Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003 NFL Thread!

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what embarrasses me about being in marketing. The constant need to do something louder, more controversial than the last guy.

There's no reason in the world for Rush to be thrust into my attempt to appreciate a game of football. If he starts on his rhetoric (if???) during a game, I'm seriously going to start organizing a protest.

And, of course, some weasel would consider the fact that we're even talking about it to prove it a successful maneuver. :rolleyes:

The only place to hit them in in the wallet, which would involve contacting the ESPN advertisers enough to tell them that they are going to be affiliated with Limbaigh via their ad dollar support. Not that I'm pre-judging the guy...I only have his track record to go off of.

- Jeff

Originally posted by BILLEVANS:

I just want to be the first to congratulate the Denver Broncos in advance, on thier AFC West division championship,as well as the AFC Championship, and of coarse The Super Bowl.

Oh, yeah...that's gonna happen. :rolleyes:

They'll be lucky to finish second in the division, Jake Plummer or any of their other four new QBs notwithstanding.

Go Raiders!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Dave,

I'm not sure how many games you've seen Mr.Plumber play......he is a great quarterback! I've seen him be a complete BALLER the last few years in zona. The cards suck, always have, but he made them exciting,just ask the cowgirls.

Gannon is old,as well as the whole team. Teams will have figured out his pass protection from last season,so he's going DOWN BABY. No more of those "manly" 5-8 yard dinks over the middle(I know what im talking about here ie:brian greise).

"Commitment to Ex-Lax".

You have to be kidding me, Billevans.

The Broncos will be the laughing stock of the AFC West this year. Not only will they be destroyed by the Raiders, but I predict your Horsies will be at the bottom of the barrel. Yes, I think you will have a worse season than the Chargers and the Chiefs, much less the Raiders. You will not make the playoffs. You will not pass "go". You will not collect your $200. ;)

- Jeff

Laughing stock......LOL!

Spoken like a true raiders criminal...er..fan. :P

So you think last huh? Gee,real objective there jeff. So you think that Jake plumber is worse that brian? We went 11-5 w/ griese's ass. Not to mention he injured all our guys by throwing 15 feet up in the air over the middle( poor Mccaffery).

I guaran-fuqin-Tee we will win the division! :D

As a displaced Arizonan I may be a little biased, but I agree that Jake Plummer is the type of quarterback who can elevate a team to a new level. However, he's no John Elway; and even Elway couldn't make the Broncos champs until he had a championship team behind him. Sorry, but I don't see the Broncos as Super Bowl champs this year. (As a Broncos fan, I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.)

As for the "aging" Raiders, I keep reading about how old they are; but they have yet to demonstrate that age is a negative factor. Now playing in the Super Bowl against their former coach, that was a negative factor! :D With continuing advances in science and medicine, each generation manages to hold on to physical youth a little longer than the last; and the knowledge and wisdom that comes with age is often a compensating factor for the loss in agility and strength.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that at some point these Raiders will be too old for football. I'm just not sure that this will be the year that happens...

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Dave,

I'm not sure how many games you've seen Mr.Plumber play......he is a great quarterback!

I've seen him play plenty, brother Bill.

Hey, if he's so great, why are there five QBs in Bronco camp right now? ;)

I've seen him be a complete BALLER the last few years in zona. The cards suck, always have, but he made them exciting,just ask the cowgirls.
Ahhh - I love people who insult Dallas...so at least we agree there... :evil:

I love Raiders/Broncos games... :D

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

We'll be waiting...see you @ Invesco Monday night 9/22, white man. :evil:

I love Raiders/Broncos games... :D

dB

Oh yeah...MNF, Raiders/Broncos. That's the best. I live for that game every year.

Billevans, I am the last guy in the world for objectivity in regard to the Horsies. I'll never even pretend to be unbiased, but at least we can have some fun poking at each other from now through early February 2004.

Actually, I'll stop poking fun at your when you don't make the playoffs. I'm not cruel, ya know. :D

- Jeff

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

As for the "aging" Raiders, Now playing in the Super Bowl against their former coach, that was a negative factor! :D

Never has truer word been spoken! Watch the tape and you get the impression that The Bucs could've played with 9 or 10 guys and still won that one... There's no substituting an advantage like the other coach has your playbook...and full up to date personnell profiles!!!
TROLL . . . ish.

Dave,

Sure,sure 9-7 last year.Us Denver folks have kinda blocked out the last 3 years w/ ole brian back there. What I meant was that even w/ brian (aka corpse on rollerblades) we went 11-5. Now imagine what Mr.Plumber is gonna do, maybe 11-5 12-4 w/ a possible trip to the conference finals. Im not sure if you remember....but in the final game of the year between the raiders and broncs,we could have easlily won,had it not been for "wonderboy".Remember our defense last year? Its gonna be Buddy Ryan style this year baby.Bring back the 46.

I cant believe how good Gannon was last year.I dont think he'll ever replicate that performance. So I hope ya enjoyed your little run:)

When's the last time you guys won one anyways? :P:P

Maybe Deion could help...... :D:D

Im not sure if you remember....but in the final game of the year between the raiders and broncs,we could have easlily won,had it not been for "wonderboy".

Yeah, yeah...and in the conference finals the previous year, we should've won had it not been for an abysmal "tuck rule" calll...life goes on, nome sayn?

Maybe Deion could help......

Over my dead body... :eek:

dB

Im not sure if you remember....but in the final game of the year between the raiders and broncs,we could have easlily won,had it not been for "wonderboy".

Last season, we beat you:

34-10 (November 11)

28-16 (December 22)

I'm assuming you're referring to the last game, where your team couldn't go three minutes without making a horribly bad penalty. I don't think the loss was any individual's fault.

I believe that was the game that Gannon broke a few records, and Griese was destroyed by Romo, and the only reason you got in the game at all was a superb effort by Beurlein. Was that the game you meant? ;)

- Jeff

Back to the Limbaugh thing for a moment; While Rush is a self caricature and laughing stock, over the years of listening to him, he does seem to be a legitimate student of the game, and *could* actually be a very good addition. Unfortunately, he will probably try to spin his team losing (Pittsburgh?) as Clinton's fault and it'll be a joke.

I *liked* Miller on MNF.

Now then, all this AFC talk, why won't anyone discuss the Bucs' dominating D actually being BETTER this year, and the offense jelling with a full year under Gruden's system? They look to be absolutely scary good if they can keep their players out of jail and settle the running game issues down. :wave:

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Llarion:

I *liked* Miller on MNF.

Now then, all this AFC talk, why won't anyone discuss the Bucs' dominating D actually being BETTER this year, and the offense jelling with a full year under Gruden's system? They look to be absolutely scary good if they can keep their players out of jail and settle the running game issues down. :wave:

I liked Miller too..

The Tampa Bay future comes down to this...avoiding injuries. They do that, and they write there own ticket back to the bowl....and win again! Not even my team, but that damn D is gonna be talked about til the end of time and we all know it. The Offense is just getting started. The rest of the NFC jockeying for position is gonna be fun to watch. I LOVE Philly, always have, but there wasting Donavan's best years by tearing down the team around him... I think Philly gets beat by Atlanta this year...maybe. It seems the Saints believe they got better because they have quicker D this year, which will help to contain Vick like Tampa does. Last year, that was a problem but the most glaring one was the lack of good back up quarterbacking when Aaron Brooks was hurt, that and the fact that they played Brooks hurt speaks loudly of the coaching as well cause he was awful! Anyone on the bench could have done better than that, what was the deal?!

I think Green Bay is gonna slide this year, not because they didn't imrove the team, but because this year is the year we notice the decline of Brett Favre. I think that playoff game against Vick was the mark point. Atlanta, well if things go well, they'll beat everybody but Tampa. Vick throws more this year but there'll be more pressure too... Othere NFC teams improving on, and drafting for Defensive speed & new Vick schemes being worked on will slow them down but only a bit. I think there about 2 years away. Giants look to be in hunt, but Im not quite sharp on them yet so I'll wait to see how camp goes etc. The AFC... Not on my mind today..

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

The Tampa Bay future comes down to this...avoiding injuries. They do that, and they write there own ticket back to the bowl....and win again!

(snip)

I think Green Bay is gonna slide this year, not because they didn't imrove the team, but because this year is the year we notice the decline of Brett Favre. I think that playoff game against Vick was the mark point.

meccajay, I have to both agree and disagree with you. I agree that the way to win a Super Bowl is to be a great team that has not been decimated by injuries. That's why I believe that Green Bay's game against Atlanta does more to prove your point about injuries than it does to indicate the decline of Brett Favre or the Packers.

It's important to remember that Favre played injured for the last part of the season. Also, as the season wound down, Favre lost the support of his starting tackles, Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher forcing starting center, Mike Flanagan, to move to left tackle to take the place of Clifton. It's no wonder then that this Packers offense that fell apart in the season finale against the Jets and in the playoff game against the Falcons.

I'm actually more concerned about Green Bay's defense. Reggie White left a big hole when he retired after the 1998 season that the Packers have yet to fill. Even so, the Packers D is good enough that I wouldn't rule Green Bay out of contention just yet. ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Isn't every zone an "Old Raiders zone"? :D

Seriously, I know they're not a bunch of kids. I think for at least this year, we've got a good mix of players whose experience will matter. There are very few AFC teams that concern me at the moment (especially not the Broncos), but as you know, a LOT can change at the start of a season. If we can be injury free, there's still every possibility of the Fogies making it back to the Super Bowl again.

And this time, no steenking Tampa Butt Pirates or their coach will stop us! :)

- Jeff

I can't look at this thread any more. I'm jonesing for football too badly. This always happens to me around the all-star break of baseball, when I'm horrified to discover I actually know people's ERA's and batting averages.

Must...hang...on. NFL...(gasp)...coming...(choke)...soon.

- Jeff

I'm jonesing too, I just watched the super bowl on DVD (heh heh heh, we won AGAIN, how cool! :wave: ) Plus, one of the sports talk stations here (1010 for you Tampa folk) is rerunning last season's radio broadcasts for the next 2 weeks during afternoon drive; so I get to listen to the 4th quarter of every game driving home!

Mecca, you're right. Injuries can kill ya, but it depends on your depth. TB is deep on D, (except at corner, really) and at RB and receiver, but a key injury to Brad Johnson, or A-Train, or Roman Oben, and we've got trouble.

I think Favre will run out of gas midway thought the year. I think he should go out on top.

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Geoff and Jeff, :confused:

I totally agree. Brett should go out on top,like Elway(2nd greatest of all-time). I just cant see it this year,given thier weak-ass secondary.

The Broncos, on the other hand(with 2 shiny rings)will set some major rushing records this season(did i say 2000 yards?).Portis is gonna go off,like he did last year.This year he will maaaaannnn up.With Mike anderson blocking,you'll be able to drive a honda accord throught that hole.

Anyways, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE REGULAR SEASON BABY!

BRONCOS raiders 9/22

Ah yeah babay

Well geoff I wish the best for Farve, best case-, he could take Donovan & The Eagles spot in the Championship game if it goes well for him. The Eagles have been doing far too much with too little for too long. My early bet is the Falcons or Giants will be taking that spot.

God please make it preseason...please now..pleeeaaaase!!

TROLL . . . ish.

• 2 weeks later...

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Jon Gruden is the master motivator, but he may have outdone himself this time.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach told Playboy Magazine in its September issue that winning the Super Bowl was the biggest thrill of his life and that he'll dance down a highway in Tampa wearing only a jockstrap if the Bucs repeat as champions.

Gruden laughed today when his words were repeated to him. He said the comment was made in jest, not a motivational ploy to grab the attention of his players in training camp.

He said he was being sarcastic, but nevertheless he didn't back off the promise.

:eek:

dB

Archived