Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! Toyota is evidently going to buy back my wife's '98 Tacoma pick-up truck for 150% of book value due to some kind of recall involving the frame rusting out. It's not often that it rains money where I live.

I'm so happy. I hate that truck. Really glad I didn't put new tires on it.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

OK, so I don't think it requires a new thread, but sad to note that NBC news and political guy Tim Russert had dies. I'm a bit of a political junkie. I learned a lot listening to him and to his questions.

this is off topic information, my mum put perentalcontrol on the computer...now i ahve to get her to passwrod everything....why ahs she done this?

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

I saw Iron Maiden again last night at MSG (that's Madison Square Garden for the lay person). During the middle of a song, the PA cut out; guitars, vox, drums, the whole bit. Dickinson went backstage and grabbed a soccer ball and started playing a little 2 on 2 until the power was restored, totalling about 8-12 minutes of sports entertainment. Interesting.

Monosodium Glutamate

Michael Schenker Group

No fencing demonstartion. Poor show!

I was on the verge of getting a ticket to see them at Twickenham, but realised I have a gig and have never heard of the other bands playing.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

this is off topic information, my mum put perentalcontrol on the computer...now i ahve to get her to passwrod everything....why ahs she done this?

So that you spend less time on the internet and more time on your spellung.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Totally OT... My boss at one of my day jobs (2), a more-than-wealthy man who likes to play "kinda nice guy", and who had me as a music teacher of his three pampered and ill-bred children for a while (I couldn´t stand it, being really uncomfortable to spend a couple hours of my time going to their Über luxurious 3-storey pent-house to give them classes when the kids were not really interested (they treat their instruments like crap, not that these really are... I just started giving excuses and finally the kids openly told him they were more interested in other things...)

fact is.. I have 10 years working at this company. Not the best wages, and quite a crazy schedule for most people (2 pm to 10 pm, as an arrangement I did at the start because I had another part-time job in the mornings...), but it has worked out fine for me. My department (IT Tech) is only 6 of us, and our boss, who happens to be a woman that started working for the company since it's very beginning, hence developing some attachment to it up to the point of being "irreplaceable" as the über boss has publicly said more often than not. Hence... no chance of climbing up (not that I am much interested on climbing up neither). Then all of a sudden... Big Boss befriends another company, some sort of a merger is likely happening, probably some departments moving into another location (not IT Tech, by the way...) .. and we are surrounded, on only two days, by a new camera surveillance system which records video and audio for 8 days non-stop, stores it in a server and so on... So everything that is done and spoken here, is being recorded now...

It feels QUITE uncomfortable (My other job is on the internet, translating, and I can do it from anyplace in the world as long as I deliver the translated text within the ETA), to be watched (or not) at any time, for anything you may do or say...

Do any of you have felt this? Long story short, I am waiting for a couple things to happen, to finally quit this job, but while it happens.. I know I have to withstand... but it sucks big, big time....

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Why is it they suddenly feel the need to put surveillance on their employees? That's crazy, and I'd tell why I didn't like it and bail.

Of course, then I'd be out of a job without another lined up, and be in financial trouble...

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

I went to a new studio with the band and played through an Ashdown MAG rig (600 head, 4x10 cab). Being that it is on the cheaper side, I was not expecting it to be heaven on earth, but it did sound really good. I thought it suffered a bit on the lows, but simple EQ and hand positioning changed that in a jiffy.

So, to all you lurkers out there looking for an inexpensive rig, try out the MAG series, well worth it in my book (not that I have a book...)

I've been trying...i'm honest I do. I've tried coutless combinations of ashdown products hoping that one day i'd find something i like. Unfortunately I never did...

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Very nice Phil, that ABG sounds fantastic :thu:

I've also clicked around and watched some of the London Lowdown Jams as well; there were a nice collection of fish present, and they sounded just as good as they looked (it might of had a little bit to do with the players ;) )

I saw Tony Levin last night playing a show with Liquid Tension Experiment at BB Kings Blues Club in Times Square. That man just kills on the Stick. His Stingray sounded amazing as well. I believe he was playing an Ampeg head (not sure of the model, it looked vintage ;) )through an SWR 410.

That's one of my favourites. I really like the "Whatever it is, I'm Against It" song. :D

Cool vids of your gig too, BTW. I even like the setting. Is it a restaurant? It's cool! :thu: I even like the way that the bass sounds a little overdriven. Gives it more body, no? That's a really broadbacked tone. :)

Great film. The gags never stop.

Thanks for the comments, Vince. I think you were referring to the first vid which was from a gig in a theatre bar. Nice Turkish food there.

Yes, I likes the tone. The hollow stage added some oomph and even though I didn't go through the PA, the mics picked up a little of the onstage bass sound and amplified it.

I'm in the process of aquiring on Craigslist an old upright piano (free!!!) that me and the misses will turn into a piano bar for our newly expanded poolside patio. How cool is that!

Word of advice. When moving a piano with those movers straps, don't roll up your sleeves. I've now got some serious hickies on the inside of my forearms.

I've now got some serious hickies on the inside of my forearms.

I get those carrying heavy boxes (wrapping my arms around them, I get marks on the inside of my biceps).

It's hard from me to think about moving a piano without getting a cartoon vision of a baby grand hanging out a window, or Laurel & Hardy moving one.

Sounds like a cool idea. Given your weather, you'll be keeping a tuner employed!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom

The piano bar will be more bar than piano. I'm stripping out the guts with a tentative plan to put an ice trough where the keys are where we'll plant beers. Rest of the space will hold the glasses and various bar accouterments. The hammer assembly will likely be mounted above the fireplace as an art-thingy, and the big huge brass thing that the strings mount on will likely become a garden sculpture.

Good thing the arm hickies go perpendicular to my arm, as they'd look a bit too much like track marks if they went parallel.....