Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Being watched

Dave Bryce

So, we're playing our first set at this club on the pier in Redondo Beach that we play once a month, and I see this lanky old guy with long white hair and beard watching us - mostly me - who looks a lot like Leon Russell, but without the hat and shades. He stayed for most of the hour and fifteen minute set...don't know when he left...

Anyway, someone comes up to me after the set and tells me that it was Leon. He, too, was playing a club on the Redondo Beach pier last night and came by to check us out. :cool:

I'm glad I didn't know it was him for sure at the time. Might have made me a bit self conscious... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad I didn't know it was him for sure at the time. Might have made me a bit self conscious... ;)

Yeah, whenever I know there's other musos in the house I get very self-conscious about my playing. Can't imagine how much worse it would be if the muso listening was someone like Leon.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

That is what the social psychologists refer to as "evaluation apprehension." Definitely a performance-inhibiting phenomena, although IIRC, variables including (1.) practice, and (2.) the extent to which the person being watched contributes uniquely-identifiable output can moderate the effect.

Leon's a cool dude. Had the opportunity to meet him when he played at my night club about 20 years ago. He was playing some Roland DP with a million pedals, at the time.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Dave,

I had that happen to me once. We were playing down in Austin, and Gregg Rollie was in town to see his son's band perform.

Well, as I'm scanning the audience I see a face that I recognize, but didn't put it together right away.

Then all of a sudden it hit me. I about crapped my pants when I realized the man himself was watching me play one of his signature Journey songs.

I had to concentrate on not looking up in his direction for fear of totally just fubar'ing the notes ;)

Anyway, Leon Russell.... that's very cool!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Very cool, Dave. I can relate. I played a Minimoog Voyager for an audience that included Wendy Carlos.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I can relate in being glad I didn't know who was watching me until after the performance ... apparently once Greg Allman and Ted Nugent were in the audience because they came to see a blues artist who was playing in the club down the street ... and now I can't remember who that was! :mad:

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

dB - did I tell you about the time that the bass player I was working a restaurant gig with brought Billy Preston with him to the gig? The whole, 4 hours, every time I got done playing a solo or whatever, I'd look up and there no more that 8 feet away from me was Billy Preston.

A couple of weeks ago, that gig I did down in Nashville, Delbert McClinton was there for the whole gig. That's the second gig I've done with Delbert in the house. The first time, I was on the road with my boy Seth Walker, and we were swinging through Nashville. We were playing a bunch of stuff he'd recently recorded with Delbert's band, and so Delbert and the band came out. Nothing stranger than playing a bunch of stuff Kevin McKendree had recorded with Kevin sitting right there.

Anyway, that's a couple of the stories I have...

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Another good one of mine is that when I worked for Alesis, I had a demo sequence of the Overture from Tommy (unusual keyboard demo, huh? That was kind of the idea... ;) ) that I could either do by myself or with a drummer (usually Nick D'Virgilio). At one NAMM show, Nick and I were doing the tune, and we looked up to find John Entwistle watching us.

:eek:

He left before we were done.

dB

Back when I was still with my latin rock band, we were playing at the Taste of Chicago the same day as Santana. We were in the middle of our set, and I called Black Magic Woman. I started the intro, and the conga player is shaking his head "no!", but now the crowd is going nuts for the tune, I've already played the intro, the drummer comes in, and the conga player is shaking his head "no!" Of course, there's about 1500 people in front of our stage, and I just turned to him and mouthed "F. U. Play the song." The guys fall in, we get through it, play the rest of the show. It turns out the two percussionists and the bassplayer from Santana were on the side of the stage thinking some vendor is playing some bootleg Santana, so they came to do...whatever it is they would have done. They were super gracious, very complimentary, invited us to watch from the side of the stage all good. Right? Wrong. TV cameras were there, and the City of Chicago owned all rights to all broadcast, and they were looping certain segments they had taped endlessly for months. And apparently a highlight was our version of BMW, complete with a close of a keyboard player mouthing the words "F.U. PLAY THE SONG!" and you didn't need to be lip reader to see what I was saying. :wave:
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Leon playing the Redondo Beach Pier?! Where? And where were you playing??

My guess::

-dB at Kilkenny's

-Leon at Starboard Attitude. But really, Leon at Starboard Attitude? I can't picture him playing anywhere on that seafood laden pier.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Well, I'm pretty sure I've told my Stevie Wonder and my Bill Payne stories already. :deadhorse:

Ditto me for my short novel of a post about Chick Corea at Jax in Glendale.

Dave or Bobby, is the Starboard Attitude the one upstairs with the old wood steps ? Man I used to play there in '81 & '82. I haven't been down at the Redondo Pier in years...I'll bet it hasn't changed a bit

Damn, those are some good stories. I can't share anything even close to those :(

But I can sure give a +1 to that feeling you get when you spot a keyboard player in the crowd, especially if he's better than you are. Suddenly all your licks are not "good enough" or "worn out". :)

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

A couple years back I was playing a James Booker tune (solo piano) at a soundcheck, and Dr. John walked in. I had met him a few times before and played with him once, so it wasn't a huge deal... but still, I froze. His comment: "Man, you don't gotta stop playin' some Booker shit just 'cause I'm here!"

I would definitelly freeze if Dr. John was in the audience... I am a big fan, and I stole a bunch of his trademark licks which I probably can't reproduce as smooth as he can.
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Dave,

I had that happen to me once. We were playing down in Austin, and Gregg Rollie was in town to see his son's band perform.

I was playing for the opening of an "Incredible Universe" store (The Texans will know what that was, it was like a Circuit City on steroids). Who was watchin' me?...........................

Gomer Pyle. :laugh: They had hired him (Jim Nabors) to do some meet n greet or something. He came up and talked and was quite nice. I was surprised, surprised, surprised. :laugh:

When I worked for Alesis, I had a demo sequence of the Overture from Tommy). At one NAMM show, Nick and I were doing the tune, and we looked up to find John Entwistle watching us.

He left before we were done.

Probably more of a reflection of Entwistle having lived through The Who performing Tommy constantly for years, as opposed to anything regarding you....

Used to have Winston Walls stop in during his breaks from the club across the street where he was playing. Thank heaven he had his gig 'cause he sure could have taken mine. When he was out of work he was known to do that to hapless keyboard guys. I miss him though.

A couple years back I was playing a James Booker tune (solo piano) at a soundcheck, and Dr. John walked in. I had met him a few times before and played with him once, so it wasn't a huge deal... but still, I froze. His comment: "Man, you don't gotta stop playin' some Booker shit just 'cause I'm here!"

I love this!! That is absolutely what he'd say I bet. How cool to meet Dr. John, and to mix it up with him.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Leon playing the Redondo Beach Pier?! Where? And where were you playing??

My guess::

-dB at Kilkenny's

-Leon at Starboard Attitude. But really, Leon at Starboard Attitude? I can't picture him playing anywhere on that seafood laden pier.

Nah - it was us at the Starboard Attitude. I believe Leon was at Brixton's.

Dave or Bobby, is the Starboard Attitude the one upstairs with the old wood steps ? Man I used to play there in '81 & '82. I haven't been down at the Redondo Pier in years...I'll bet it hasn't changed a bit

Yep, it's the upstairs one ( :eek: )...but the steps aren't wooden.

dB

I was playing for the opening of an "Incredible Universe" store (The Texans will know what that was, it was like a Circuit City on steroids). Who was watchin' me?...........................

Gomer Pyle. :laugh: They had hired him (Jim Nabors) to do some meet n greet or something. He came up and talked and was quite nice. I was surprised, surprised, surprised. :laugh:

Ahh yes, the old IU stores. Gomer Pyle. Too bad Andy wasn't there as well, you could have played a few lines of the whistling intro ;)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

At one NAMM show, Nick and I were doing the tune, and we looked up to find John Entwistle watching us.

Wow, small world. I just ran into someone that saw me play back in my "rock star" days (early 90's); he goes on to tell me while he was watching us open for Foreigner (a complete blast in its own right, of course!) who should he spot one row up and 10 seats over? John freaking Entwhistle.

It kills me that I only found this out 19 years later (almost to the day, in fact! :o ).

Fast forward to 2006, and I was in a rehearsal studio here in Toronto, just goofing around on the CP300, and started playing the piano solo from "The House Is Rocking" by Stevie Ray Vaughan, which is a quote of some of Pinetop's Boogie, when who should walk in but Roy Young. :freak: Wanna talk pressure? LOL!

Archived