wish I'd gotten started sooner with singing. I really enjoy it and feel like I could have done it much more (maybe even lead) in my younger days.

I REALLY wish I'd stuck with guitar when I was younger, when it's so much easier to learn (and I had way more time). Having the versatility to play keys and guitar would be awesome and it's something I have always wanted to do (and still might, I'm working on it!)

Edited by Stokely (05/15/19 06:55 AM)

#2989668 - 05/15/19 07:00 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
If I could do things again, I always wanted to be a lumberjack Python

#2989670 - 05/15/19 07:07 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).
No regrets!
cheers

So if you could do it over again, you'd get the Kronos. Got it!

roccoromanucci.com

#2989674 - 05/15/19 07:27 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa

Mandolin...probably a sign of my advancing age that weight and hassle are my utmost concerns.

#2989675 - 05/15/19 07:40 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Sam Mullins]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Used more hand cream when I was a young tyke along with serious piano study in my early teens instead of my early 20's . . . I stopped studying at about 9-10 after almost 3 years or so and played R & R from 13-21 actively....which BTW I wouldn't have traded for anything in life and a true Huck Finn experience for me in the late 60's though the mid 70's , so life is never simple to navigate.. keys But I'm a happy Campo now regardless.... no regrets what-so-ever...and glad to be playing and still growing musically at the ripe old age of 64 cheers

Edited by Legatoboy (05/15/19 12:12 PM)

#2989676 - 05/15/19 07:42 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Adan]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).
No regrets!
cheers

So if you could do it over again, you'd get the Kronos. Got it!

facepalm laugh

Not at all, some gear is just window shopping material. Not gig necessary.
Different priorities at different times of life. wink

#2989687 - 05/15/19 08:56 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: waygetter]
Wastrel Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have nothing profound to add here, except that its interesting that everyone has already captured all of the coulda woulda shoulda things I have pondered over the years. Totally agree that maundering over the past is a complete waste of time, and will go one further to say that sharing all this sage advice with a young person is probably a similar waste of time and energy as their world is different than ours was and they probably wouldn't listen anyway.

#2989689 - 05/15/19 09:00 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Wastrel]
Bill H. Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
1. Drink less.
2. Concentrate on my vocal chops as much as I did my keyboard chops.

#2989690 - 05/15/19 09:00 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
i would have partied alot less and composed more back when i was young enough for it to matter. would have believed in my ability to develop lyrics and melodies, which I now believe was always in there by I was not mature enough to grab the opportunity.

now i have plenty of both, and no time or band to deploy the great ideas.

#2989697 - 05/15/19 09:40 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: MotiDave]
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member

Early 20s in the 89-93 period I was gigging every week but I wish I'd bought better gear and practiced more. I wasn't even buying records or CD's during that period after starting with them earlier in the 80's. And I should have had a guitar and amp too. Had already started with it and was playing well but was borrowing a guitar. (got this sorted in 94) And I should have had a metronome too.

#2989698 - 05/15/19 09:41 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Adan]
Randelph Offline
Gold Member

Oh, and another thing, I'd sleep with more groupies. Not that we keyboardists get a lot of them, but there were opportunities I passed up. I thought I was taking the high road. What the hell was I thinking.

+1!

#2989704 - 05/15/19 10:36 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
area51recording Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
I would have bought that Nord Lead back in '74

#2989707 - 05/15/19 10:58 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: area51recording]
Randelph Offline
Gold Member

I'm certain you're mistaken there, the Nord Lead didn't come out until '76

#2989708 - 05/15/19 11:05 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Randelph]
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago/NW Indiana
Lessons. If I could go back, knowing what I know now, I would have not stopped lessons. In fact, I will be starting lessons as soon as I find the right teacher. So far, no luck. The ones I spoken to are all really great human beings, but they have been either terrible at communicating knowledge or not advanced enough.

#2989711 - 05/15/19 11:16 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Randelph]
area51recording Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: Randelph
I'm certain you're mistaken there, the Nord Lead didn't come out until '76

Well.....it WAS a long time ago..... smile

#2989712 - 05/15/19 11:18 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

Interesting topic, coming up a lot lately - directly related to how much we are earning and if we've managed to scratch out a life for ourselves.

Biggest fears have always been my hands, longevity and health. 10x more so since starting a family. Need to make sure everyone is cared for. Had wrist trouble for a bit from practicing classical rep on a DP and not adjusting well to it. Learned that lesson the hard way - thankfully recovered. This winter the trigger finger started giving me trouble. Need to stretch and warm up and cool down as I get closer to 50.

But because I played it safe, I can't complain - not wealthy by a long shot, but definitely in the lower middle class because I played it safe. I practiced a lot, learned to read well but that didn't stop me from playing by ear or improvising. I threw myself into a lot of playing situations and picked up lots of styles. And I did go to school - finished two degrees in music and got certified to teach. I probably work a lot more hours for less money than other fields with an MA - but I'm doing what I chose to do and working in my field of study. In a few weeks I'll take my 8 year old to Disney for the first time instead of getting a Montage or Kronos (or renovating a kitchen that has seen better days).
No regrets!
cheers

No regrets here either. Not rich and famous but I've been fortunate and blessed beyond words.

Never have worked a day gig my entire life. I came up in an era when it was possible to make a living as a full time freelance musician. It wouldn't have happened had I not been smart enough to get out of dead end STL at 25.

In 40 years of living in LA, I've never had to play in "a rock band" and go through that whole drama scene, not to mention having to endure the sonic assault.

Not that it's been all roses. I've done a lifetime of shit gigs, often with shit/hack players and singers. But luckily those days, with each passing year, are getting further in my rear view mirror. Looking back, it was only one night.

Like my wife has always said -- well, at least you don't have to go back to the office and spend 8 hours a day/5 days a week/50 weeks a year/ year after year with them. On the other hand, I've been lucky to share the stage and studio with many world class, inspiring musicians. So you have to take the good with the bad.

I've had three great teachers in my life. Been practicing on three different great pianos with an isolated, dedicated studio/space since 1985. So I've tried to make the best of my "artistic time", even during all those years when I was doing those brutal and demeaning gigs.

I feel fortunate that at almost age 66, I still have the physical and mental drive to practice and desire to improve everyday. Many of my contemporaries are so bitter and burnt out, they basically are saying F**k it.

I think it helps that I never kissed a lot of ass - yet have always been cordial and professional - held my standards high and kept practicing, no matter how dark it got. Even though I did the shit gigs like everyone to make a living, I was still able to look in the mirror at night and feel good about myself.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2989720 - 05/15/19 11:47 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Dave Ferris]
stoo schultz Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Neahkahnie Mountain
I dunno, I have two parallel lives, equally serious and committed, as a professor of biology and as a musician -- often wonder if I should have quit science and gone full bore on music. I know the reverse would not have been possible, would have been like cutting off an arm. Being an academic researcher though has enabled me to travel and see much of the natural world that I would not have been able to do otherwise.

On the other hand, the life described by Dave Ferris seems utterly idyllic to me, which makes me wonder what would have happened if I had made a hard choice in my 20s. Making a living as a freelance musician while practicing daily on a 2005 NY Steinway D seems like an impossible dream. Nice to see some have made the dream their life.

Edited by stoo schultz (05/15/19 11:49 AM)

#2989724 - 05/15/19 12:07 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
KorgyPorky Offline

I would wish i never quit my piano lessons in my puberty

#2989725 - 05/15/19 12:11 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Dave Ferris]
zeronyne Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago/NW Indiana
OK, I take mine back. I just want to have lived as Dave Ferris. smile

#2989746 - 05/15/19 02:37 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: zeronyne]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
I would have started playing much, much younger. Like whatever age Steve Nathan was when he first touched a keyboard. grin

#2989747 - 05/15/19 03:02 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Joe Muscara]
ChiefDanG Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
To echo a few of y'all-
I should have developed my voice more.

#2989754 - 05/15/19 03:37 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
sleepngbear Offline
Gold Member

Loc: RI
Even if I wanted to do things different, I don't know that I could have. I have the attention span of a gnat; as such, I don't easily commit fully to anything. I kind of dabble to varying degrees in different things, music being one of the higher degrees. I've got the natural chops to have gone a long way with music... IF I had the passion, desire and stick-to-it-iveness. But I get bored -- I'm not the kind of player who will sit for hours trying to get one passage exactly right, I'm more like close enough is close enough. I probably would have been diagnosed as having ADD if there was such a thing back then. If I could have done anything differently, things probably would have turned out the same.

The only thing I maybe wish was that I had taken piano lessons early on instead of accordion, but with the kind of piano teacher that would have given me the same well-rounded background that my accordion teacher did -- classical technique, 'pop' styling, theory, all that, which was hard to find in piano teachers. I'd still most likely not have made a career of it, but I think I'd have a much better technical foundation on keys than I do now.

#2989760 - 05/15/19 03:59 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: sleepngbear]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Dear Phil,

Note to past self:

Do NOT sell your Juno-106.
Do NOT sell your Rhodes 88.

Go meet and hang out with the Roots. They're opening for your band, after all.

Love,
Phil

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2989768 - 05/15/19 05:17 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Dreamchilde]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I have given this some thought.

Even though life is kick back and groovy, it would have been nice if I had some wealth, and owned homes in Paris, Monte Carlo, , Maui, Florence and Amalfi. Then I could fully appreciate the classic art and great music. Each home would have a music studio of course.

I am not complaining, however

smile

#2989779 - 05/15/19 06:40 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: GregC]
J_tour Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PDX, OR
Yeah, I'm with those who wouldn't really do anything differently.

Sure, there are lots of things I wish I was better at now, but between having both learn-by-ear American music as a young kid as well as very good training when I was old enough to appreciate it as a pre-teen or tween, I can't complain.

There's some nit-picking, like I wish I did more technical, methodical things at a younger age, but my enthusiasm wouldn't have been there, and perhaps I would have come to resent it.

Naw, I think, looking back, it's all just part of some kind of gumbo, and I wouldn't want to be missing any part of it.

#2989780 - 05/15/19 07:05 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: J_tour]
hardware Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Nevada
I wouldve bought a Celeron 200A and overclocked instead instead of the 1000 dollar Coppermine 1GHz CPU that wasn’t needed since Gigastudio just streamed.

#2989782 - 05/15/19 07:11 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Docbop Offline

Loc: CA
I played guitar and bass for most my life, mixed with day gigs later. I didn't come to piano until recently for what I now realize was really crappy teacher in college. So in general I would do everything different and definitely start playing piano early on, along with probably sax.

#2989783 - 05/15/19 07:45 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Docbop]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

To all you guys who have no regrets, I say if Frankie had a few, then I’ll have a few too!

Seriously, life is good and it all worked out. And I’m enjoying playing probably more than I ever have.

Maybe one more regret. I wish I had started participating in Keyboard Corner a lot sooner!

Edited by waygetter (05/15/19 07:49 PM)
Edit Reason: edited something that made no sense and I regretted writing it

#2989785 - 05/15/19 08:01 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Ed A. Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Connecticut,USA
I should have done acid in the 70's when it was good quality and readily available, but I just said no. facepalm

#2989798 - 05/15/19 11:35 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: GregC]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: GregC
... it would have been nice if I had some wealth, and owned homes in Paris, Monte Carlo, , Maui, Florence and Amalfi.
Two homes in Italy? Don't you think that's overdoing it?

#2989804 - 05/16/19 03:36 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: El Lobo]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Hard to say how things would be different if I had done anything different. I would say I wish I would have practiced more when I was taking lessons as a kid. But have you ever seen the movie "Butterfly Effect"? I've had some good experiences that maybe I wouldn't have had if things had gone differently.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2989823 - 05/16/19 07:20 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: El Lobo]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
... it would have been nice if I had some wealth, and owned homes in Paris, Monte Carlo, , Maui, Florence and Amalfi.

you are right, it is excessive. The wife prefers Florence and I prefer Amalfi. So the compromise is both.

Imaginary life can be tough.

#2989825 - 05/16/19 07:33 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: GregC]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Yes Italy is very different region to region. My mothers friend had a house in the south, the North and an apartment in Milan.

noblevibes.com

#2989841 - 05/16/19 09:03 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Outkaster]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Some others have brought up the topic of loyalty. That might be one area where I would do things differently. Looking back, I was super loyal, turned down some opportunities probably to the detriment of a more lucrative and rewarding career.

The tradeoff, some of those old band bro's are friends for life. Was it worth it? nahhh... haha

#2989866 - 05/16/19 11:28 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: GregC]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

you are right, it is excessive. The wife prefers Florence and I prefer Amalfi. So the compromise is both.

Imaginary life with 2 wives would be tough.

I can only manage 1 home and 1 wife.

#2989869 - 05/16/19 11:42 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: El Lobo]
djdisbro Offline

Loc: GA
[quote=GregC]... it would have been nice if I had some wealth, and owned homes in Paris, Monte Carlo, , Maui, Florence and Amalfi.

Quote:

I can only manage 1 home and 1 wife.

This is not my imaginary house... This is not my imaginary wife...

Edited by djdisbro (05/16/19 11:50 AM)

#2989874 - 05/16/19 12:03 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: djdisbro]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I wish I'd developed more self-discipline as a child. I wish I'd taken the years of classical more seriously.

I wish I'd tempered my career ambition and need for status and approval with kindness and empathy earlier in my life.

I wish I had spent so much of my time more wisely.

While I concur that focusing on regrets can be a waste of time. But occasionally (like using a little garlic), these kinds of things can fuel forward progress with the time that remains.

More than anything, I'm grateful. I have been given much, so much more than I deserve, that thinking on the things I don't have, didn't choose, didn't pursue is poor form.

I have time now, so time to build something to leave behind. Impact on others, a reputation, some kindness.

#2989875 - 05/16/19 12:09 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: El Lobo]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

[quote=GregC]... it would have been nice if I had some wealth, and owned homes in Paris, Monte Carlo, , Maui, Florence and Amalfi.

I can only manage 1 home and 1 wife. [/quote]

#2989901 - 05/16/19 02:59 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: hardware]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Buy lots more Apple stock when it was $10 and even $40 a share.

(I did buy some back then as a "token" of supporting a company I believed in, and it astounds me what it's worth now…)

#2989909 - 05/16/19 03:55 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Joe Muscara]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

(I did buy some back then as a "token" of supporting a company I believed in, and it astounds me what it's worth now…)

not exactly on topic, and I am not much for individual stocks. But I like S&P index funds as corporate America is all about quarterly profits. Which the index generally follows.

#2989951 - 05/17/19 03:02 AM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Dreamchilde]
Dave Keys Offline

Loc: Birmingham UK
Originally Posted By: Dreamchilde
Dear Phil,

Note to past self:

Do NOT sell your Juno-106.
Do NOT sell your Rhodes 88.

Go meet and hang out with the Roots. They're opening for your band, after all.

Love,
Phil

+1 on the Juno 106. I had a mint condition model which I bought in 1990 for £130.
It was a nice synth, but I was craving a keyboard with real sounds, so kept trading in the Juno/JX/juno60 analogs, until I got a U20 - I had arrived lol!

I’ve made lots of bizarre decisions and it would be really easy to beat myself up over them, and I have done at times.
Ultimately though, it’s important not to have regrets because we don’t live life and make decisions in hindsight. Every decision I made in my life had some rhyme and reason to it at the time, even if some of those decisions look daft today.

What lessons can I draw from my past for today, and for going forward?

That’s the question I think.
Roland Jupiter 8
Roland JX3P

#2990091 - 05/17/19 03:11 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: GregC]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

One of my favorite movie lines. I use it all the time, especially when it comes to playing music.

#2990103 - 05/17/19 07:29 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: El Lobo]
MikeT156 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Central PA, USA
As they say, hindsight is 20-20. But the fact is the family I grew up in had more influence on what I ended up doing for a career than me. My parents had me take music lessons when I was young, but it was with a teacher that was not qualified to teach on a instrument I did not like at all.

I decided to go to work in the family small business because when I was going through high school, most academic students wanted to be school teachers and I couldn't wait to graduate and get out. A college degree was not necessary in those days, but I was not planning 40 or 50 years ahead when I got out of high school.

I'm over 70 now and most of the small businesses I grew up around are gone. Its difficult to get any kind of job where I can make a contribution to the company in order to be worth more than a low paying job.

And Finally, I wish I was able to keep ONE of my Oberheims, but the IRS had other ideas. Always pay your taxes on time.

#2990111 - 05/17/19 08:38 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Joe Muscara]
Ed A. Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Connecticut,USA
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

Apple stock could jump as much as 530%

Glad I bought some a while back.

#2990210 - 05/18/19 06:42 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: Ed A.]
David Emm Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Solder Huffer's Gulch
I'd listen to other people's blather less and more to my own inner voice. Alan Moore once said "The audience doesn't know what it needs. if it did, it would be the artist." I know who my "betters" are and that's never been an issue; its all been *training*. I've always been oddly ahead somehow, because I recognized that key module early on. Doug Stanhope once said "You know you have a problem when your therapist tells you that the voices in your head are not only real, they're ACCURATE!" I don't have to outdo anyone else; I only have to outdo myself. Imagine the world of music, even the world entire, if only more people could make that huge, simple leap.
keys cheers

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2990230 - 05/18/19 10:41 PM Re: Keyboardists, if you could do things again... [Re: David Emm]
TommyS Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
Would have quit some situations way earlier,,,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner