Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Biggus:

Love him or not, Shockey might be one of the 4 or 5 best pure tight ends in the game now.

Oh, no doubt. That's one of the reasons WHY he rubs me the wrong way. The guy's talent speaks for itself - he doesn't need to be such a horse's ass.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

You'd think after the drubbing you took from T-Bay that you'd be over the whole tuck rule thing...

A) Bite me, bub. ;)

B) One has nothing to do with the other.

C) Stupid injustice sucks, even after time goes by.

D) I don't blame the Pats for the tuck rule incident - I actually blame Jon Gruden, if the truth must be told. Earlier in that game, you could clearly see him cursing out the referee. I knew that was gonna be trouble when I saw it happening - I even made a comment about that at the time to the people I was watching the game with. The Raiders then got a ridiculous amount of penalties hurled at them, which were culminated by the tuck rule call.

E) I actually do not dislike the Pats - I was pulling for them in the Super Bowl, and was glad they won.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

D) I don't blame the Pats for the tuck rule incident - I actually blame Jon Gruden, if the truth must be told. Earlier in that game, you could clearly see him cursing out the referee. I knew that was gonna be trouble when I saw it happening - I even made a comment about that at the time to the people I was watching the game with.. The Raiders then got a ridiculous amount of penalties hurled at them, which were culminated by the tuck rule call.

Jeez, Dave, it was the right call! Tsk, tsk, I thought we covered this two years ago. I don't like either, but the NFL has several rules to disallow what they call cheap fumbles and touchdowns. Case in point: the muffed punt rule. Personally, I think you should be able to advance a turned over muffed punt. So what if it's cheap. It's a fumble. Similarly if the qb decides not to throw the ball, I think he's got posession even if he's still has his arm extended. The NFL unfortunately didn't ask me in either case (bastards).

Besides, Giants fans have the bigger beef if you ask me. That was a bad call that kicked them out of the playoffs last year.

And besides, even if the Raiders had beaten the Pats, the Bucs showed last year what the Rams would have done to them the year before, right? :D

How many more weeks till the Broncos play the Raiders?

can one of you help me win lotsa money on football? I'll wire you winnigs :idea:

tonights picks: yankees -1 1/2 runs

Oakland -1 1/2 runs

Houston -1 1/2 runs

all in one bet :thu:

wish me luck , for I will stop ,,up money after tonight :D

Originally posted by Postman:

Jeez, Dave, it was the right call!

Yeah, you're objective... :rolleyes:

Similarly if the qb decides not to throw the ball, I think he's got posession even if he's still has his arm extended.
That call could have gone either way. It was entirely a judgment call. I maintain that the Raiders got hosed. Hey, it happens all the time in pro sports - it's part of the game. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

Besides, Giants fans have the bigger beef if you ask me. That was a bad call that kicked them out of the playoffs last year.
I actually agree with you. I think they were paying the price for Shockey being such an asshole.

And besides, even if the Raiders had beaten the Pats, the Bucs showed last year what the Rams would have done to them the year before, right? :D
Wrong; and, that may be the silliest thing I've heard you say yet, brother Postman.

A) The Rams ain't the Bucs

B) The Raiders former head coach/guy who wrote their playbook) wasn't coaching them

C) The Raiders night not have had to deal with their center going meshuggah (although, maybe they would've), and

D) The Raiders were a year younger.

How many more weeks till the Broncos play the Raiders?
Only a few, my brother. I'm sure you're anxious to get a shot at erasing last year's Monday night game, huh? ;):P:D

dB

A) Bite me, bub. ;)

B) One has nothing to do with the other.

C) Stupid injustice sucks, even after time goes by.

D) I don't blame the Pats for the tuck rule incident - I actually blame Jon Gruden, if the truth must be told. Earlier in that game, you could clearly see him cursing out the referee. I knew that was gonna be trouble when I saw it happening - I even made a comment about that at the time to the people I was watching the game with. The Raiders then got a ridiculous amount of penalties hurled at them, which were culminated by the tuck rule call.

E) I actually do not dislike the Pats - I was pulling for them in the Super Bowl, and was glad they won.

dB

Well, you called them Patsies, and I responded with a cheap shot of my own. ;)

The only thing that will turn them into Patsies this year is if Belichick fails to establish a strong running game a la the 2001 campaign. Last year he screwed the whole thing up when he played the back-by-committee game instead of giving Antoine his due - and Antoine responded in kind, by generating no yards.

I'm feeling a lot better about the Pats' run defense this year - no more 250yd rushing games!

Well, I didn't know this was down here. Now that I do I have to say GO BRONCOS! I've been a fan since randy gradishar played so I realize why you raider fans just can't see that We will return to the shanahan curse and put the raiders somewhere under the chargers. Maybe this is just a reaction to reading five pages of raiderettes talking way too much smack

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Well, you called them Patsies, and I responded with a cheap shot of my own. ;)

Gotcha. I actually meant nothing by it - it just came from living in New England for 13 years and hearing everyone else call them that. As I said earlier - I got no problem with the Pats.

Now, if we were talking about the Cowgirls - whole different story... ;)

dB

Originally posted by thrashole369:

Well, I didn't know this was down here. Now that I do I have to say GO BRONCOS!

Ewwwww, another Horsie fan. Thrash, you'll be riding Plummer out of town on a rail by week four, while we're still basking in the glory of Gannon.

And you better watch out for the Chiefs and Bolts...I think they're more of a threat in the AFC West than your team this year. And hey, shouldn't you be a Bengals fan or something? :D

- Jeff

Nope, I grew up in westminster colorado among other places. I like plummer being there because Shanahan really likes to toss the deep ball from time to time. The running game is most likely going to be solid but everyone in the AFC west can run. I'm actually hoping for the DB's and linebackers to improve. They have speed and youth so they are just going to get better. The O is almost as old as the raiders with smith, and Mccaffery etc. I will concede that I want Jerry rice and tim brown to have a good year though. Just not against the Broncos.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Gotcha. I actually meant nothing by it - it just came from living in New England for 13 years and hearing everyone else call them that. As I said earlier - I got no problem with the Pats.

Now, if we were talking about the Cowgirls - whole different story... ;)

dB

Fair enough. Thankfully, those dark days are long past.

Hear Hear re: the Dallas Felons!

Then you surely must know the Red Sox will NEVER win a World Series until they buy back Babe Ruth's contract. The Curse of the Bambino lives

Oh- while you were in NE, did you ever listen to WEEI 850, and Glenn Ordway, the BIG O :thu: Best sports talk radio I ever heard

BTW- For what its worth-- That tuck rule is the biggest load of horse manure. Raiders got so hosed, its not even funny.

"You can't enjoy yourself unless you're having fun."

Then you surely must know the Red Sox will NEVER win a World Series until they buy back Babe Ruth's contract. The Curse of the Bambino lives

BIll Buckner can certainly attest to that.. :eek:

Oh- while you were in NE, did you ever listen to WEEI 850, and Glenn Ordway, the BIG O :thu: Best sports talk radio I ever heard
Nah - can't say I did.

BTW- For what its worth-- That tuck rule is the biggest load of horse manure. Raiders got so hosed, its not even funny.
Agreed. Oh, well - whaddayagonnado?

dB

Man, the Sox have so many curses on them it's ridiculous.

They coulda had Willy Mays back when - they had first shot at his contract - but they decided to stay racist and keep their team lilly white. That's a bigger curse than selling off the Bambino. That's frickin' karma.

Originally posted by Postman:

Wrong; and, that may be the silliest thing I've heard you say yet, brother Postman.
Oh, come now. The silliest thing I ever said? No, no, I'm quite sure that would be, "I think the Raiders will win the Superbowl."

nyeh! :P

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Ewwwww, another Horsie fan.

Yep, you're surrounded, Bucko. Don't be a fool. Give up now. Come out real slow with your hands in the air.

Actually, Plummer's not the issue. Replace "quarter" with "corner" and you'll have what's got Broncos fans shaking in their boots right now.

Well, I'm not sure what to think of the 49ers this year.

Changes from last year:

Coach Marriucci - it is never good when a successful coach is fired not because of performance issues, but because the owner doesn't like him. The biggest critism of Mooch was that he was not agressive enough. Maybe so, but he was successful and he got far more out of his teams than the talent level would have indicated.

Coach Erickson will be a fine coach. He definitely has a different style than Mooch. He likes to throw the ball downfield, but he is not a big fan of split back formations. I'm not sure how he is going to utilizes one of this teams strengths - a very talented backfield with Hearst, Barlow, Beasley, Smith and Jackson.

J.J. Stokes is now gone - I've always been a big supporter of Stokes, but Tai Streets has made him expendable.

DE Chike Okeafor - coming off a breakout year with 6 sacks was signed as a free agent by Seattle. Good pickup for Seattle. Big loss for us. John Engleberger will move up to start. He is expected to be challenged by 3rd round draft pick Andrew Williams. Both are decent base ends, but expect to see a lot of Julian Peterson in the "elephant" position on 3rd downs.

DT Dana Stubblefield - released and signed by the Raiders (they seem to like our cast offs). His replacement was slated to be Jim Flanigan, but injuries in camp have side lined him and created a chance for 2nd round draft pick DT Anthony Adams or last years draft pick, DT Josh Shaw. With Bryant Young's skills (at least as a pass rusher) eroding and Stubby gone, once again we are not going to get a lot of pressure up the middle - which is crucial against St. Louis.

OT Kwami Harris, first round draft pick out of Stanford will not start, but will definitely get some playing time at RT in place of Fiori.

A nagging injury to probowl center Jeremey Newberry and the offseason release of backup center Ben Lynch has created a bit of a hole at center that is currently being filled by Dwayne Ledford (converted from backup Guard). Newberry is expected to play with nagging pain throughout the season.

Our secondary, linebackers and offensive backfield are pretty much intact from last year. Biggest question mark in the backfield is how Erickson will use Barlow and Hearst.

All in all, it looks like another year of rookie learning curves - this time on our Offensive and Defensive lines.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Originally posted by SFOracle:

DT Dana Stubblefield - released and signed by the Raiders (they seem to like our cast offs).

Yes, it's too bad those second-hand ex-Niners like Rice, Garner, Stubblefield, Romonowski, and Woodson are still hanging around. We sure didn't get anything out of those guys. :rolleyes:

See you in next week's game! :)

- Jeff

Yep, you're surrounded, Bucko. Don't be a fool. Give up now. Come out real slow with your hands in the air.

Actually, Plummer's not the issue. Replace "quarter" with "corner" and you'll have what's got Broncos fans shaking in their boots right now.

Speaking of replacing, who will be replacing Lee Flowers while he serves his 4 game suspension? All those steroids sure helped his ability to cover, didn't they ;) Steelers made the best move possible dumping his sorry no covering butt. :thu: We now have the uber safety TROY POLAMALU....

Does anyone else find it too damn bizarre to see Junior Seau in a Dolphins uniform? :confused:

db- Are you screwin with me, or did you seriously not know the Bolts cut Seau in the offseason? ;)

Free agency-- gotta love it.

You know, the more I think about it, the Falcons are starting to seem more and more viable as a serious contender this year. Michael Vick is a freak of nature...

who will be replacing Lee Flowers
I just hope he had a good time last year watching the "paper champions" walk away with the whole shebang.

Whatta loser.

The Fins are gonna be scary this year; the D is shored up nicely with Seau. If their QB situation pans out, they could conceivably go all the way.

Atlanta is just a step or two from the brink of greatness, they still need more speed on D and another weapon for the passing game to balance Price.

And the Bengals are going to be better than people think.

I bet the Cards go winless. Ya think?

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

And the Bengals are going to be better than people think.
That's like saying, wow, Ishtar really wasn't that bad of a movie, when you think about it. ;)

Marvin Lewis is a great coach, don't get me wrong, but the Bengals are, well, the Bungles. How many 1st round quarterback busts do they need (oh Akili, Akili, where are you?)

They'll win 5 or 6 games. Ditto the Cards.

WHAT??? No way!!!! I hadn't heard that...

Man, you're kidding me. It happened in April. He wanted out...they traded him for a 2004 draft pick.

Yeah, it'll be strange at first seeing Smith as a Cardinal, Price as a Falcon, Seau as a Dolphin, Stubblefield as a Raider and so on.

- Jeff

Kordell Stewart as a Bear (wait, that's good, especially for us Steelers fans! ;) ). I predict Rex Grossman will be starting by the 7th or 8th game. Its a shame, because Kordell is an incredible athlete. Just a bad quarterback...

Speaking of replacing, who will be replacing Lee Flowers while he serves his 4 game suspension?

Good question. If things don't change the Broncos are heading into the season with two rookies and Deltha O'Neal competing for the corner spots. Who ever heard of starting a rookie at corner? Don't you think he'd have to be pretty exceptional? The college game is totally different at that position. As far as Deltha, I don't know why, but I just don't think he's a no. 1 corner. I think he has too many let downs. So, I'm feeling a little trepidation and so is the rest of Denver from what I can tell. A top notch quarterback (like, say, Gannon) is going to eat them alive. My guess is that Shanahan is betting on early season offensive ineptitude to save the season. Hardly encouraging.

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

He wanted out...they traded him for a 2004 draft pick.

Yeah, that's what I heard, too. What I don't get is why everyone's picking the Chargers to challenge this year. If the team's that good, why would Seau have left?

Now, the Chiefs, that's a different matter. I think they're going to be tough this year. They really weren't rollovers last year.

Archived