Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

In any case, I don't want to see the Bucs repeat or Gruden's sweaty ass be-bopping around the Keys.

GO RAIDERS!

By the way, we signed our two top draft picks, and we need 'em. Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha and defensive end Tyler Brayton.

In not so happy news, Barret Robbins, Roland Williams, Mondriel Fulcher and Clarence Love failed their physicals and are on the PUP list.

- Jeff

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dan South:

Woo Hoo! One week to go! Jets and Bucs in Tokyo!

:thu:

Woo Hoo!

:thu::thu::thu:

Yesssss.....

The last "dark" weekend of the year.

I am SO ready for some football!!!!

Hey, here's an interesting question - do we do the survival pool in this thread, or does it get it's own thread? I'm thinking it should have it's own thread...

Whaddaya think?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Having (flakily) administered the pool a couple seasons ago, let me be the first to say that it DEFINITELY needs its own thread.

And, it would be way helpful if that thread were JUST for the pool...no commentary allowed. That's what this thread remains here for. It's already a pain in the ass going through and tallying everyone's scores without sifting through the "you suck" and "we rule" posts. :)

- Jeff

Another topic: Los Angeles Chargers...for or against?

Let me be the first to side with against. I don't think that having a loser franchise whose ownership refuses to spend the money needed to turn the organization around makes it worth not getting the double-header games broadcast (no blackouts with no team in our city).

The L.A. Bolts would be destined to be another Clippers (oddly enough, another San Diego transplant). Three years ago they were 1-15. Even in their improved mode with guys like Brees and Tomlinson, when you end up 8-8 after a 6-1 start, it's just not the championship-caliber team that would make the downside worthwhile.

- Jeff

I doubt it highly. San Diego is prepped to spend big bux to revamp the stadium and keep the Bolts. They LIKE hosting the Super Bowl, they like it a lot.

I'd be against it. A team I'd move to LA? The Cardinals. THAT would a nice irony. :)

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Jeff the Weasel:

Originally posted by Llarion:

Yeah, all of 'em should have been eligible about 2 years ago... :D:wave:

(ducking and running)

You better run, pal. And no hiding behind Sapp over there on the sideline. ;)

- Jeff

The man blocks out the sun, don't he? :D But, I think that head to head, right now, Booger McFarland has more potential to have a huge season. Simeon Rice is poised to have a record breaking sack year if Sapp/McFarland continue to draw the double teams.

I think the biggest mistake the Bucs made this offseason (besides not cutting that complete loser Pittman yet) is not digging really hard to get Kyle Turley. The o-line needed an aggressive maniac like him.

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Yeah, yeah...and in the conference finals the previous year, we should've won had it not been for an abysmal "tuck rule" calll...life goes on, nome sayn?

The word is "karma".

quote:

My early pick: Bucs-Titans...

That sounds like a good call, but it's more confusion than I could handle...an old home team v. the new home team. It's really, really hard to repeat in that league, but I like TB's chances as well as anybody's. It's hard to be that good 2 years in a row, but the Bucs could actually have a better offense. The Titans didn't get a break with the injuries last year, and they still got where they did. And as a burned-many-times Miami survivor, it's really hard saying this, but... Miami's got the horses. They could put it together. Also, the Rams would have been great with the right QB, and the Chiefs are starting to look an awful lot like the championship Rams.

As for you dueling AFC West guys, understand that one of your two teams has to finish last. You lost the Seahawks, so either the Broncs or Raiders has to finish last. So the drama is: do the Horsies fail to put a competent unit on the field, or do the Raiders all get old at the same time? One thing's for sure: if the 'Duhs finish last, they will whine about how they are a better team than the three teams in front of them.

Originally posted by dementia13:

As for you dueling AFC West guys, understand that one of your two teams has to finish last.

Well, there are those Bolts and Chiefs in the division too. ;)

The Raiders have a good schedule this year. Check it out...

Raiders @ Titans

Raiders vs. Bengals

Raiders @ Broncos

Raiders vs. Chargers

Raiders @ Bears

Raiders @ Browns

Raiders vs. Chiefs

BYE

Raiders @ Lions

Raiders vs. Jets

Raiders vs. Vikings

Raiders @ Chiefs

Raiders vs. Broncos

Raiders @ Steelers

Raiders vs. Ravens

Raiders vs. Packers

Raiders @ Chargers

Not an easy schedule, but a nicely distributed one. I'd say we have every reason to expect to repeat our performance as AFC champs and this time win the big one too.

It'll be nice, on the 20th anniversary of the last victory (Los Angeles Raiders, of course).

- Jeff

In less than 12 days, I'll be watching the first Raiders pre-season game, whoo-hoo!

http://www.raiders.com/images/pics/sbtrophies180.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1715000/images/_1717403_gannon150.jpg

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/raiders/pictures/1999/10/25/raider%20-264x217-fan.jpg

I'm ready. :evil::thu:

- Jeff

Having (flakily) administered the pool a couple seasons ago, let me be the first to say that it DEFINITELY needs its own thread.

And, it would be way helpful if that thread were JUST for the pool...no commentary allowed. That's what this thread remains here for. It's already a pain in the ass going through and tallying everyone's scores without sifting through the "you suck" and "we rule" posts. :)

Agreed.

A team I'd move to LA? The Cardinals. THAT would a nice irony. :)

Gawd no! The Cardinals belong in St. Louis along with their baseball brethren. Monkeying with that natural setup is what got us into this mess in the first place!

Another topic: Los Angeles Chargers...for or against?

I'd either like a fresh start with an expansion team or the return of the Rams sans Ms. Frontiere.

If we were forced to have a transplant team, I wouldn't mind the Chargers for sentimental reasons - they share their name with my high school alma matter. Even so, I agree that it would be nicer to import a franchise with a history of a championship or two.

Closing on a happy note - just think; one week from today the Green Bay Packers have the honor of playing the Kansas City Chiefs in the Canton, Ohio AFC-NFC Pro Football Hall of Fame Game! (7:00 PM on ABC)

G O

P A C K E R S ! ! !

http://www.packersproshop.com/images/products/20f.jpeg

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days! Four more days!

:)

- Jeff

It's really, really hard to repeat in that league, but I like TB's chances as well as anybody's. It's hard to be that good 2 years in a row, but the Bucs could actually have a better offense.
Indeed it will be. Just by virtue of their actually being comfortable with Gruden's complex system. That, plus upgrades on the line, and a couple of burners added to the receiving corps for a deep threat, the potential is certainly thre for them to be a lot better. The scary part is that last year's D is probably one of the 3 best in history (thinking of the 1985 Bears and the 2000 Ravens here), but this year's D is even BETTER. A healthy McFarland clogging the middle will help the run D, and collect some double teams, freeing up Sapp, and Derrick Brooks may not be the fastest person on the defense anymore with the addition of hard-hitting Dwayne Rudd from Cleveland. (hope he keeps his temper in check). Dwight Smith moving to safety may well be an upgrade, and he can rotate back to nickel in situations, because Jermaine Phillips is ready. That, and there's actually depth at corner, because Corey Ivy and Tim Wansley are both very strong. the second string line (Ron Warner, Ellis Wyms, Chartirc Darby, and Dewayne White) is probably better than the first teamers of half the NFL.

The biggest question is at running back. It could be another "platoon" year. I think that Thomas Jones was acquired to replace Pittman (good riddance, we should have snared Stephen Davis) but he does not upgrade that position really.

The NFC South is gonna be scary, Atlanta is really strong with more speed on D, and Perless Price.

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

The Skins released Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson. Instead of paying him his $3.5M, they wanted to pay him $2M plus $1.5M based on performance incentives (he had a rather crappy year last season, only 16 sacks). The Skins probably should have brought in another tackle before announcing this to Wilkinson, since they're down to two guys they recently signed as free agents. they're scouring the league for anyone getting released from camp now.

- Jeff

And in other news, a second Jaguar lineman collapsed from heat exhaustion in less than a week. These happening at the same time as Korey Stringer's widow announced her suit against the NFL for the same reason is probably not a good thing.

- Jeff

Well, there are those Bolts and Chiefs in the division too.

That's not the Bolts and Chiefs of two or three years ago. They've both had a couple of years of Vermeil and JJ (Jimmy Johnson is working for the Chargers as a draft consultant) retooling those teams. The Chargers have become scary talented, while the Chiefs have become scary fast. The Raiders are becoming scary old.

That said, the Raiders are full of experienced talent. I'm wary of trying to guess a team's performance based on what they did last year, because sometimes it just doesn't work that way. The thing I like about TB is, even if the defense slips, the offense could improve enough to take up the slack. And Pittman's not that bad, by the way.

Hey Packer fans- what happened to your team midway through the season? Favre's still a great offensive leader, that could be a fun team to watch. The only reason I'm not jonesing more for football season right now, is that this baseball season's being pretty good to me. Right now, the Marlins are only one game out of the Wild Card lead, in the middle of a home series with Arizona who're right behind them. Three All-stars, spectacular defense, and actually trading to get players for a change...haven't seen this since Jim Leyland was in town.

Jesus Horatio Christ!!!

I avoid the forums for a few weeks while adjusting to life with a newborn and BANG!!! 3 pages in on the new football thread.

And double-Bang!! : Jeff proves once again to be the funniest crafter of avatars around -- 'Weasel 5000' is sublime.... (and ps: you still owe me a weasel in a Bucs helmet for last year, but I'd understand completely if you change it only for 5 minutes at some obscure-off-peak hour)

I hereby promise minimal Buc gloating, and plenty of new pictures of Pam Oliver's mix-o-lot-ian dorsal majesty on the Bucs sidelines when the regular season starts. ...

-dave

DAVE GREENBERG

SONOPOD MASTERING

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Hey, here's an interesting question - do we do the survival pool in this thread, or does it get it's own thread? I'm thinking it should have it's own thread...

Whaddaya think?

FWIW, I'd agree with your thinking.

DAVE GREENBERG

SONOPOD MASTERING

Archived