Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new user

latchmo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome aboard!

Like Dan said, you can definitely leave your hat on. ;)

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Welcome to the formum, latchmo!

I see that you live in France.

"Nexo" is a high-end loudspeaker manufacturer in France that manufactures a small 3 speaker system with a controller that specs out like it just might be the ultimate mini PA that would be fantastic for keyboards. It is not to my knowledge (?????) available here in the U.S., and I would guess it would cost a bundle, but it looks like a very cool set up.

Here's a link: http://www.nexo-sa.com/asp/catalogue/catalogue.asp?linkid=76

I'm not recommending this, since I have never even heard it in action, let alone used it myself, but it might be worth a look since you live where it is available.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill.

You're right - Nexo stuff costs a bundle.

I'm actually trying to find the right combo amp to replace and old Fender keyboard amp.

Most of my gigs I don't even use an amp - the monitors are usually always louder and better sounding than any kb amp.

Don't like Roland amps, although I'm curious about the SA300.

Never heard the new Peaveys (I have and old KB300 that I used for over 10 years - never a problem, always clean and loud)

Would like to know more about Hartke kb amps.

Motion Sound stuff is a lot more expensive in Europe than in the US - not thrilled with piano sounds through MS anyway.

- Mike

Welcome to KC!

So tell me, how does a New Yorker living in France fare with the French? I've heard the French don't like Americans and I've also heard if you don't speak French fluently they basically ignore you, especially at the curbside restaurants when you try and order something and you order it in English. :freak:

YO! Adrian!! :)

Once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker they say. :cool:

But while you're there enjoy your stay. If that's possible. ;) Hopefully it is.

Mike

Kevmo - thank you for your advice.

keynote - Yes, all that you said is true about the French. And in addition, they all walk around wearing berets, smelling like sweat and cheese with a baguette under their hairy armpits, chain smoking and spitting in your general direction.

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please" - Mark Twain

Originally posted by latchmo:

Yes, all that you said is true about the French. And in addition, they all walk around wearing berets, smelling like sweat and cheese with a baguette under their hairy armpits, chain smoking and spitting in your general direction.

:D

I've never had a problem in France, and my French is pretty far from perfect. My experience has always been that as long as you make a sincere effort to speak the language that you're pretty well treated. I've found that in most of the countries I've been lucky enough to visit, though.

Of course, there are probably some people in France who'll not be too friendly to foreigners...but then again, we've got a few of those in the US as well. ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Mais Oui! ;)

To answer keynote's question seriously I can say that I've found just the opposite. People are curious about the states. They love the music, the films and even the language. Almost everyone speaks a little English. They learn it in school. They have visited the US or would like to visit one day. They have a dislike for our politics not our people in general.

I've been fortunate to travel a lot and I believe that people are people wherever you go.

Etonnant! Tout le monde parle français! :eek:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Etonnant! Tout le monde parle français! :eek:

Oui. :)

Dave devra maintenant créer une nouvelle section dans ce forum pour ceux et celles qui veulent écrire en français. ;)

keynote - Yes, all that you said is true about the French. And in addition, they all walk around wearing berets, smelling like sweat and cheese with a baguette under their hairy armpits, chain smoking and spitting in your general direction.

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please" - Mark Twain

Well I see your entrance to the Forum is a little testy huh? :rolleyes: My remarks to you were in no way meant to be of a demeaning manner and/or attitude toward either you or the French people but apparently you took it that way. Also, I have not intended to distort any facts, as I've heard firsthand from friends who visited France that their demeanor towards English speaking people and Americans in general leaves a lot to be desired, especially in and around Paris.

And it's funny that you talk facetiously and mockingly (to me) about the French people's lack of personal hygiene i.e. 'underarm odor', etc. when in actuality it is quite true the French have an aversion to underarm deodorants/antiperspirants and their armpits do indeed tend to 'stinketh'. Unless of course my close friends accounts while ascending the Eiffel Tower several years ago and her telling me the horid story of the elevator smelling to high heaven because the French people ascending with her had armpits that reeked and almost made her gag and which she wanted to exit the elevator before reaching her destination at the top of the Eiffel Tower - were false? I will believe her accounts over your statements any day thank you. ;) Possibly the French HAVE recently taken a liking to personal hygiene and have started using Deodorant on a regular basis? It is possible I suppose.. And maybe they HAVE changed their attitude toward foreigners and WILL give you the time of day (if nothing else) even if you don't speak French fluently? I suppose that is possible also.

Let me guess.. You say you grew up in New York but since you have such a strong allegiance to France and the French (by your words) perhaps you were indeed 'born' in France and your parents perhaps 'moved' to New York when you were young?

For when you make such bold assertions to the contrary (and mockingly at that) and quote Mark Twain to basically say that my words are misconstrued and I am twisting them rather than asking me first why I felt that way and reassure me otherwise, you lead me to believe you are not really an American born 'citizen' but merely a Frenchman who happened to grow up in New York and are now once again living in your home country of France.

If I am wrong about that assumption then I apologize. But you would do well to tone down your condescending rhetoric toward members especially those who have not said or did anything intentionally to you to malign you in any way. This is one of your first posts and you have, in my opinion, gotten off on the wrong foot and are essentially playing me for the fool.

I think an apology is in order from you but I won't hold my breath waiting for one - seeing how you've come in here and right off the bat start putting down other members harmless statements and don't give them a straight answer but mockingly answer back and then quote Mark Twain as a way to imply that my statements are somehow twisted and not true.

My friend, if you are indeed an American why do have to so staunchly defend a people that you do not even 'supposedly' belong to or are part of? And in fact, the things you mention (facetiously) as somehow being not true of the French people in many instances are known to be true? The only reason I can think of is you are indeed a French citizen who just happened to grow up in New York and want people to believe you are an American so you can fit in here at KC. Am I wrong in my assumption?

Either way you need to lighten up dude..

Mike

Allow me, tentatively, to add my 2c on an issue which could easily blow up out of all proportion. In my experience, generalizing can work in, say, developing a scientific theory. It's rarely constructive in talking about people, though; there's too much room for behavioural variation and subjective bias. At best, stereotyping of any (human) social group is ill-advised, regardless of the intention - humorous, vindictive or otherwise. In terms of accurately assessing (not judging) other people, for me, learning the individual is all; everything else matters less.

Without trying to be the 'playground peacemaker' (who winds up getting kicked in the teeth by both protagonists :D ), it is worth noting that both you guys' (latchmo and keynote's) initial posts seemed tongue-in-cheek - again perhaps a case of internet communication obscuring cues that would easily be recognised and appreciated one-on-one. Having said that, latchmo, your Twain quote was perhaps a little cheeky for an introductory post :) . Welcome, nonetheless.

• 3 months later...

hahahaha

I haven't been back to this forum in a while - didn't realize I had set off a firecracker!

cliffk - thanks for your remarks

No, I'm not french - I was born in the US as were my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents....

I've lived in France for over 4 years - my wife is french. So that goes without saying that my new family and friends are also french. So when people make general assumptions about other people based on "Well I heard that..." and "Well, so and so told me that..." it strikes me the wrong way. I'm not defending the French - I'm defending open-mindedness. I don't like stereotypes and I don't like heresay.

keynote - I'm not playing you for a fool, nor am I insulting you. I was just having some fun - maybe it was at your expense - I apologize.

I came to this forum looking for advice about an amplifier, not to insult anybody or to be insulted.

I find it unfortunate (quel dommage!) that one has to be an American to "fit in" on this forum. (as keynote implied)

Fortunately, I am one.

hahahaha

No, I'm not french - I was born in the US as were my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents....

I've lived in France for over 4 years - my wife is french. So that goes without saying that my new family and friends are also french. So when people make general assumptions about other people based on "Well I heard that..." and "Well, so and so told me that..." it strikes me the wrong way. I'm not defending the French - I'm defending open-mindedness. I don't like stereotypes and I don't like heresay.

keynote - I'm not playing you for a fool, nor am I insulting you. I was just having some fun - maybe it was at your expense - I apologize.

I find it unfortunate (quel dommage!) that one has to be an American to "fit in" on this forum. (as keynote implied)

Fortunately, I am one.

Apology accepted.

As to having to be an American to fit in on this Forum I only said that because of your previous rhetorical answer to my original post. If you had replied in a more 'civil' manner then my subsequent reply to your post wouldn't have questioned your American nationality. Since you defended the French in such a brazenly staunch fashion I simply tried to piece two and two together and offered a reason as to why you said what you said about growing up in New York, etc.

Btw, my statements were not heresay but from a trusted source who had a firsthand account. If you hadn't assumed otherwise, then all of this discussion could have been averted.

I have nothing against the French personally and I have met several Frenchmen who were very kind and friendly during my conversations with them. There are bad apples in every race and culture. But France itself should not be stigmatized that way.

I am glad there are no hard feelings on your end as there are no hard feelings on my end either.

No.. you don't need to be an American to fit in here at KC. All are welcome as long as they abide by the Forum Policies. :wave:

Mike

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Yes, all that you said is true about the French. And in addition, they all walk around wearing berets, smelling like sweat and cheese with a baguette under their hairy armpits, chain smoking and spitting in your general direction.

:D

I've never had a problem in France, and my French is pretty far from perfect. My experience has always been that as long as you make a sincere effort to speak the language that you're pretty well treated. I've found that in most of the countries I've been lucky enough to visit, though.

Of course, there are probably some people in France who'll not be too friendly to foreigners...but then again, we've got a few of those in the US as well. ;)

dB

I found the same thing in Cuba. I went down there a couple years back when I was in college for a few weeks to study Cuban music. If you believed US Government propaganda, you'd assume that, if you were American, a Cuban would just as soon spit in your face as look at you. Just the opposite in fact. All the Cubans I met were incredibly nice and laid back, and even appreciated my mangled Spanish. Furthermore, they loved the fact that I was from the US. About 99 percent of the white people you would see there are from Canada or Europe. When I'd tell someone I was from the United States, their eyes would really light up. Just don't talk politics. ;)

I posted a question on another post about where I could find a Traynor K4 in Europe. Or if anyone knows if they are even available yet here in France.

I received no information. Just a response from somebody else looking for a K4 somewhere in the states.

Archived