Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name a popular song you just can't understand why it's so loved

stepay

For me it is...

Bob Seger's Turn The Page.

I love Bob Seger, but I absolutely hate that song, and I don't understand at all why so many people like it, and it is in fact often mentioned as his best song. I think it's one of the worst songs I've ever heard from anyone anywhere.

So, got one like that?

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having spent a lot of time on the road in my younger days, the lyrics of "Turn The Page" have some meaning for me, so that's NOT on my list. But, staying with Bob for a bit, I absolutely despise "Old Time Rock-n-Roll." It's been played and butchered by so many bands in so many venues that I'm sick of it. But, as my friend Mr. Mojo in Alaska called it, it's a Coho Salmon song. It plays, and the crowd is like "I must go on the dance floor! I don't know why!"

Other's that I can't stand for some reason, but the rest of the world seems to love is just about everything U2 has ever done, as well as any Fleetwood Mac with Stevie Nicks singing. Just grates on my nerves. It comes on the radio and I can't get to the off button fast enough.

And I know this is considered sacrilege, but "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen is about the most boring song ever written.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by Mr. Nightime:

Other's that I can't stand for some reason, but the rest of the world seems to love is just about everything U2 has ever done, as well as any Fleetwood Mac with Stevie Nicks singing. Just grates on my nerves. It comes on the radio and I can't get to the off button fast enough.

Have to agree with the Mac and cheese,and U2. :freak: I really never liked much from Bruce Springsteen or Bob Seeger either.

Elton Johns ballad Candle in the Wind is another for me

I'm with Stepay on Turn the Page. Man, I hate that song. I think the newer U2 stuff is really bland, uninteresting. I'm on Fire by Springsteen is another for me. Never played that one in a band but it was popular in the day.
"Those who don't believe timing is everything have never changed a diaper."

I find Free Bird to be one of the most boring and un-interesting songs out there.

I'm always amazed when folks equate it and Stairway to Heaven as the two "greatest rock songs ever" (which happens a lot, aparently. I'm not a huge Stairway fan either).

Rockytop. Just shoot me.

Like a Rock. I didn't mind it the first 30 thousand times I heard it. Thanks Chevy. Matter of fact, ANY Seger after Ramblin' Gamblin' Man.

Rock and Roll. Thanks Cadillac.

Tush. If you call that tune while I'm in the band, I'll be havin' a beer break.

Moe

---

as well as any Fleetwood Mac with Stevie Nicks singing. Just grates on my nerves.

Did you ever catch the Letterman show back in the 80's when they had Chris Elliot dressed as Stevie Nicks (lace glove and all) doing one of her music videos? Hilarity ensued.

Moe

---

...just about everything U2 has ever done...

Come on, man. "One" is the stuff of legend. "Bullet the Blue Sky" is the best Zep-tribute song ever written - only Bono's lyrics are better than anything Plant ever wrote. "With Or Without You" was possibly the best ballad of its era, with some possible competition from "Every Breath..."

You may not like U2, but surely you can comprehend why they're so loved...

Of course, I'm the guy that's about to say that the entire top 40 for the last 8 years or so fits into the "I don't get it" category for me... ;)

Music is one of the most puzzling things ever -- how one song can be horrible for some people and then tons of others love it to death.

I actually like Stevie Nicks a lot, and I think Landslide is awesome. Also love Tush -- simple tune, but I'm a big ZZ Top fan and pretty much like everything by them.

Agree with hating Like A Rock though, but maybe Chevy made me hate it. Regarding Old Time Rock and Roll, it's not one of my favorites, but I've never heard anyone other than Bob Seger do it well. Bar bands butcher it.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Clapton's Wonderful Tonight and I get to play it everytime my Tribute band plays. :mad: I do like watching the women dance to it though. :D

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by Griffinator:

...just about everything U2 has ever done...

Come on, man. "One" is the stuff of legend. "Bullet the Blue Sky" is the best Zep-tribute song ever written - only Bono's lyrics are better than anything Plant ever wrote. "With Or Without You" was possibly the best ballad of its era, with some possible competition from "Every Breath..."

Of course, I'm the guy that's about to say that the entire top 40 for the last 8 years or so fits into the "I don't get it" category for me... ;)

I'll admit that some of Bono's lyrics are well written, and some of their material has some musical interest. I just have a hard time getting past Bono's vocal, and some of The Edge's guitar work. There's a quiver in Bono's voice that just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Much like Dolly Parton's vibrato, and the quivery wow and flutter tone of the organ in "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

There's a lot of music out there that the general public thinks is great, but I can't stand. Just like there's a lot of songs that I love, but a lot of people can't appreciate. It's all a matter of taste, like the difference between Budweiser and Guinness.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

If you really want me to quit the band, insist that we play Gimme Three Steps.

Others mentioned that I agree with:

Wonderful tonight

Turn the Page

Born in the USA

anything Stevie Nicks sings

What I disagree about

U2. I think think they're great. The Joshua Tree is one of my favorite albums ever.

Interesting thread

Ken

Just about anything that plays/played on commercial radio? ;)

(Like Socrate used to do, I'm asking a question here to try to know better about myself and others).

(And no, Socrate doesn't need an "s" at the end in French).

(OK, OK, I'll stop writing nonsense stuff in parentheses following a reply).

Originally posted by DafDuc:

I Just Called to Say I Love You

Hahahaha... Yep, this one is certainly in the top 10 list of the very worse songs ever written which became superultraextraordinarily popular. :)

The first position though, and which will remain so for the next 400 centuries :

La Laaaaaa La La Laaaaaaaaaa...

Life is Life. :freak:

I'm not a fan of "We Built This City," but I think that one sits near the top of the list of "Worst Songs Ever Written" or something like that.

One song that really grates on my nerves is REO's "I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" - particularly the lispy vocals during the beginning. I was watching this on the Live Aid DVD the other day and almost died laughing and then nearly threw up over how bad it sounded.

Another song that annoys me is "Karma Kameleon" by Culture Club. I actually like Culture Club, but this song seems like utter nonsense.

Regards,

Eric

I'm a big Skynyrd fan, but I can't stand Gimme Three Steps either. Same with What's Your Name. I have to disagree with Free Bird, that's the song that really got me into music, although I didn't grow up in the 70's, so I didn't hear it getting played every other second.

I know there's a distinct camp of people that are either pre-commercial Bob Seger or post. I'm a post guy, but I don't really care about Turn the Page, either. It's just so bland. But I love Like a Rock, I've made a conscious effort not to listen to it a lot so it won't get played out. I used to run out of the room when the Chevy commercials came on, so it wouldn't be ruined (when I was younger).

Yeah, Candle in the Wind is another puzzling one, not a terribly interesting song. I've tried to get into Bruce Springsteen, but could never do it. I just don't get why he's so big.

Oh yeah, and I'll get shot for this, but I've never been into Bob Dylan. I love Like a Rolling Stone, but that's pretty much it. Every year, I make an effort to try to "get" him, but it fails pretty quickly. I understand intellectually why he was important, but I just can't get my heart into it. It's like listening to a singing mule.

Oh yeah! Good ones, I agree with the following:

I Just Called to Say I Love You (definitely not one of Stevie's best)

I Can't Find this Feeling (eek)

We Built This City (I hate this song)

Karma Kameleon (very lame)

Wonderful Tonight (it's not bad, but it annoys me for some reason)

Interesting responses.

Never knew that Wonderful Tonight was such a bad one for so many. I like that song.

I also like Candle In The Wind, but just the original tribute to Marilyn Monroe, not his remake for Diana. That remake did take some of the luster off the song.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

And I know this is considered sacrilege, but "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen is about the most boring song ever written.

I agree with ur coment about springsteen, but U2 is one of my favorite bands (even though little keys) and I think they are very talented, though i hate their latest album.

Im not sure if its popular, but one song they play all the time on the radio and I hate is "Bad to the Bone"

Originally posted by Griffinator:

I'm the guy that thinks that almost everything in top 40 since a few years after MTV hit the air is utter crap, which I will extend to include everything that U2 has ever recorded. They make me want to punch myself in the balls.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Originally posted by stepay:

[QBNever knew that Wonderful Tonight was such a bad one for so many. ...

Candle In The Wind [/QB]

Wonderful Tonight and Candle In The Wind also make me want to punch myself in the balls.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'd rather have glass shards driven under my fingernails than have to endure Fergie's "London Bridge" or Gwen Stefani's "Holla Back," or similar "songs" of that ilk.
"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Originally posted by kanker.:

Wonderful Tonight and Candle In The Wind also make me want to punch myself in the balls.

Someone call SNL - we have a new catch phrase!

As a counter to "I wanna dip my balls in it", they can have an alter-character that screams "I wanna punch myself in the balls over it!"

:D

Wow, I'm surprised that there's so much animosity toward U2, who I consider the greatest rock band, bar none, of the past 20 years and who, in my book, probably deserve a place alongside The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath as one of the greatest bands of all-time.

Now, if we're talking about music that makes me want to punch myself in the balls, I agree with the reference to things like Fergie's London Bridge and Gwen Stefani's Holla Back. Just friggin' awful. If you want to pick less obvious targets, however, I would rank just about anything by The Doors or The Grateful Dead right up there. Finally, although I appreciate the amazing talent of the guys in The Dave Matthews Band, I just can't stand their music.

Noah

Archived