Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone have a SPIDER

NoLights

:eek:

Actually, Konig and Meyer has apparently come out with a new Spider keyboard stand that has a tilt-able top tier. I've got an Apex and like it a lot, but sure could use a little extra angle on the top tier. Anyone have any experience with these pricey stands?

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a pair of them. K&M gave them to me in exchange for a picture (me and my my gear set up with them), but I do like them a lot because they are very stable and fold up quickly. I've used them exclusively for a couple of years now and have had nothing to complain about.

Steve Nathan

Here comes a different opinion... ;)

I had one and returned it. The "spine" and feet have a really great stable solid construction´. However the design and construction of the tier is terrible, it's connected with a soft plastic part with a sloppy fit. Unfortunately tHere was a twisting movement that was really disconcerting, the top and bottom octaves on my Yamaha P80 were moving forwards and backwards by a few inches.

A shorter lighter keyboard like my Electro 61 was just about acceptable at a pinch.

Which is a great shame, because this is by far the coolest looking stand I have ever seen and it was very ergonomic.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I'm with konaboy: I've just returned a Spider Pro and it seems like the most unstable stand with just one keyboard on. I bought an extra armset and I would not trust it to hold three boards (Triton Classic, Roland D5 and Triton Extreme). It doesn't feel Pro at all.

Yeah, I like the legs and the column but the arms are awful. Cheap and plasticy. I've got K&M mic stands, speaker stands and they're all great but looks like another Quiklok three tier for me.

Sorry to hear the reviews (overall). It's a lot of money to spend (the spider pro is going for $200 at Music123/Woodwind Brasswind) for something that may not be that robust. I'll check out the V stand. Thanks, all.

If the upper tier of the V-stand is tiltable, that's the way to go!
It is, but there's little lateral - forward/back - room.

I like my V-Stand, but I prefer to have the keys of my top synth behind and slightly over the controls of my bottom one. This is hard to achieve on the V-Stand without centering your bottom synth right on the front of the arms.

$200 for a Spider Pro is a steal. I bought one for $350 thru Germany as soon as they came out

My set up is a Rd700Sx ( bottom tier) on a quik lock Ws550.

Then I have the Spider Pro hold up my Extreme 76 ( next tier) and my Triton Classic 61, on the top tier

The tilt arms, that are extendable, on the Spider pro are essential for my Tritons. I needed that to see the LCD's

I feel the stability is good. I am 6' 2" and I needed the Spider Pro to adjust to a 4 - 5 foot height. It does that.

all my boards are heavy. Due to my requirements ( tilt and height) , the WS550 and Spider Pro were my best options

I think you have to put your heaviest board on the bottom tier of a stand to ' stabilize ' it. Next heaviest keyboard on the 2nd tier.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Well, How does that go? One man's is another man's poison.

I honestly have had no problems like the ones described above. My 2 tier holds a heavy weighted 88 (I've gone back to my old Elka MKII) and a Karma or Kawai K500S. The one tier held a wurlitzer for a while but know sits in my writing room with a PA80 on it. Nothing moves, slips or bounces at all.

Steve Nathan

• 4 months later...

Could it be that the Spider with the non-angle adjustable tiers is more stable than the Pro model? Maybe the adjustable angle causes the horizontal movement. Are the angles on the non-pro model ok? Thanks for the info.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I just ordered the non-Pro model, which it sounds like is the one Steve has. It was back-ordered, by it's supposed to ship in a couple of days.

I spent a lot of time on the website, and I eliminated the "Pro" model from consideration right away. I don't remember why now, though, it was a few months ago that I started looking at these. (Yeah, I'm slow to spend my hard-earned gig money :D ).

Anyway, I hope my experience is more like Steve's than konaboy's! :eek:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Let me know how it works out. I love my V-Stand but one of the height adjusters went south and it really wobbles too much with the 2nd tier attached. I have an S-90 with Electro on top. Did you order from Music123? Thanks for the reply.

Jim Wells

tallahassee, FL

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Spider today.

I set it up, and it seems good. But haven't put any 'boards on it yet. Got a rehearsal tomorrow, I'll probably bring it.

The third tier looks like a PITA to setup and tear down though. I'll report more after I've used it a bit.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

This thread has resurfaced...and I'm back to say I bought the Spider Pro... and I like it a lot. I was using an S-90 on the bottom (now a MO8) and a Nord Electro 61 on top, and it's actually more stable than the Apex the Spider replaced.

It's fairly easy to set up and tear down -- not quite as straight forward as the column stand -- and you really need to get the carrying bag because it's cumbersome to carry without it (and it is a little heavier than the Apex).

Because of the way the legs revolve when setting it up, you can trigger a major collapse if you need to "tweak" your placement on the stage. It takes finesse - but you can drag it carefully.

I bought a "B" stock stand -- so it had a couple of scratches on it -- but it also was missing the 3/8" to 5/8" adapter to attach a boom on top. PITA to replace. Other than that, on balance, I like it. It's practical and it also looks pretty cool on stage.

gerardsound, read this thread carefully. It sounds like the Spider Pro is a different model, and some of the people who have it don't like it much. The Pro allows the top tier to be tilted. The non-Pro doesn't have any tilt -- both keyboards are parallel to the floor.

If you don't need a tilt on your top board, then the non-Pro Spider is probably the right call.

I'm not recommending this stand yet -- it's just sitting in my home office with no keyboards on it. It looks great, and seems sturdy and stable, but I won't really know how I like it until I've used it on a gig or six.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I have the Spyder Pro.

I have mentioned this before here- I have a quiklok WS550 for my Rd700sx.

I use the Pro for the next 2 tiers , holding my Extreme 76 and Triton 61. I use tilt arms for both

I am 6' 2" so this is the best arrangement and allows a decent view of the LCD's

[70's Songwriter]

I'm still trying to find a stand that will give me some front to back adjustment on my 3rd tier. The controls for the XB-2, my middle board, are on the front under the keys, and the drawbars are beside the keys. That means that I could have the front of the keys on the top tier right to the back edge of the Hammond keys. Make it much more comfortable. As it is, everything I find places the top tier so far back that I have a hard time reaching it. I can't go with an A-frame due to space limitations. Just how adjustable is the Spider?

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I have the Pro and the 2 tiers slide up and down on an adjustable mast track. There is a dial that locks the tier to the mast

The angled tiers extend out 16 inches from my recollection. The tilt is no more than 10 degrees

Check out the photos and dimensions by doing a search on the stand

[70's Songwriter]

I have the Pro and the 2 tiers slide up and down on an adjustable mast track. There is a dial that locks the tier to the mast

The angled tiers extend out 16 inches from my recollection. The tilt is no more than 10 degrees

Check out the photos and dimensions by doing a search on the stand

[70's Songwriter]

Archived