Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name a popular song you just can't understand why it's so loved

stepay

... Spinning Wheel

... 25 or 6 to 4

... or any song by (don't mess around with) Jim Crocé. Is he the most over-rated singer-songwriter ever? Or is that Harry Chapin?

Here for the gear.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Girl From Ipanema, as sung by any local. What do we know about the girl from Ipa.. where?

Yesterday. Blecchhhhh.

Any Rockin' Christmas tune.

Still don't "get" April in Paris, it just doesn't cross the road.

Misty would be ok but the lyrics. :sick:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

My most hated song ever is "Gimme Three Steps". There are no Skynyrd songs on my favorites list but that one is the worst.

Another very disliked song is Bob Seger's "Turn the Page". I like a lot of Seger songs, especially "Main Street" but I don't care for that one.

I really like most of Bruce Springsteen's stuff but like someone else said "Born in the USA" has to be one of the most boring songs ever written.

Girl From Ipanema, as sung by any local. What do we know about the girl from Ipa.. where?

Yesterday. Blecchhhhh.

Any Rockin' Christmas tune.

Still don't "get" April in Paris, it just doesn't cross the road.

Misty would be ok but the lyrics. :sick:

Yeah... "Never knowing my right foot from my left, My hat from my glove"......my hat from my glove????

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

And I know this is considered sacrilege, but "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen is about the most boring song ever written.

:thu: I'm with you Boring in the USA.

It's almost as bad as another B.S. gem, Pink Cadillac. Did anyone mention that yet? :bor: Bleahhh.

On the other hand, who am I to criticize - I haven't written any hit songs!

And I know this is considered sacrilege, but "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen is about the most boring song ever written.

:thu: I'm with you Boring in the USA.

It's almost as bad as another B.S. gem, Pink Cadillac. Did anyone mention that yet? :bor: Bleahhh.

Don't forget classics like "Hungry Heart" and "Dancing In The Dark". :bor: :bor: :bor:

Of all the Springstein stuff I've heard, the only songs I actually like are "Blinded By The Light" and "For You", and that's because Manfred Mann did such a bang-up job with the remakes of both tunes. He does write some cool lyrics.

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Bruce Springstein is real popular with Philly and NJ people, no matter what the song is. Where I live, there are a lot of Philly people and I get a lot of requests for Bruce's music. I enjoy "My Hometown", the lyrics are quite true, and the instrumentation is simple and straight forward. It's about the way things are in American anymore, which is really too bad. Now, some of his other songs...... :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Janis Joplin - The poor thing sang with a lot of passion, but she sounded like a asthmatic banshee gargling drain cleaner while passing the intestinal remnants of a weekend in Tijuana.

Great now I have to clean my PC keyboard. You had to make me laugh while eating lunch, didn't you?

Any song that makes someone punch themselves in the balls must be a great song indeed. What hilarity must ensure. I think I shall create a new compliation CD of the songs contained in this thread just to watch people engage in acts of self-directed violence.

I think at my next gig, I shall perform a medly of Turn The Page, Born in the USA, American Pie, Sweet Home Alabama and every Duran Duran song ever written.

I'm pretty sure that all the songs mentioned in this thread are on the International list of "Must Play" songs for keyboard players. Hey, you wanted to play keys, so don't blame me.

In the spirit of the season, my vote goes to "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. :sick:

Just to think, that cheesy synth was a Prophet 5. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

In the spirit of the season, my vote goes to "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. :sick:

You're so right about that song. Makes me cringe every time I hear it, which, this time of year, is about once a day! Ugh.

Noah

You're so right about that song. Makes me cringe every time I hear it, which, this time of year, is about once a day! Ugh.

Noah

That song is actually painful to listen to. What was he thinking with the off tempo delay? :sick:

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Speaking of horrid christmas songs...

Has anyone heard that frickin' Canook Celine Dion's butchery of "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)"?!

As if I needed another reason to hate her... :freak:

Speaking of horrid christmas songs...

Has anyone heard that frickin' Canook Celine Dion's butchery of "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)"?!

As if I needed another reason to hate her... :freak:

:D:laugh::eek:

STOP IT STOP IT

YOU GUYS ARE KILLIN' ME OVER HERE. :D:laugh::eek:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Oh - for the record....

To all my Canadian friends on the board - no, I don't consider everyone north of Duluth to be a Canook, just the idiots like Celine and Anne Murray and Nickelback you keep exporting to the states.

I'm quite certain Canadian music is a lot like Guinness - the stuff you get in Canada is great, but the stuff they package up and schlep off on us Yankees is pure crap!

... Spinning Wheel

... 25 or 6 to 4

:confused: Watch it -- there are a few trumpet players 'round these parts...myself included :rawk:

Watch it -- there are a few trumpet players 'round these parts...myself included :rawk:

Ah, only here for the sight-reading, I presume? ;)

I play keys mainly...trumpet rarely.

SWEET CAROLINE ????????? I never got that one.

When I hear or have to play that piece of sh... I want to shoot myself.

You obviously have never been to Fenway Park. I forced my band to play this recently. Never liked it before but it is now a "must" on our set list. The New Yorkers in the audience really give it a great reaction...

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Just off the top of my head...

"American Woman". Popular for over 35 years. Still gets heavy airplay on oldies and classic rock stations. I don't get it. It drives me nuts.

"Truly" is a double punch because not only is it bad, but because Lionel Ritchie also made a ton of money on it by basically stealing the melody of "My Way"

"Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me". Fortunately people have finally caught on as to how really bad this song is. It isn't played much anymore. There is some relief.

"Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"- horribly repetitive, long and odd topic for a hit song

"Wonderful Tonight"

That horrid Rod Stewart seduction number-oh, yeah "Tonight's the Night" positively creepy, he was what, 40-something writing a song about deflowering some young thing. Eccch.*

"Colour My World" (didn't they use the pretentious British spelling?)

"Stairway to Heaven"

"Patches"- so bad it's almost good

"Seasons In the Sun"- thought my kids were gonna jump out of the moving car when it came on the satellite radio and the wife and I started singing along and laughing**

"Playground In My Mind"

"MacArthur Park"- one thought: WTF is this song about?

"Bad Bad Leroy Brown"- it was cute when he played it live on the Smothers Brothers' show (IIRC), but it quickly lost it's appeal with overplaying, mostly because he died. To my chagrin, our local "classic rock" station has it in their regular playlist for some reason.

*OK, he was 31. So sue me.

**Ha Ha! My wife is now officially pissed because I planted "Seasons In the Sun" in her head and it may be there for days.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

As far as "Stairway To Heaven" goes, the only version I like now is Tiny Tim accompanied by polka/world music/all-around-party band Brave Combo. It's an up-tempo lounge version that has to be heard to be believed.

Try here for a sample:

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Tiny-Tim-Brave-Combo/dp/B0000003L7

Just double-checked the amazon.com sample. It really gives a nice flavor of the tune.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Archived