Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worst Song Ever

Garrafon

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Yeah, I'll go along with just about anything by Neil Young being a candidate for "Worst Ever."

Holy crap! You must be kidding, right? While I'll admit that not all of Young's songs are gems (give the man a break, he's written hundreds upon hundreds of them), he is still one of the all-time great songwriters. This is blasphemy!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I just can't believe anyone could even mention Neil Young in a "worst songs" thread. If you think Neil is bad, you all must have ridiculously high standards. Do you guys also hate Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, and Lennon/McCartney?

I can understand not liking him. I don't really like Neil Diamond, for instance, but I still recognize him as a good songwriter.

Regarding "Color My World": If you're at a racous party (and want to kill it), go over to the piano, lean over and play the Fmaj7/Am7 intro lick. I guarantee that within 5 seconds some guy, totally wrecked, will stagger over and start shouting " As time goes OOOOOONNNNNNN...."

Happens every time! :-)

He who draws the most amps, wins

I, too, tought that "Feelings" was a pretty awful song - till I heard it with Italian lyrics. 'Lyrics' is not the right word perhaps... :freak: Let's just say that they made the song about 50% *worse* than it already was. :eek: "Corny" and "square" aren't strong enough adjectives here!

Other candidates for the 'worst song of all times' award:

The Beatles' "All Together Now".

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard it. :D

ELO and Olivia Newton-John: "Physical".

It tormented everybody for a whole summer during my youth (early '80s, IIRC). More than once, I was tempted to destroy the jukebox.

ELP's "Are You Ready, Eddy?"

If you have heard it, you know why.

These days, I don't follow the charts too closely... but judging by what goes on MTV and such, I'd swear there's some pretty awful material around!

IMO Neil Young's songs only qualify if HE'S the one singing them. I can't stand hearing him sing, but his songwriting is exemplary. Kinda like Kris Kristofferson.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Originally posted by marino:

These days, I don't follow the charts too closely... but judging by what goes on MTV and such, I'd swear there's some pretty awful material around!

Mostly of extremely inferior quality! I can hardly think of a well-written "hit" from the past few years.

Come to think of it, MTV doesn't even play music much anymore. It's all "The Real World" or "MTV Cribs" or "Pimp My Ride"...

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

Wow, I just can't believe anyone could even mention Neil Young in a "worst songs" thread. If you think Neil is bad, you all must have ridiculously high standards. Do you guys also hate Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, and Lennon/McCartney?

I can understand not liking him. I don't really like Neil Diamond, for instance, but I still recognize him as a good songwriter.

Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, yes. They've both written some good songs, but I don't enjoy their performances. Wouldn't walk across the street to hear either live for less than $20. (I mean, you pay me $20 or more to do it.) It'd take at least $100 to get me to consider listening to Neil Young.

:P

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

As I recall, in the early '80s Fun Boy Three released an album of nothing but the Go-Gos' song "Our Lips Are Sealed" done in different styles. That was interesting.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Bah, too easy. Cheeky Girls (by the way, hilarious) and the Macarena were never touted as good songs by anyone ever. If they were, find those people and exterminate with extreme musical elitism! :P

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Originally posted by StillFightingIt:

Crazy Frog anyone?

Kylie Minogues Locomotion?

Anything Nikelback?

Thank you! Completely forgot Nickleback. I don't personally know anyone that likes them, but they were the most played band in 2005. Go 'rock n roll' elevator music.

"I don't want to listen to Walking on Sunshine, I just want something I can ignore!" - High Fidelity

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

Originally posted by Dick Ward (Alias: Mr. Pretentious):

Crazy Frog anyone?

Anything Nikelback?

Thank you! Completely forgot Nickleback. I don't personally know anyone that likes them, but they were the most played band in 2005. Go 'rock n roll' elevator music.

"I don't want to listen to Walking on Sunshine, I just want something I can ignore!" - High Fidelity

You know, I don't know anyone that likes Nickleback either, yet they're still played incessantly on the radio. And all their songs have almost the exact same changes and melody. Good Lord, do they suck!

Originally posted by Bobsk8:

I liked Whitney Houston until she came out with that movie theme " I will always love". For some reason I hated that song and it seemed like they played it every 20 minutes, for months,on the radio. The ending lyrics were.

"And I will always love you

I will always love you

And I will always love you

I will always love you

I will always love you

I will always love you

I, I will always love you

You, darling I love you

I'll always, I'll always love you "

Gag me with a spoon........;

That's actually a Dolly Parton song. Dolly's version is softer, pulls on your heartstrings a bit more than Whitney's ovary-busting vocalfest.

But I like the song, and I'll tell you why. My son Derek, when he was little, about 8 or 9, used to make relentless fun of that song. He'd slam his foot down on the floor for the bass kick, and yell at the top of his lungs "AND IIIII-EEEEEE-EEEEE-IIIIIIIIIIIIII." loudly and horribly off-key, never failing to degenerate into a silly spastic yodel at the end, all the while accompanied by facial contortions a'la Bill Watterson's "Calvin". The more you tried to shut him up, the louder he'd sing. If you tried to clamp a hand over his mouth, he'd wrestle away and sing even louder.

The ultimate effect was to reduce me to paroxysms of laughter, rolling on the floor, 'cuz he was so GOOFY. And he knew it. And he basked in it.

So, hearing that song reminds my of my youngest boy, at his goofiest. It's a happy thought, even though it was frustrating at the time...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

Originally posted by Dick Ward (Alias: Mr. Pretentious):

Crazy Frog anyone?

Anything Nikelback?

You know, I don't know anyone that likes Nickleback either, yet they're still played incessantly on the radio. And all their songs have almost the exact same changes and melody. Good Lord, do they suck!
Agreed - http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived