Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

Well, I'm not that new, but I do spend most of my time on a thread I started. That being time posting.

I lurk a lot.

And then post when I really think I might have something to add. I didn't think it was about a lot of posts. Just good ones.

But I'd be happy to bump up my count with tons of inane posts :laugh: Hell, I'm easy...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And then post when I really think I might have something to add. I didn't think it was about a lot of posts. Just good ones.

But I'd be happy to bump up my count with tons of inane posts :laugh: Hell, I'm easy...

:grin:

No mate. Nothing wrong with lurking and some people I know post way too much. Just that some guys in the past (and in the present) have mostly appeared to start threads about themselves and returned to do more of the same - and have contributed little else.

Yes, nothing wrong with reading threads and not posting on them. I should do more of that. Just that people should familiarise themselves a little with the forum before posting and show a little awareness of avoiding posts that look promotional in nature.

Of course sometimes people find a certain thread through a search engine, contribute mostly there and then later explore more of the forum. That's great.

Lurking rules!

You know, I'm being a bit dim about this. We have always had a wide variety of posters and we always will. This is a great forum and the mods do a great job to keep it free of the more overt spam. Ignore my post, I was just trying to have a little experiment and the last thing I was trying to do was discourage lurking and encourage unnecessary posting.

I'll play some bass instead! ;)

It was fun when we used to be able to see who was online.

You can see who's online, you Phil are offline at 19:46 13/03/2008

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

well SPK, the world can breathe easy now that you have joined the Irons. You'll make Eddie proud. :)

Phil (7699), who makes un-necessary posts? :)

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Going to see Iron Maiden tonight for the first time, very excited. Let's see if Bruce still has it...

Unbelievable show, great set list, everyone was on their game. You know the saying, don't wear the t-shirt of the band your going to see? Well, that doesn't apply to Iron Maiden :)

They had the Powerslave stage backdrop, looked like they were playing outside the pyramids in Egypt, vey cool. I won't reveal the set list for those that plan to see them in '08, but it is fantastic.

OT for an OT thread: I wanted to buy the tour t-shirt, Somewhere Back in Time, but not at $40, so I was looking forward to seeing the guys that sell them outside the venue after the show. As we were leaving the parking lot, we saw the blackmarketeers selling the shirts for $20. I offered $10, and I got the shirt as the car was still rolling and was very happy...until I realized I received a medium, but I'll wear my tight shirt with pride :snax:

I have only seen them about 6 times. At one show in the late 80's Bruce singled me and my mate out for a bit of a speech. He complained that the audience was full of kids and their parents. But it was nice to see some real die hard fans in the audience singing along to the old songs and wearing leather Jackets.

I have an Adrian Smith pick, one of my freinds tied Bruce's shoelace when it came undone. Classic, they are fun guys.

The worst experience I had was my brother ringing me up when I was in bed with Flu asking if I wanted backstage passes to a gig at Hammersmith Odeon that evening. That really sucked.

As you can tell, I was a bit of a fan. Although, I lost interest when the 5 split and rejoined etc etc...

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Well this week has been rough!

Monday, I fixed the guitarists 1970's Fender Twin amp. Good!

Tuesday, they made 1500 people redundant where I work. Bad!

Wednesday, I was rung for a booking. Good!

Thursday, The guy rang back to say they were using another band. Closely followed by someone ringing to see if we were free the next week, only to find the drummer isn't. We'll do it with a dep. OK!

Friday, project guys had me run ragged, I mean on a Friday! Bad!

Today, Son ran into a wall, split his head open, hospital were good with the glue. Catalytic converter has gone up the swanee so am up for some serious outlay. Very Bad!

Sunday - I'm going to have a lie in until Monday.....

OK, I have to finish some work so I'm multi-tasking! Just finished some sight-reading; I'm determined to do at least half an hour per day. Then maybe I can eventually get those 'reading' gigs. Spent a while with Ed Friedland's books and simpler tunes from Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Tim, what a week!

How is your son now? Those head injuries sure bleed a lot! Glad the hospital was good, when my son had a head injury they'd, fortunately enough, just opened up a brand new hospital.

Is your job secure? Or are all the redundancies increasing your workload, as is the norm?

Take it easy, mate! Hope the dep drummer is decent!

The 'grown ups' were worse than he was. It all got a bit messy. Some numpty called an ambulance and the hospital wouldn't cancel it without the 'fathers permission' so I had to leave my son to tell them not to come. By the time I got to the car, to take him to the hospital, the paramedic had arrived. I got in trouble from Mrs. R. because she thought the paramedic could have glued it up there and then, and I missed my daughter winning two gold medals for dancing. Which was why we were out in the first place. Brilliant! Kids eh?

He is fine, used his 'Laughing Engine' and was 'Brave'.

He'll be 4 in July in case anyone reading this is puzzled.

well SPK, the world can breathe easy now that you have joined the Irons. You'll make Eddie proud. :)

Phil (7699), who makes un-necessary posts? :)

Will I? I need to find more music! I have ran out of youtube.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

My son was 4 when he did the same. Except we were at home. My wife was in a right state but I surprised myself at being fairly calm. Yes, the blood was everywhere! We called an ambulance as we don't have a car. Then the ambulance took forever to arrive and the ambulance guy gave us grief thinking we'd just called then (before he arrived) rather than the age before when we did call.

He loved the whole hospital experience, while we suffered! :grin:

Shame you missed the gold medal performance.

Why, why WHY do club owners expect the band to bring in a huge number of people to THEIR club???

We had 7-10 people show up last night and there was maybe 20 people in the bar.

Maybe because they have no SIGNAGE at the street. The lighted road marquee had the single word WILDTIME (my band) only on one side. (I asked.."we don't have anymore letters" was my answer)

What does that word mean to anyone?? I would have rather seen "LIVE BAND". That would have given a clue.

And they wonder why??? We got paid our fee for the night. But it just amazes me the BS. well we are tighter as a group with that paid 'rehearsal' so I cannot complain anymore than I have.

Phew RANT over!

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Why, why WHY do club owners expect the band to bring in a huge number of people to THEIR club???

We had 7-10 people show up last night and there was maybe 20 people in the bar.

Maybe because they have no SIGNAGE at the street. The lighted road marquee had the single word WILDTIME (my band) only on one side. (I asked.."we don't have anymore letters" was my answer)

What does that word mean to anyone?? I would have rather seen "LIVE BAND". That would have given a clue.

And they wonder why??? We got paid our fee for the night. But it just amazes me the BS. well we are tighter as a group with that paid 'rehearsal' so I cannot complain anymore than I have.

Phew RANT over!

Brocko

Many bar owners are just knuckleheads. There are a some who are true businessmen, but alot of them are just alcoholics or coke-heads and use the bar as a way to support their habit. My $.02 worth. :rolleyes:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Now I know its a conspiracy...

My daily internet surfing has shown me that most of the big-name online music stores have the same items in their clearance section (musiciansfriend, music123, zzsounds, etc). Same owners/warehouse?

Next I'll uncover that all strings are made in the same factory as well ;)

Joy of joys i'm moving again. This time from the south east of england to the south. For those who know, I'll be moving to Sevenoaks, very nice British city, and i'll be 5 minutes walk from the train station which will make my journey to work easier. I found a nice pub in town, and there's a music shop with a luthier who does repairs and builds guitars, I'm thinking of taking my acoustic bass there so I can see his work.

Still on the move, the company i work for are moving (probably on the same weekend i'm moving house), we are going to placed in west London, which is far from where I live but funny enough after I move I'll be able to cut my journey by 45minutes, sweet hey?

The thing i'm more excited about is because the offices have this bar with some pool tables on the ground floor, that will be wicked, playing pool when i'm feeling stressed out after work :)

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Sevenoaks Trivia:

To the east of the town is Knole Park, a 1000-acre (4 km²) park inhabited by deer and several million trees. In its centre is Knole House, the home of the Sackville family (the Earls of Dorset) since it was given to them by Queen Elizabeth I in 1577. The estate is owned and maintained by the National Trust, although the Sackvilles still live there.

In January 1967 The Beatles made promotional films for 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Penny Lane' in Knole Park. In a Sevenoaks antiques shop John Lennon bought a Victorian circus advertisement which provided the inspiration for 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!', on the famous Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album released later that year.

Famous natives:

Bill Bruford,

HG Wells,

Peter Sissons (newsreader)

David M Pires and his missus

Also Tilda Swinton, Daniel Day Lewis and Princess Diana went to school there!

I think Sevenoaks is more of a town than a city

As all in england,

I have a saying: "England is London and the rest is landscape"