Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

After I move i'm going home for two weeks that will be sweet...just what I need to recharge bateries

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil, you mentioned an economic downturn. How extensive is it and what are the basic causes. I believe that most of the US troubles came from the press telling everyone we were in a recession. Now, I guess we are. Things in my part of the country are stll very good. Building is good, unemployment is low, etc, The biggest stimulus must the the money OBama is spending to get the Demo nomination. :o

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I'm busy at work & haven't been on the forum recently...

I've been assigned a new project that has me living at an RV park for the next 2 years.

So, I strung up my ABG with some of those Fender Tapewounds & brought it down with me. I'm kicking myself for not getting a set of those strings sooner!

We're starting to get enquires for June.

There has been a bit of 'adjustment' going on. The interest rates have been steadily rising and the banks have stopped doing 100% mortgages. People are generally holding on to their money, or paying off debt. Last month the Bank of England decreased their base rate, but the banks didn't follow. They're all running a bit scared as we were heavily exposed to the US sub prime. London houses some of the major US bank's European headquarters and they have all been announcing billions of pounds of write offs and reducing their head counts although the press have been strangely quiet over this.

As Davo pointed out in another thread I am now paying £1.15 per litre of Deisel, that's around $10 per US gallon.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Phil, My wife and I basically live on our Social Security plus the added income I have from buying and selling Basses. For us, the severe increase in the cost of food (30% to $40%), is very problematic. I think the cost of fuel is largely responsible for that. We have limited our driving to adjust our transpotation cost. I guess living in London is a lot like living in New York City, you really don't need a car. In our city, you have to drive everywhere, nothing is within walking distance. I don't think live music has suffered yet, everyone s seems to find the money to go out and have a good time.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Our gas prices rose to about $3.45 per gallon today with Diesel at $4.50 Just a few years ago Diesel was much cheaper that gasoline now it's more expensive. I think the increase has been from taxes.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

We're starting to get enquires for June.

There has been a bit of 'adjustment' going on. The interest rates have been steadily rising and the banks have stopped doing 100% mortgages. People are generally holding on to their money, or paying off debt. Last month the Bank of England decreased their base rate, but the banks didn't follow. They're all running a bit scared as we were heavily exposed to the US sub prime. London houses some of the major US bank's European headquarters and they have all been announcing billions of pounds of write offs and reducing their head counts although the press have been strangely quiet over this.

As Davo pointed out in another thread I am now paying £1.15 per litre of Deisel, that's around $10 per US gallon.

Although the bank of england has lowered the reference rate from 5.75% last november to 5% currently. The rate at banks lend money to each other has raised LIBOR (London Interbank Offered Rate) therefore while in past banks where able to cut deals because of the amounts borrowed today due to short suply of money banks are playing it save and only lending at values where they have profit.

100% rates have ended and FTB (first time buyer) rates are as low as 7.00%, this will not be coming down so soon, also the subprime has had an cut of about 60% of the rates available comparing to 2007. For a decent rate you will need to have at least 75% if not less of the amount of the value of the house, and the fees for good products are being as high as 5k.

During the next year we will not see a sudden coming down in the rates but a steady and controlled raise in money supply, mostly boosted by the govermnt by issuing bonds to patch up the loans between banks.

My advice would be if you have money...save it for another year and by cheaper. Or if you see someone being repossessed that's a good time to buy. Not a good time to sell. Houses will come down in prices to boost the market.

Not good times for the industry. I ear everyday of redundancies.

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

[quote name=DavidMPires (edited for English ;) )]

in the past, banks were able to cut deals because of the amounts borrowed. Today, due to short supply of money, banks are playing it safe and are only lending at values where they make profit.

I heard that the short supply of money is due to none of them believing what the others are saying. Particularly following Sub-Prime and Northern Rock type gambles.

Hopefully I'll get my hands on a massive mansion at auction after some greedy banker has gone bankrupt. Though I doubt it :D

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Great rhythm section, Phil! :D

Guitar's nothing to write home about and the singer sounds a bit strained, like he's singing from his throat and not his chest. Still, that may be due to the "difficult circumstances" you mention?

Love the bass and the sound from the kit. Great rimshots! :thu:

Thanks Vince.

It was great to see a drummer turn up with just kick, snare and high-hat - yes! It was fun to play with him. The ABG did a good job - I put the rig in the corner while I sat in the middle of the stage (and that helped rather than have the rig behind me as I was able to crank it without feedback). I palm muted at least some of the time to accentuate the lows.

If any of you, decide to move, think again, i've been moving since wednesday and only last light got everything in. Bloody steep stairs. the british way of building houses is not the most user friendly. We should all praise the removal men who put in a great deal of strenght and push trough a lot of stairs, and wreck our furniture. I feel like an 18 wheeler had just drive through my body. I don't have parts of my body aching, my whole body aches. feels like is going to tear apart in pieces.

good thing is that i'm in a lovely place with a lovely flat and a lovely lady. (who worked more than many men do). In the end it's all worth it.

Where's the nearest massage place?

Thanks Phil, I'm going home for two weeks in the end of the moth for a well deserved break. Can't wait!

now here's something i know a lot about i've moved too many times to count coast to coast like buttered toast my daughter gives massages, no jokes please, but you would have to come to the states anyway good luck on your new digs david
fender pbass, michael kelly dragonfly, mim fender jazz

Moving is one of the most enlightening experienced anyone will ever have. Realizing that you've accumulated CRAP you never knew you had and don't know what to do with it.

Kudos on your move and new place Dave, find the local pub, get pissed and consummate every room in the house!! :)

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Cheers Brocko, I'm likely to start a pub search tonight :D so far within 5 minutes from mine, there's 3 wine merchants, that has to be a good thing.

We cooked for the first time at home last night and we are starting to enjoy the new place, lots of room and a quite area.

And i've cut down on the commute time too.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying out looping with the ABG last night, that was fun - surprising the range of tones you can get out of it when you have to. Been a funny few days - off work on a half-term break but we have a plumber around fitting a new boiler. Lots of time to play.

What I really should be doing is taking singing lessons though.

Off to a Gamelan workshop this afternoon.

On friday I'n going away to madeira until the 7th and then head off to lisbon. not coming back to grey london until the 17th well deserved break. I'm taking my Wii with so i can play some tenis while i'm away :D