Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craziest thing ever said to you at a gig

I just figured they were checking out the giant rubiks cube

Dan you are the man. The squares all have little piezzo triggers don't they? And you use the legs of a shop mannequin - with leg warmers and a Flashdance welding mask - to tap on the giant squares and play the synth riff to New Order's "Blue Monday"? You do, don't you?

Actually ignore the question marks. You do. Don't spoil it for me. By the time I hit the school run I'll be boring the mums with the details of the medley you play on it - big finish with Aha's "Take On Me."

You are the man Dan.

(BTW quite right with the tambourine seekers - loved her response but those things are a disaster in the hands of the untrained - even a cutey who's just "hard of rhythm").

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to rig up some robotic birds and legs, leave the stage, and do Herbie Hancock's Rockit.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBOBpLJeOb4

I could have a camera offstage pointed at my hands and put it on a little B&W TV onstage.

The opening scene with the milk bottles would be me kicking the damn beer bottles off the edge of the stage.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 4 weeks later...

This wasn't said to me personally, but rather a drummer friend of mine at the end of a set and it never fails to crack me up!!

A real funky (as in "Superfly/Curtis Mayfield" funky) dude came over to the drummer and said:

"I's loves 'da volume of 'yo tempo, 'cause you can dance on it."

Not sure there's a better compliment for a dance band drummer anywhere!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I just expect crazy comments & even bizarre behavior by the public at gigs, even in the nicest places. Once I played a few tunes at a friend's house--a former musician--on his Steinway M, at a party. Not a gig; Just 'cuz he & his wife like my playing, & I like to play, etc. Another guest glommed on to me & started telling me how to play, on & on with some weird semi-drunken bs. Next day my buddy calls me, pis*sed off b/c the other guest had gotten so weird, & I had to try to explain to him, that piano players expect this sort of stuff, it just rolled off.

Just sit down at the piano, & start to play, & it incites a certain # of people to start spewing their own agressive weirdness, at you. Someone told me once that a lot of them are "jealous".....

Then there's the endless stupid comments & questions that people make if you even TELL them you're a musician--so I generally don't.

Just sit down at the piano, & start to play, & it incites a certain # of people to start spewing their own agressive weirdness, at you. Someone told me once that a lot of them are "jealous".....

Interesting observation. Not inconsistent with what I have experienced, although not always aggressive, and I'm not sure it necessarily comes from jealousy. But I do think you are on to something.....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• 1 month later...
"Where's the bathroom. I need to escape this psycho monkey music!" This cynical guy that I know said this at a concert last Friday because he has zero taste in music. Literally me and my other friend had to drive his car one time and he was listening to the weather report for Philadelphia. We are in Illinois fyi.

I was impressed once by the courtesy of a fan who took the time to come and tell me:

"Dude, that was the best light show I've ever seen. You really know your stuff."

You'd have thought that the keyboard running the whole length of my CS80 might have been a clue...

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. - W. C. Fields

While not a gig, it's still crazy:

6 years ago we were holding auditions for our new lead singer.

Rented a very nice studio. Had our sound guy there with his stuff..

One of the song was Don't Stop Believing, of course...

I start to play it and the guy auditioning motioned us all to stop. Then proceeded to tell me I was playing wrong.

I'm thinking okaaaaaaaayyy. I politely asked him what was off.

He knew just enough piano and some basic reading skills.

He said, "the sheet music, and Journey's song book goes like this...." I let him play my rig. Totally wrong.

As some of you know, the published sheet music his not even close to correct on this song.

He actually wanted to argue that regardless what it sounds like or how Jonathan plays it makes no difference. The sheet music must be followed.

He obviously failed his audition with us.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

While maybe not a "classic" story, this blew us away at a gig a couple of weeks ago. Near the end of the third set, a woman tries to get my attention and talk to me in the middle of a song. Somehow, I made her understand she needed to wait. When the set ended, after she had danced a bit, she shouted to the whole band at a volume that could be heard by half the bar: "I sell drugs in the alley behind the bar. I've been listening to your music for the past hour and I just had to come in to tell you guys how great you are!" We are considering using her endorsement on our website...

Nord Piano, Nord Electro 3, Nord C1, Traynor K4, QSC K8, various guitars and amps.

Lurking more than posting, but here a lot. Thanks to KC!!!

A girl, quite faced at the time, got up on stage and grabbed a mic, then started chanting "I've got a fire in my pants! I've got a fire in my pants!" over and over again. The guitarist laughed, took the mic away, and said, "thanks honey, but we need to play the next song."

The drummer suddenly whipped into this massive power-pop beat and started chanting "I've got a fire in my pants! I've got a fire in my pants!" and we all broke into a cacophonous, atonal blues-ish jam.

I don't know what happened to the girl, but hopefully she was able to put the fire out ... one way or 'nother ...

"I ain't NEVER heard nobody play like that before. You must be the Antichrist!" Said to me by an elderly, possibly homeless gentleman, after hearing me trying out a synth at a music store.

I guess it was a compliment.

Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

Years ago I used to play in a band that covered "Aqualung"... This drunk surfer comes up to the stage and yells: "Hey, play that SNOT song!"...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

In the 90's I was playing in a band in Dallas and we used to cover "Cars, Trucks, Buses" by Phish.

In the middle of the song this guy comes up to the stage and yells at us "STOP PLAYING THAT SONG! Don't you know that Phish is playing here next week? It is forbidden for you to play any Phish songs!"...

You have got to be kidding! LOL

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

We were playing a bar last weekend and I noticed this decent looking young lady sitting all alone...drinking heavily with her head in her hands. After the set she waved me over to her table...she said she loved the band...I asked her why so down....she proceeds to tell me that her boyfriend is in the hospital and had a heart attack that very day...at the end of the night she comes up to me and says....so......are you married?

I guess her boyfriend did not make it...

My cover band does "Walk This Way," and on the C7 break after the first chorus we quote a little bit of the Meters' "Cissy Strut." Well, a few weeks ago we had just started that tune when George Porter Jr. walked into the club. He was standing there watching us, and as that part came up we were all looking at each other like, "Are we really gonna do this in front of him?" So we did. Luckily he smiled and seemed to get a kick out of it. He didn't hang around long after that song, but I was just glad he didn't walk out in disgust.

My cover band does "Walk This Way," and on the C7 break after the first chorus we quote a little bit of the Meters' "Cissy Strut." Well, a few weeks ago we had just started that tune when George Porter Jr. walked into the club. He was standing there watching us, and as that part came up we were all looking at each other like, "Are we really gonna do this in front of him?" So we did. Luckily he smiled and seemed to get a kick out of it. He didn't hang around long after that song, but I was just glad he didn't walk out in disgust.

I'm willing to bet that he thinks you guys ad-libbed that in his honor.

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• 8 months later...

Bumping this thread to add a report from the other night, when my cover band brought some women up to dance onstage during a song. Three of them were near me, dancing all sexy with each other, grinding against each other, etc. I looked over at the one closest to me, and saw that the one behind her had reached around with both hands and was groping her breasts. And I don't mean subtly; I mean if this were a cartoon, there would have been squishing and bouncing noises happening.

Of course, that's not that crazy part. In fact that's actually fairly run-of-the-mill for this gig. The crazy part came after I leaned over to the woman and, in a shameless effort to further escalate the onstage shenanigans, said, "Are you gonna let her get away with that? You should turn around and show her what it feels like!"

There were several possible outcomes I could have expected, but none of them involved the woman laughing and replying, "These are my two daughters! I'm the mama and these are my girls!", which is exactly what she said. And as my eyes widened and I looked at the three of them and checked out their relative ages and overall resemblance, I realized she probably wasn't kidding.

Now I've seen and heard a lot on this gig, but that completely threw me for a loop and left me with nothing to say in return. I just picked my jaw up off the floor, turned back around and played the rest of the song without looking up.

Moral of the story: When you think you've seen it all, there's nothing like a little spontaneous borderline lesbian incest onstage to make you remember what it feels like to be shocked.

Of course, that's not that crazy part. In fact that's actually fairly run-of-the-mill for this gig.....

Please let me know if you ever need a sub. BTW, what song were you guys playing, so I can recommend it to my band? :D

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I gotta get me to NOLA...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Just one story: I was playing kybds in a band at a posh golf resort in FL in the early 1980's. Standing at the bar on my break, some guy staying at the resort came up to the bar & started insulting the (very nice, cute) female bartender b/c of her "small breasts". I still marvel at the sick crudeness of that, by some insurance salesman or something.

Somebody should have decked him. But I did read him my version of the Riot Act, & he actually backed down. I always thought that someday maybe he would say something like that to the "wrong guy's" sister, or wife, or daughter....

" Do you play in a BAND?" I was playing keys at a Big band gig years ago. Since i was playing with 17 other guys when they asked me this, on a STAGE ! ' makes you wonder about other people's reality .

Has anybody noticed how after the gig, people tend to congregate at the door when you try to lug your gear outside ?

robert w nuckels

New Years Eve 1999-2000, the band was all set up a ready so we were getting ready to enjoy the meal with the rest of the crowd. First up, shrimp cocktail. within seconds after delivery to our table the head caterer came running over and said:

"You guys don't get shrimp cocktail! :taz: Your just the band!" And then proceeded to collect each plate. Our guitar player had already begun to enjoy the shrimp, so he promptly spit what he was chewing back on to the plate and handed it over.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX